My £9.50 Holiday

SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
Forum Member
Another of the BBC's cost of living season programmes tonight, assume it's referring to the Sun's holiday promotion. Never been on one of these but they seem to be popular. From RT:
The growing phenomenon of newspaper-voucher holidays, revealing how British families from all walks of life are taking advantage of these breaks at rock-bottom prices. This one-off film follows four groups who have paid just under £10 to stay on caravan sites in Skegness and Great Yarmouth. In these cash-stapped times, will they think their bargain break is worth it?

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We also went to yarmouth a few years back the family are from Southend LOL.
    Think I like Southend more.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be my nightmare holiday in a chavavan!!!! :(
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to be in the caravan next to those girls..
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does £9.50 just pay for your accommodation and you pay for everything else?:confused:
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's chavvy about it? I, thankfully, haven't come across many of those type of girls whilst caravaning.

The two girls recently dumped don't seem to be enjoying it at all. Good job it's only £9.50.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This could have been a proper fly on the wall doc about a holiday park without having to focus on the £9.50/saving money element which has resulted in two half docs in one.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's chavvy about it? I, thankfully, haven't come across many of those type of girls whilst caravaning.

The two girls recently dumped don't seem to be enjoying it at all. Good job it's only £9.50.

Wasnt just the 2 girls. Its the whole of caravanning I wouldn't like.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We regularly went to those type of caravan parks as a child in the 70s. My dad then got a better job and we upgraded to Butlins. ;)

Back then you had to be really posh to go abroad.
  • AlabasterCodifyAlabasterCodify Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Done a couple of these, one in Torquay and one in Skegness - it was a cheap an cheerful laugh really.

Skegness was interesting (at this very park featured in the show). One night a lad in the caravan opposite went completely crazy screaming about topping himself, then running about headbutting trees and the calor gas bottles leaving blood all over the place.

I phoned the security number, told them a crazed lad was on the loose, they said "what, sorry a crazy rabbit is on the loose?" By the time they arrived, he'd done one into the caravan park prompting a police search lasting most of the night!
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit rubbish, nothing new or particularly interesting was learnt, it bearly scratched the surface, although I'm not sure what surface they were intending to scratch.

The only thing learnt was that chav types go on these holidays and like to have a few drinks while on holiday, which I think everyone knew anyway. Also the cheapest caravans are not 5 star and the evening entertainment isn't in line with a west end show.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went on holiday to Somerset near Weston super mare and one day whist trying to find a nice beach we drove passed one of these sorts of holiday parks and the clientele walking out of those places makes me not want to go. Special brew at 1030am whilst pushing a pram? No thank you. The sun can keep their £9.50 holidays
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went on holiday to Somerset near Weston super mare and one day whist trying to find a nice beach we drove passed one of these sorts of holiday parks and the clientele walking out of those places makes me not want to go. Special brew at 1030am whilst pushing a pram? No thank you. The sun can keep their £9.50 holidays

I think that before you moan about a place or people in particular you should check out your grammar first :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    Does £9.50 just pay for your accommodation and you pay for everything else?:confused:

As far as I am aware its that £9.50 per person, Then on top of that you'll have a fee for booking, a fee for bedding, a fee for this and a fee for that. Possibly on top of that you'll need to buy a day pass to any activities where you are staying
    It really is just another way to trick poor people into thinking they have got a good deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I think that before you moan about a place or people in particular you should check out your grammar first :D

We went on holiday to Somerset near Weston-Super-Mare and one day whist trying to find a nice beach we drove passed one of these sorts of holiday parks. The clientele walking out of those places makes me not want to go. Special Brew at 10:30 am whilst pushing a pram? No thank you. The Sun can keep their £9.50 holidays

Is that better grammar? Or should I hand myself into the nearest grammar police station? :rolleyes:
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have often wondered how these £9.50 deal holidays work - wish I had known this was on as I would have watched it - Im interested to see what you actually get for £9.50.......

I am assuming that the price is per person - its cant be per caravan, can it.....

Has anyone been on one of this "bargain holidays" and is it really the bargain that it implies it is?

Genuinely interested btw :D
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on the IPlayer.:)
    The £9.50 figure intrigues me too as obviously it's a 'sprat to catch a mackeral' and the profit comes from food and the extras etc etc. But if it means that some people especially those with kids can actually get away it's better than nothing.........

I was surprised by the professional couple (the vets) using such an offer I always thought they were well paid,the bills are always steep!:o:(
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Silly_tree wrote: »
    As far as I am aware its that £9.50 per person, Then on top of that you'll have a fee for booking, a fee for bedding, a fee for this and a fee for that. Possibly on top of that you'll need to buy a day pass to any activities where you are staying
    It really is just another way to trick poor people into thinking they have got a good deal.

If you are savvy like my sister it can just cost £38, that is the minimum amount. She selects the ones where the electricity/gas is included or a card for £1 which there is normally an amount in the meter so she gets that refunded.

You can take your own bedding. And some of the entertainment passes are included.

She uses it for just sleeping as she is out all day and has never come across any of the people, that I only caught at the end of the show. (I'm trying to watch on Iplayer but it won't load!)

It's not only Caravan but log chalet and flat type buildings. She has been doing these for 20 years or as long as they have been doing them.

If you study where and what you stay in you can get a good bargain. I have done a few and they were quite good. I have 2 dogs so I was limited to what I could have. But on the others holidays I never mentioned them :o
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went on holiday to Somerset near Weston-Super-Mare and one day whist trying to find a nice beach we drove passed one of these sorts of holiday parks. The clientele walking out of those places makes me not want to go. Special Brew at 10:30 am whilst pushing a pram? No thank you. The Sun can keep their £9.50 holidays

Is that better grammar? Or should I hand myself into the nearest grammar police station? :rolleyes:

That is a lot better, we now need to work on the sardonicism ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I find a lot of your comments quite insulting personally, and most of you have the cheek to talk about what Katie Hopkins has to say about being snobby and judgemental. I have been on a few of these caravan holidays with the kids, I am no way a chav. It's easy just to get in the car and go to a caravan site when you have young kids. Doesn't matter were u go you are going to get loud lager louts.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Wasnt just the 2 girls. Its the whole of caravanning I wouldn't like.

So going in a caravan makes you a chav?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

Almost there, try again.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Fiona72 wrote: »
    I find a lot of your comments quite insulting personally, and most of you have the cheek to talk about what Katie Hopkins has to say about being snobby and judgemental. I have been on a few of these caravan holidays with the kids, I am no way a chav. It's easy just to get in the car and go to a caravan site when you have young kids. Doesn't matter were u go you are going to get loud lager louts.
    Got to say I agree.

we went on a few of these when our children were little in a group of families all of whom were respectable, professional type people (like the vet) but with young children and tight budgets options can be limited. yes, there were some louts and the entertainment left a bit to be desired but the club in child friendly ( early on) and the children loved the kids clubs etc

BTW the girls may have been a bit loud but at least they had jobs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona72 wrote: »

There are plenty of cheap independent campsites that are quiet and much better for families. The campsite I stayed at in Somerset cost £350 for the week. Caravan, bedding, toilets awning all included. The family that ran it were friendly and it was in a lovely little village. That £350 works out at £50 a day. Not that much more expensive than a sun holiday where you have to pay for extras.
  • normyjetnormyjet Posts: 35
    Forum Member

Well, not really. It's either "we drove past" or"we passed" but nice try.:rolleyes:
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Got to say I agree.

we went on a few of these when our children were little in a group of families all of whom were respectable, professional type people (like the vet) but with young children and tight budgets options can be limited. yes, there were some louts and the entertainment left a bit to be desired but the club in child friendly ( early on) and the children loved the kids clubs etc

BTW the girls may have been a bit loud but at least they had jobs

can I ask, hope you dont mind, what does the £9.50 cover? I have always been curious about these holidays that The Sun offer