Options

a slight bit of bragging ..

Comments

• Options
    ManchesterlsREDManchesterlsRED Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    No offense but it seems like the worst movie ever made.

Reflects badly on everyone (director, production team, whoever made that god awful trailer but you)

Congratulations on the story :)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offense but it seems like the worst movie ever made.

What do you base that on out of interest ?

Just the trailer ?
  • Options
    ManchesterlsREDManchesterlsRED Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    What do you base that on out of interest ?

Just the trailer ?

Absolutely nothing to do with the story mate, that's why i said congrats.

The thing about movie trailers is, you watch it and it leaves an impression. That specific trailer didn't pull me into the story, it just seems like an unprofessional clip to clip trailer made on a computer. One of the actors seems abit poor too :P

Ive also heard that trailer music like 1000 times so its very unoriginal when i hear it
    I dont even know what the story is going by that trailer.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jason :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play, thanks for that :)

Thing is, with the story being as it is, it's not really something you could properly tease in a trailer without having voiceover man.

Even a line along the lines of "when the fate of the world is at stake .." would probably give you a teeny bit of a nudge towards wanting to watch it.

But hey, i'm not going to moan too much I suppose :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a frikkin' DVD cover now .. which does actually explain the story a bit .. :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/25im3rl.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is 1 minute, 27 seconds of your time and it's a film trailer (for those of you who 'don't click on links') ..

Pay close attention to the credits ...

http://youtu.be/3LMw-QmGiiw

not the type of film i'm into but the filming/presintation etc looks good all the best heep writing. good
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it 90% cigars, 10% globes?
  • Options
    LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're Jason Watkins, then I'm Ted Cunterblast...;)

I wish with all my heart that Cunterblast was a genuine surname... oh you have no idea :D
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha, congrats Jason.

The acting is a bit of an eyebrow raiser, but the story sounds great :D You should be proud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It reminds me a tad of Devil (2010).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminds me a tad of Devil (2010).

i've seen that actually - quite liked it. i do tend to find i've written a lot of stuff in single locations, or no more than 2 or 3, because i tended to think it would be cheaper to make and i'd stand a better chance of someone picking it up.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all style and no substance
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've seen that actually - quite liked it. i do tend to find i've written a lot of stuff in single locations, or no more than 2 or 3, because i tended to think it would be cheaper to make and i'd stand a better chance of someone picking it up.

Have you ever thought of writing for stage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all style and no substance

would have helped if you'd put "the trailer is.." ;)
    Have you ever thought of writing for stage?

I have actually. If I could come up with a decent enough story, i'd certainly give it a go. i suppose it would still cost money to put it on, but probably a lot less than actually filming it and getting all the equipment sorted e.t.c..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would have helped if you'd put "the trailer is.." ;)

I have actually. If I could come up with a decent enough story, i'd certainly give it a go. i suppose it would still cost money to put it on, but probably a lot less than actually filming it and getting all the equipment sorted e.t.c..

Well by the sounds of this films story, it sounded to me like it belonged on the stage, rather than on film (without a big budget).

Perhaps you could rework it for the stage! Just an idea, and if you're set on film, then cool :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well by the sounds of this films story, it sounded to me like it belonged on the stage, rather than on film (without a big budget).

Perhaps you could rework it for the stage! Just an idea, and if you're set on film, then cool :D

It certainly could have worked on stage, but it would have to have had at least another hour's worth of plot added to it, and I did wonder at the time if it would have been a bit boring.

That and my status as self-taught I suppose - I hadn't really learnt the intricacies of plotting and pacing so I just tried to keep it down to about half an hour.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great looking DVD cover.

I notice it says from an idea by Jason Watkins and screenplay by yourself and two others (I think are actors in the production). So how much of the screenplay is yours in the final cut?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly could have worked on stage, but it would have to have had at least another hour's worth of plot added to it, and I did wonder at the time if it would have been a bit boring.

That and my status as self-taught I suppose - I hadn't really learnt the intricacies of plotting and pacing so I just tried to keep it down to about half an hour.

Most story writers have a few years worth of story in their heads, and I see why you might have shortened it for a short (student?) Film.

I would suggest writing either A) a full screen play, or B) Working it for stage.

Like you say, its much cheaper to go to stage but perhaps less profitable, assuming of course you make a profit from filming it? And if not, putting work on stage is definitely cheaper!

The story sounds cool, which is why I'm suggestive..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most story writers have a few years worth of story in their heads, and I see why you might have shortened it for a short (student?) Film.

I would suggest writing either A) a full screen play, or B) Working it for stage.

Like you say, its much cheaper to go to stage but perhaps less profitable, assuming of course you make a profit from filming it? And if not, putting work on stage is definitely cheaper!

The story sounds cool, which is why I'm suggestive..

Thankyou :)

I've got a half-written full length screenplay actually. Not unsurprisingly, it's set in a single location :)

I wouldn't want to adapt it though because for this one, the location is probably as important as the story itself. Once I really get going again, I certainly think i'll try and come up with something that could work on stage.
    Liparus wrote: »
    Great looking DVD cover.

I notice it says from an idea by Jason Watkins and screenplay by yourself and two others (I think are actors in the production). So how much of the screenplay is yours in the final cut?

The main thing that's changed in the screenplay overall is a lot of the dialogue. The actual 'mechanics' of the story, in the sense of the structure, the plot and the twists and turns are all mine. Dialogue-wise, there are still plenty of lines I wrote in the final cut, but then the other two did polish it up a bit - and, rather annoyingly, made it a lot better :D
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a frikkin' DVD cover now .. which does actually explain the story a bit .. :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/25im3rl.jpg

the special features have sold the dvd for me, interactive menus thats the bare minimum of what i want from a dvd menu. Is it play and chapters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the special features have sold the dvd for me, interactive menus thats the bare minimum of what i want from a dvd menu. Is it play and chapters?

It had bloody better be :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou :)

I've got a half-written full length screenplay actually. Not unsurprisingly, it's set in a single location :)

I wouldn't want to adapt it though because for this one, the location is probably as important as the story itself. Once I really get going again, I certainly think i'll try and come up with something that could work on stage.

Do some Site Specific Theatre, man :D
  • Options
    TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Is this one of those dirty films? Where can I get hold of it? :confused:
  • Options
    LuckyM2012LuckyM2012 Posts: 6,136
    Forum Member
    Well done!:)