Options

8 month old has dairy allergy, anyone have experience with this?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi OP - I am completely wheat and dairy free and it does get easier once you get in the swing of things. :) If your LO isn't already on dairy free formula then ask to be prescibed some, you can then use that to make up all of his cereals, and in the baby range their is a dairy free porridge available. I use soya milk when I need to, but I actually use it very rarely now, and have adapted things to be made without milk, although to start with it was trial and error, and we had some horrible disasters along the way. :D In moderation I also have plain soya yogurt on some cereals and I can't taste the difference now, and there is dairy free "cheese" spreads available although I have never actually dared try any yet.... There is dairy free spread available to substitute butter in cooking, and I can't taste the difference now, and as another poster said all baby jars are labelled to say if they contain dairy which should help.
    I find the best supermarket is sainsburys for freefrom products as they have just introduced a new range, so would be worth a look.

As for the birthday cake, I reguarly make cakes and they are all free from wheat and dairy and these are the ingredients I use....

200g wheat free SR flour (Obviously you can use any flour)
    200g Sainsburys freefrom spread
    200g Caster sugar
    4 Eggs

Icing Sugar
    Dairy free doves farm chocolate chips to decorate (Dairy free)

Any questions feel free to PM me. xx
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Its much better, they will have nicer skin when they are older and eat less junk.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My niece was diagnosed with a Dairy Allergy when she was about six months old, similar symptoms - rash, itching etc. She grew out of it though, she is now nearly two and is fine with everything. They just had to keep trying to introduce some dairy every few weeks, to check it the reactions was still as strong or if it had gone. All done under the doctors supervision of course.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm intolerant of, though not allergic to, cows milk.

Is he ok with goat's milk? It's totally different to cows'. Its molecular structure is much more akin to human milk & doesn't produce the copious mucous of cows' milk.

I have to say I find soya milk yuck & I've been told many times it can interfere with digestion.

I eat rice milk, oat milk, goat's cheese & yoghurt. You can even get chocolate now made with goat's milk - tho I've not tried it. Beeeh.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd update this thread as we have had an appointment with a paediatrician now and have our appointment with the dietrician in a few weeks time. The posts in this thread and links to other websites have been really helpful in the interim (so thanks).

It's not very good that we had to wait so long, but thats the NHS I suppose. We had a brief appointment with a private dietrician who gave us some information on ingredients to look out for (the less obvious stuff) which was helpful. But due to cost we couldn't really keep it up on an ongoing basis.

The results came back that he has a full dairy allergy, which will rule out all forms of dairy. So he cannot have goats milk. Not much fun but hopefully he will grow out of it; the docs said he could.

The dietrician appointment is in 3 weeks, so we'll get a load of new information then. But we were given a "fact sheet" of sorts and he has the medication we need on prescription if he has another anaphylaxis reaction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I make cakes using Coconut milk

I got a Jane Asher coconut cake mix, dairy free and make it with coconut milk

Mmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there,

I don't have any experience of a dairy allergy, but I did check the Netmum's website to see if anyone there could help you and found this site for you to have a look at, its a load of recipes for Dairy, gluten and egg free diets.

http://www.piginthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps you :)