Whitney, Mariah or Celine?

13»

Comments

• scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    How about Anita Baker?
    How about her indeed? She's light years ahead of these three pop stars. Whitney and Mariah could sing but it soon became obvious that they were going to pursue the pop charts rather than develop their careers in soul music. There was no danger that they would release anything to rival 'The Songstress' or 'Rapture'.

Mialicious is on point as usual. I also see no reason to present as an achievement having a guest rapper on your record. You haven't originated something if you are repeating what has already been happening.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    MJB & Puffy genuinely did start that movement of an R&B diva singing over HipHop.
    I know MJB dosnt sell as many records as mariah but that hardly means she wasnt popular or her songs were not in the charts. She is the one who really ushered in that style and made singles and albums like that consistently straight out of the gate and spawned a million other copycats. Im not going to give mariah credit for being more 'popular' than mary.

Great argument, I cant agree more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Always Whitney. At her peak no one could match her.

Mariah was cool in the 90s but since the 00s has been nothing but an embarrassment really. She tries too hard to convince people her voice is still epic. Singers lose their power as they get older. Its just a fact of life. Mariah just needs to accept her best vocals are behind her and focus on her range as it is now.

Summed up everything I wanted to say perfectly. :)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    MJB & Puffy genuinely did start that movement of an R&B diva singing over HipHop.
    I know MJB dosnt sell as many records as mariah but that hardly means she wasnt popular or her songs were not in the charts. She is the one who really ushered in that style and made singles and albums like that consistently straight out of the gate and spawned a million other copycats. Im not going to give mariah credit for being more 'popular' than mary.

Absolutely. MJB might not have had as many chart hits as others but, back in 92/93 when she arrived on the scene, her music was everywhere. Anyone who went to a club or a bar at that time would have heard her songs played over and over again. Real Love was the anthem of the year and guaranteed to be played by every dance/r&b/soul dj the length and breadth of the country.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    Arguably the best three voices in pop music, and often dubbed the "vocal trinity". Who is your favourite? All three have exceptional talent, and I revere all three for what they have achieved. According to their record labels, all three have sold 200 million records, which makes them the best selling female recording artists of all time (after Madonna).

Whitney "The Voice" Houston - one of the best voices of ALL time. She is a legend and her music will go down in history.
    Total certified sales: 110.9 million.
    Most popular songs: I Will Always Love You, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Saving All My Love For You, I'm Every Woman

Mariah Carey was probably the least successful over here in the UK, but had 18 number ones in the United States. She is second only to the Beatles for number ones in the States. She has a five octave range and whistle register, the latter of which she became renowned for. In addition, Mariah Carey is the only one out of the three who co-wrote and produced every one of her songs (with the exception of covers).
    Total certified sales: 129.1 million
    Most popular songs: Without You, Hero, We Belong Together, When You Believe (with Whitney), All I Want For Christmas Is You

Celine Dion was there to fill in the void for a powerhouse singer singing conservative ballads, as Mariah and Whitney started to go into the R&B market. She is regarded as one of pop music's most influential voices. She was probably the biggest of the three in Europe
    Total certified sales: 121.7 million.
    Most popular songs: My Heart Will Go On, Think Twice, It's All Coming Back to Me Now, Power of Love, Because You Loved Me

interesting, going back to the opening question and thesis:

the female vocal trinity .... I agree that they were a vocal powerhouse of mainstream proportions at the time of Madonna and alongside Madonna. And all 3 rightly deserve their accolades as they are all artists in their own right and with their own legacy.

But the question is - who is your favourite?

Not who you think is the best singer on record, live or best singer songwriter........

I need time to consider and reflect as I like and admire all 3 for very different reasons...
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting, going back to the opening question and thesis:

the female vocal trinity .... I agree that they were a vocal powerhouse of mainstream proportions at the time of Madonna and alongside Madonna. And all 3 rightly deserve their accolades as they are all artists in their own right and with their own legacy.

But the question is - who is your favourite?

Not who you think is the best singer on record, live or best singer songwriter........

I need time to consider and reflect as I like and admire all 3 for very different reasons...

I thought that when some people were replying lol, the thread is about these three and who are people's favourites - not who think is the best vocalist NOT out of those three...
    :p:D
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My all wrote: »
    it would have to be organic & not a ".Me a against the music" or " beutiful liar" kinda throwaway thing

Those are both iconic, mainly because of the great parodies.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Whitney vocally, but Mariah artistically. I need to listen to Celine's music tbh.