Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Descendants - A laid back George Clooney and a breakthrough performance from Shailene Woodley elevate this ordinary drama.

6/10

Gone Girl - Another fine addition to David Fincher's filmography (seriously has he ever made a bad movie?). The twists and turns become more ludicrous as the film goes on but that's OK because Fincher's assred directing and the acting keep the film grounded.

8/10
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Fincher's filmography (seriously has he ever made a bad movie?)

Alien 3.
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halima's Path (Halimin put) (2012) 8.5/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Alien 3.

I have a soft spot for Alien 3 and dare I say it, prefer it to Cameron's Aliens.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Alien 3 is in no way a bad movie. Panic Room, however, is.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Twins [1988]. Director: Ivan Reitman

5/10

Flimsy comedy.

Having You [2013]. Director: Sam Hoare

5/10

Flimsy domestic drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Million Ways to Die in the West - Hit and miss comedy from Seth MacFarlane.

5/10
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week only seen

Monster Makers 2003 4 out of 10 was OK I guess
    And Syfy film
    Poseidon Rex (2013) 3 out of 10.
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost Horizon 1937 ..7/10 its easy to see why this film was nominated for several Oscars .. a classic film....mind I do prefer the 1973 remake (apart from the rubbish soundtrack)...I love the theme of finding a peaceful shangri-la..how the world needs that now !
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for Alien 3 and dare I say it, prefer it to Cameron's Aliens.

Although IMO not as strong as the first 2 films I feel the third one has become a cult classic and remember the film had all sorts of production filming problems at the time ... the 4th one was disappointing !! hopefully the 5th outing (when it eventually comes) will continue this great series !
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    The Dead Zone - 8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Kill A Man (Matar a un hombre) (2014) 8.5/10
    Lucy (2014) 5/10
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Descendants - 7/10
    The Greatest - 8/10
    A Fistful Of Dollars - 9/10
    Seeking A Friend To The End Of The World - 8/10
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday watched Joanna Hogg's three feature films back to back - Unrelated, Archipelago and Exhibition.

Absolutely nothing happens in any of them :)
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Jane Eyre (1943) - 7/10
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Skyfall

I'm very behind seeing as it was released almost two years ago. I caught it on Netflix the other day. It's definitely the best of the Daniel Craig Bond films. I really enjoyed it.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Went to see 'Pride' the other day, absolutely great movie 9/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    Although IMO not as strong as the first 2 films I feel the third one has become a cult classic and remember the film had all sorts of production filming problems at the time ... the 4th one was disappointing !! hopefully the 5th outing (when it eventually comes) will continue this great series !

I liked the nihilistic tone of Alien 3 and the fact that it brought a closure to Ripley's story but yeah, a problematic film overall. 4th one should never have been made though if you switch your brain off, it's somewhat entertaining.

The Princess Bride - I may have had a humour bypass or something but I did not enjoy this supposed classic at all. I found it rather annoying in fact (and I'm into fairytales and all that stuff).

3/10
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An afternoon at the London Film Festival:

Ellie Lumme [2013]. Director: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky

7/10

A 40 minute "ghost story without a ghost" from critic and Roger Ebert protégé Vishnevetsky. Some sharp dialogue too.

Princess of France [2014]. Director: Matías Piñeiro

2/10

A riff on Shakespeare'e Love's Labours Lost, apparently. Full of poorly defined characters spouting endless drivel in Spanish.

Thou Wast Mild & Lovely [2014]. Director:Josephine Decker

6/10

Some southern gothic, atmospheric and building up to an inevitable violent climax. The director's habit of shooting out-of-focus and having characters walk into focus quickly becomes annoying.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Gone Girl - Another fine addition to David Fincher's filmography (seriously has he ever made a bad movie?).

Have you seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - what a piece of pretentious garbage that is!

As for - yep, recently it was Gone Girl - and at the Odeon Leicester Square no less. Very good film - and probably the best film that I have seen from this year. Good to see Fincher back on form - as The Girl With Dragon Tattoo was okay - but it wasn't Fincher pushing any boundaries - unlike in this film. He continues to be a top flight director. Great performance by Rosamund Pike. The ending might divide some people.

7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bait (L'appat) (1995) 8/10
    The Enemy Within (O ehthros mou) (2013) 7/10
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabotage! ... Quite enjoyed it! 👍 8/10 😄
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    Lost Horizon 1937 ..7/10 its easy to see why this film was nominated for several Oscars .. a classic film....mind I do prefer the 1973 remake (apart from the rubbish soundtrack)...I love the theme of finding a peaceful shangri-la..how the world needs that now !

wot the musical version one with liv ullman usually regarded as a dire mistake ?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there will be blood. 5/10.

i cannot see what alll the fuss was about. its just "abe lincoln oil hunter" with d d lewis warming up for "lincoln", and a rather poor incoherent adaptation of upton sinclairs anti capitalism novel.

the soundtrack music is especially dire and rather distracting .......
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twin peaks: Fire walk with me
    8/10
    Stunning and much better than the majority of the television series. Would of gave it a 10 but the absence of Audrey Horne and not really seeing the town of Twin peaks from the outside were small annoyances.
This discussion has been closed.