Weirdest Film Ever?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
Forum Member
a few weeks ago, I stumbled across the trailer for a film called House (Hausu). For some reason I feel compelled to see this film, even though I know it will result in nothing more than utter confusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NN0HVJ5tkIM

But confusion can be good too, right? Most of David Lynch's output seems to fall into this category.

So, I was wondering if anyone eles had any recommendations for films that weren't good, weren't bad but were just way out there?

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubber - A film about a tyre (yes, a tyre) that is possessed & kills people.:eek:
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teeth
    A woman's vagina has a tooth in it and everytime someone goes to rape or have sex with her, it kills
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Rubber - A film about a tyre (yes, a tyre) that is possessed & kills people.:eek:

I heard a lot about that film when it came out but never actually saw it since it felt, from what I've seen/read a somewhat contrived attempt to appear unconventional and odd. But my judgement might have been tainted by the fact it was released around the same time a number of other 'quirky' films were clearly competing for cult status.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gozu - is terrifyingly weird but it really is a sweet film about love.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have already shared my list in a similar recent thread: Strangest film ever.
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I have already shared my list in a similar recent thread: Strangest film ever.

How did that thread pass me by? :confused:
    I noticed you mentioned Hausu - so, how was it? worth the £16 I'll have to pay to watch it?
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Gozu - is terrifyingly weird but it really is a sweet film about love.

just watched the trailer. I couldn't make head nor tail what that was about but the woman giving birth to the man was something I saw in Extro.

might have to get me a copy though.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything directed by Peter Greenaway
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    The Cell.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    How did that thread pass me by? :confused:
    I noticed you mentioned Hausu - so, how was it? worth the £16 I'll have to pay to watch it?

I don't know your taste in film so I'm not sure. This tale of a haunted house is made incomprehensible on purpose, but it does play on puns, witticisms, gags, cultural references and satirical pokes.

For example: there is a scene where a character plays piano and she loses her fingers. It's a nod at a time when there was a trend for children to practise piano every Saturday morning. Hence, this childhood joke: "My fingers disappeared last Saturday." E.g. they practised so hard that their fingers went numb. There are many other similar references.

In folk mythology, for instance, a mirror is a gateway to another you. There is an idea that each person has three selves: public you, private you and inner you. The mirror apparently can reveal the inner you. The water represents purity and the afterlife, so when a ghost's long hair in the water of your bath, it's contaminated, e.g. you can't die with grace (it's against Shinto belief to bury a dirty body). The length of a ghost's hair is a measurement of strength or anger as there is a folk belief that hair keeps growing after a wronged woman dies. Longer the ghost's hair, more difficult to kill the ghost. The list just goes on. Ringu or Ringu 2 has a better spin on all this, but I digress.

Most sly digs and references are lost in translation, though, but they aren't important, anyway. There are three main layers: visual, characters and sly digs through dialogue, and they have nothing to do with each other. The director is more into making each fear come alive by any means, however bizarre. :D It's basically a nonsensical campy film.

You're better off renting it because imo, it's ideal for a one-time viewing only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything by David Lynch. Discussion over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd contribute but discussion is over?
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Tree of Life

A film with too much riddles. Arty crap that wants you see things that arent there. Other people claiming they are soo clever that they get it.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    Tree of Life

A film with too much riddles. Arty crap that wants you see things that arent there. Other people claiming they are soo clever that they get it.

as opposed to people claiming they are so clever by seeing straight through the ruse.

Hausu is definitely up there, but I think it's weird in all the right kind of ways. It's a lot of fun to watch even though I don't think i'd have the energy to watch it often.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I thought Tideland was a weird one.

A Snake of June was unusual too but interesting.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    a few weeks ago, I stumbled across the trailer for a film called House (Hausu). For some reason I feel compelled to see this film, even though I know it will result in nothing more than utter confusion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NN0HVJ5tkIM

But confusion can be good too, right? Most of David Lynch's output seems to fall into this category.

So, I was wondering if anyone eles had any recommendations for films that weren't good, weren't bad but were just way out there?

wow , I have to see that movie .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Gingerdead Man
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere (1997) - Gregg Araki
    Forum Member
    I don't know your taste in film so I'm not sure. This tale of a haunted house is made incomprehensible on purpose, but it does play on puns, witticisms, gags, cultural references and satirical pokes.

For example: there is a scene where a character plays piano and she loses her fingers. It's a nod at a time when there was a trend for children to practise piano every Saturday morning. Hence, this childhood joke: "My fingers disappeared last Saturday." E.g. they practised so hard that their fingers went numb. There are many other similar references.

In folk mythology, for instance, a mirror is a gateway to another you. There is an idea that each person has three selves: public you, private you and inner you. The mirror apparently can reveal the inner you. The water represents purity and the afterlife, so when a ghost's long hair in the water of your bath, it's contaminated, e.g. you can't die with grace (it's against Shinto belief to bury a dirty body). The length of a ghost's hair is a measurement of strength or anger as there is a folk belief that hair keeps growing after a wronged woman dies. Longer the ghost's hair, more difficult to kill the ghost. The list just goes on. Ringu or Ringu 2 has a better spin on all this, but I digress.

Most sly digs and references are lost in translation, though, but they aren't important, anyway. There are three main layers: visual, characters and sly digs through dialogue, and they have nothing to do with each other. The director is more into making each fear come alive by any means, however bizarre. :D It's basically a nonsensical campy film.

You're better off renting it because imo, it's ideal for a one-time viewing only.

sounds like you got more from this film than I would have got. Saying 'it's a nonsensical campy film' only makes me want to see it more but as you suggested, it does appear to be one of those film that you only need to see once in a lifetime.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    In folk mythology, for instance, a mirror is a gateway to another you. There is an idea that each person has three selves: public you, private you and inner you. The mirror apparently can reveal the inner you.

This sort of reminds me of a weird film called Dreams That Money Can Buy (1947), which comes on now and again and is one of the weirdest films I've seen. A man discovers that he can see the contents of his mind unfolding when he looks into his eyes through a mirror. He then realises that he can use this skill on others to sell them dreams. We then get seven different dream sequences of varying weirdness (each sequence done by a different artist). Very surreal.

You can watch this free online at archive.org as it's in the Public Domain.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen Sextette a musical with Timothy Dalton and Mae West, in I think her last role. Not only is it weird, its just wrong.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motorama (1991) is a great but totally bizarre film which was directed by Barry Shils. A 10 year old boy steals a car and goes on a road trip across a dystopian version of America, while being pursued by the doctor from Star Trek Voyager and - at one point - arm wrestling Meatloaf in a pub. It's also got Jack Nance from Twin Peaks and Eraserhead in it. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely try to get hold of it!
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pokemon the first movie. Very strange. Mew too.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Otik: A couple unable to have children decide to treat a tree stump like a baby. It comes to life and grows and starts killing people. :o