Tiswas

13»

Comments

• Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    A so-called strongman attempted to lift Bernard Manning and Big Daddy while they sat on chairs at the end of a pole. He failed miserably.
    I remember Bernard Manning ad-libbing to the strongman, "Who's your agent? Martin Boormann?" My Dad couldn't stop laughing...

I remember V1.0 of Tiswas too, when it was pretty much a kids' version of ATV Today, with John Asher, who somehow had a hit single just after he left with his version of "Let's Twist Again"... and yes, the continuity announcer Peter Tomlinson was a legend - his Friday night intros to the "Appointment With Fear" horror movies with his toy panda were fantastic... I think Tiswas was probably one of the first kids' programmes to actively gain an adult/student following, which was how it ended up mutating into the "classic" version we all remember... I didn't see it myself, but I'm sure I'm right in saying they did a university tour with a live version of the show...

OTT was a weird misfire though - in theory it should have been perfect post-pub Saturday night viewing, but it simply wasn't funny enough... a 45-minutes clip show would probably be worth seeing though...
  • cliftonhillcliftonhill Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    There's a clip on Youtube of Lenny Henry doing one of his Trevor McDoughnut when he suddenly turns round and sees Trevor McDonald standing behind him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PeSdu7MUCw

Ah yes, the good old days of Lenny when he was actually funny!
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    No, they tend to make things safer.

On the TISWAS Reunited show, Sally James recalled a story where they let a live bear into the studio full of children. It managed to break away from it's handler. "Mercifully, nothing happened", said Chris.

Would you want any child to be exposed to that sort of risk?

Well, to be quite frank...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    No, they tend to make things safer.

On the TISWAS Reunited show, Sally James recalled a story where they let a live bear into the studio full of children. It managed to break away from it's handler. "Mercifully, nothing happened", said Chris.

Would you want any child to be exposed to that sort of risk?

Not that extreme but they go silly on gameshows.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, the good old days of Lenny when he was actually funny!

What a long time ago that was

Lenny as Trevor McDoughnut interviewing Lenny as David Bellamy and Lenny as Algernon Razzmatazz

At about a minute in you can hear Chris Tarrant say "Don't say those idiot scriptwriters have been sniffing glue again!!" :D
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love The Bucket of Water Song
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    What a long time ago that was

Lenny as Trevor McDoughnut interviewing Lenny as David Bellamy and Lenny as Algernon Razzmatazz

At about a minute in you can hear Chris Tarrant say "Don't say those idiot scriptwriters have been sniffing glue again!!" :D

Just noticed I forgot to actually post the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdqhm_Lqe8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who can forget when Bob Carolgees has his finger up Sylvester McCoys nose and Lenny & Chris are pissing themselves laughing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love The Bucket of Water Song

I have got that on vinyl..... by The Bucketeers. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really dont get why there is so little in the archives. Maybe if the archivists actually pulled their finger out they would see just how much is out there.