Late Show with David Letterman (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    fayebeatle wrote: »
    I know the Letterman Show has had a sad rap on British TV. If Stephen Colbert takes over i hope we get to see it, Colbert is an Anglophile. He loves Tolkein ( the recent Hobbit comic-con panel was hosted by him) and Sherlock. He's beautifully silly too.

The issue is not the host, it's that a daily show is an enormous commitment, and most people don't care enough to watch every day, which is why show's tend not to survive, unless the network owns the rights anyway (as with Chelsea on E! and Tonight Show on CNBC)...
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Corden confirmed as new Late Late Show host by CBS:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/fall-premieres/news/1003084
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Media Hint add-on for Firefox and Chrome that enabled you to access geo-IP restricted US video streams
    from the likes of CBS.com and NBC.com on the web outside the US , is no longer free. They now charge a
    subscription fee of $3.95 per month or $39.50 per year. It didn't take long for greed to take over.

Paying any type of subscription, for what is effectively a form of online piracy, totally defeats the purpose of
    accessing these geo-IP restricted video streams outside the US when they're meant to be free to view,
    regardless of who watches them, wherever they are in the world.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    The Media Hint add-on for Firefox and Chrome that enabled you to access geo-IP restricted US video streams
    from the likes of CBS.com and NBC.com on the web outside the US , is no longer free. They now charge a
    subscription fee of $3.95 per month or $39.50 per year. It didn't take long for greed to take over.

Paying any type of subscription, for what is effectively a form of online piracy, totally defeats the purpose of
    accessing these geo-IP restricted video streams outside the US when they're meant to be free to view,
    regardless of who watches them, wherever they are in the world.

That’s a shame, the Media Hint add on was really good. To be honest I haven’t used it in a while as right now I can either watch the US programmes I want on UK television somewhere or watch the highlights on YouTube.
    I think there are other free add ons/extensions that do the same job as Media Hint though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've already downloaded the add-on into Firefox/Chrome then it still seems to be working - for me anyway.

I think the issue comes if you haven't already got it on your system as they now charge to get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a good free alternative:

http://hola.org/

Seems to work in Firefox - again, like Media Hint, it installs an add-on extension if you click the "Start" button on that page. Then when on the site you want you click the little icon near the top right of Firefox and choose USA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBS have confirmed that the final Late Show with David Letterman will air on Wednesday 20th May 2015.
    No other details have been announced but I really hope they have at least one primetime special looking back over the his past 20 years on CBS, or even better, his past 30+ years in late night (NBC and CBS) – not sure if the rights might be an issue with that though.

No news on when the Late Show with Stephen Colbert will premier, but my guess is late August/early September.

And in related news, in case you’ve missed it, the final Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson airs next Friday (the 19th) and The Late Late Show with James Corden will premier on Monday 9th March 2015. The final The Colbert Report airs next Thursday (the 18th) on Comedy Central.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a615804/david-lettermans-final-late-show-to-air-on-wednesday-may-20.html#~oY7L0ycwDN9ceV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    The Late show has just posted this mashup of Darlene Love's 20 years worth of performances, in preparation for her FINAL performance on Friday night. The final minute or so of the video gave me a slight tear. As someone who has loved this tradition for nearly 10 years I am going to be so sad when it is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfurmGiKZ5k
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fans of this thread might also want to know (if they don’t know already) that the last ever ‘Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson’ airs this Friday night on CBS. Also, the last ever episode of ‘The Colbert Report’ airs this Thursday night on Comedy Central US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the last ever Late Show Christmas show aired on Friday, and it didn't disappoint.

CBS have uploaded a fair few clips to YouTube:

Darlene Love chat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDycaB6gpdw

Josh Brolin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92dUT2fktY

Paul Shaffer and Cher's hands in a "muff" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgZNVdKuLPc

The one and only Lone Ranger story with Jay Thomas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEsbXXsiUUg

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzj3S2p2W44

Holiday Quarterback Challenge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcb2wmkcIcY

Monologue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s-aXPZEAgY

Top Ten - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LieC3bFTtyo

Web exclusive video with Paul Shaffer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Vu2Y67DMY

Happy Christmas everyone! :D

I know this thread seems to have died a death but nice to check in from time to time as we near the end of Dave's run.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now the show ended should this thread be in USTV shows now as its not coming back on UK TV at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now the show ended should this thread be in USTV shows
    now as its not coming back on UK TV at all?
    The Late Show With David Letterman hasn't ended yet. Dave's last ever Late Show is on 20th May 2015.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Bill Murray must be a cert for the last show. Who else would we guess?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBS has confirmed that Stephen Colbert’s Late Show will premier on Tuesday 8th September 2015.

No news on what will fill the 3+ month gap between Letterman leaving and Colbert starting.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a621021/stephen-colbert-will-make-late-show-debut-on-september-8.html#~p1eKciPw0yRxHE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what with Letterman’s final show approaching on 20th May, his final guests have been announced (no specific dates though.
    http://time.com/3820331/david-letterman-final-late-show-guests/

What surprises me is that there’s been no mention of any specials to commemorate the end of his run as a late night host, after a record breaking 33 years. I was really hoping for maybe a 2 hour primetime special of all his most memorable moments of the Late Show (and if they can get the rights, Late Night too). Has anyone heard anything? Are CBS really not going to do anything to mark the occasion (and capitalise on it)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has gone very quiet... but I just wanted to post to say how much I’m enjoying Dave’s final shows. His interviews with Michael J. Fox and Billy Crystal last week were great, and it’s nice to see them showing some classic clips (some of which appear to be from the NBC days, which is a good sign for maybe a ‘best of’ show before he leaves).
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    So what with Letterman’s final show approaching on 20th May, his final guests have been announced (no specific dates though.
    http://time.com/3820331/david-letterman-final-late-show-guests/

What surprises me is that there’s been no mention of any specials to commemorate the end of his run as a late night host, after a record breaking 33 years. I was really hoping for maybe a 2 hour primetime special of all his most memorable moments of the Late Show (and if they can get the rights, Late Night too). Has anyone heard anything? Are CBS really not going to do anything to mark the occasion (and capitalise on it)?

Looks like you got your wish:

http://deadline.com/2015/04/david-letterman-tribute-ray-romano-cbs-late-show-video-1201414922/

I imagine the final show will have high viewership, maybe not as high as Leno's final Tonight Show but 9-10m wouldn't surprise me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's billed as a "90-minute primetime special". but take out all the ad breaks it'll be closer to 1 hour.
    Only 1 hours worth of content really won't do Dave's 33 years as a late night TV host full justice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    DJGM wrote: »
    It's billed as a "90-minute primetime special". but take out all the ad breaks it'll be closer to 1 hour.
    Only 1 hours worth of content really won't do Dave's 33 years as a late night TV host full justice.

Great news, thanks for the heads up. ‘David Letterman: A Life On Television’ sounds like exactly what I was hoping for. :)

Although it doesn’t specifically say so, it sounds like it’ll include the ‘Late Night’ years as well as the ‘Late Show’ years which is good as I was worried that rights might be an issue.
    I agree that a 90 minute special, which will actually have a run time of about 65 minutes, isn’t long enough for 33 years on television (NBC gave Fallon a 2 hour special for the 5th anniversary of his ‘Late Night’!), but it’s better than nothing.

I’m still enjoying Letterman’s ‘farewell season’, some really big names dropping by one last time. It’s also interesting that Jay Leno has an open invite to be a guest on the show before Letterman retires. I have no idea if he’ll accept the invitation though. Part of me thinks his long rivalry with Letterman (and let’s be honest, Letterman’s always been the one to not hold back with the insults) will mean he won’t. But Leno also seems quite happy to stick it to NBC whenever given the opportunity, as apparent by his appearance on Craig Fergusons final CBS show, his appearance on James Corden’s first CBS show, and a rather bitter appearance on Jimmy Fallon’s NBC Tonight Show.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Great news, thanks for the heads up. ‘David Letterman: A Life On Television’ sounds like exactly what I was hoping for. :)

Although it doesn’t specifically say so, it sounds like it’ll include the ‘Late Night’ years as well as the ‘Late Show’ years which is good as I was worried that rights might be an issue.
    I agree that a 90 minute special, which will actually have a run time of about 65 minutes, isn’t long enough for 33 years on television (NBC gave Fallon a 2 hour special for the 5th anniversary of his ‘Late Night’!), but it’s better than nothing.

I’m still enjoying Letterman’s ‘farewell season’, some really big names dropping by one last time. It’s also interesting that Jay Leno has an open invite to be a guest on the show before Letterman retires. I have no idea if he’ll accept the invitation though. Part of me thinks his long rivalry with Letterman (and let’s be honest, Letterman’s always been the one to not hold back with the insults) will mean he won’t. But Leno also seems quite happy to stick it to NBC whenever given the opportunity, as apparent by his appearance on Craig Fergusons final CBS show, his appearance on James Corden’s first CBS show, and a rather bitter appearance on Jimmy Fallon’s NBC Tonight Show.

I honestly don't want to see Leno on Dave's show at this point. It would come off as too much the gimmick and not enough sincerity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand that, it would almost be trying to act like the rivalry and hatred never happened at the 11th hour.
    If it did happen it could be an interesting interview though. Jay Leno came across as extremely bitter when he returned to The Tonight Show to be interviewed by new host Jimmy Fallon. Although now I think he’ll ‘associate’ with Letterman better as he might see them both as the outgoing older generation of hosts. Not sure how Letterman would see it though... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been enjoying some of the final moments of the Late Show over recent weeks.

Michael J. Fox was superb, as was Jerry Seinfeld imitating Dave's famous intro run across the back of the stage and interviewing Dave.

Loving the little highlights packages they're putting together of people's best bits - Biff, Paul, etc.

Nice to see them uploading classic clips to YouTube too, including the fantastic Kaltershank Redemption recently.

On the subject of Leno (as it is his birthday today!) I'm not fussed either way and agree it could seem a bit forced if he appears on the show now "just because Dave is retiring" but I think it would be nice in any case.

Would love to see Oprah and Conan again.

Another of my favourites over the years has to be Frank Caliendo. He does a great impression of Dave and Paul, amongst many other people. Would be great to get him back on the show.

It would be interesting if he got Brian Williams back in before the end as well.

I can imagine Colbert making an appearance for sure.

Looking forward to the primetime special - glad to see CBS aren't letting the show go away unnoticed. It will be interesting to see if CBS managed to get any rights to air any of the old NBC footage or not.

On an unrelated note, I've finally sent a letter off to New York today - something I've been wanting to do for years but never got around to it. I included a letter talking about how we love the show in the UK and gave a little plug to my fansite. Requested an autograph or two so let's see if I'm lucky enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would love to see Oprah and Conan again.

It would be interesting if he got Brian Williams back in before the end as well.

I can imagine Colbert making an appearance for sure.

Good to hear from you again Paul... I was starting to get worried Letterman would retire before you returned to the thread!

Oprah might be a possibility, there’s still a few ‘gaps’ to fill in the guest line ups.
    I’d love to see Conan O’Brien on the show one last time too, but it’s extremely unlikely as he doesn’t have any weeks off from his show between now and Letterman’s retirement, and as you know his show tapes in LA.

Stephen Colbert is all but a certainty I’d imagine.

Brian Williams has an open invite apparently, so it’s his decision.

Personally I’m really looking forward to Howard Stern’s final appearance, it’s always a good interview and him and Dave go back decades.

Looking forward to the primetime special - glad to see CBS aren't letting the show go away unnoticed. It will be interesting to see if CBS managed to get any rights to air any of the old NBC footage or not.

I hope CBS have managed to secure the rights to the NBC ‘Late Night’ footage, some of Dave’s best bits were from the ‘Late Night’ years.
    There is some hope, when Conan was celebrating his 20th anniversary he managed to get the rights to his NBC ‘Late Night’ footage to air on his TBS show, and I’d say the relationship between Conan and NBC is much fresher and tense that the relationship between Letterman and NBC.
    Have they show any NBC footage in the recent shows? Some of it's clearly old, but it could be from the early CBS years (which is 20+ years old now!).

On an unrelated note, I've finally sent a letter off to New York today - something I've been wanting to do for years but never got around to it. I included a letter talking about how we love the show in the UK and gave a little plug to my fansite. Requested an autograph or two so let's see if I'm lucky enough.

Do you already have David Letterman’s autograph? I just assumed you already did being such a fan of the show and an unofficial UK ambassador.
    I have Letterman’s autograph and Conan’s autograph (both now framed, Conan’s along with my ticket for the show last year). I’ve 'high fived' Jimmy Fallon and spoken to Craig Ferguson, but no autographs unfortunately.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Leno is bitter because NBC forced him out twice rather than letting him bow out in his own time and his own terms, I think in hindsight NBC replacing him with Fallon has rejuvenated the Tonight Show and also it's bringing in younger viewers and also costs a lot less to produce, The Tonight Show under Leno while it was still successful was becoming too expensive and the audience was ageing,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think Leno is bitter because NBC forced him out twice rather than letting him bow out in his own time and his own terms, I think in hindsight NBC replacing him with Fallon has rejuvenated the Tonight Show and also it's bringing in younger viewers and also costs a lot less to produce, The Tonight Show under Leno while it was still successful was becoming too expensive and the audience was ageing,

I completely agree.
    What I didn’t like about Leno’s appearance on The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon was that it appeared impossible for him to acknowledge that Fallon was doing a great job as the new host, instead all he could do was mock his hosting style. When in fact The Tonight Show under Jimmy Fallon’s tenancy is more successful than it’s been in a very, very long time. Leno seems very bitter against NBC, which was just emphasised by his onscreen involvement in Craig Ferguson’s final CBS show and James Corden’s first CBS show, sort of like an ‘up yours’ to NBC. Which makes me think a Leno appearance on Letterman isn’t as unlikely now as it once was.

Personally I’m still angry at NBC that Conan O’Brien never got a fair shot at The Tonight Show... but I do really like The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon.