Options

EE: Dean- mixed messages

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
tonight we saw A scene with Dean in which he was topless. It wasn't necessary & although I don't per she object to seeing Matt DA partially clothed (:D:D) I am wondering why we are being presented with some ver y mixed messages re Dean.

The scene tonight was presented in that way for audience titillation, but this is a character who we all know is a rapist.

I find it .bizaare, that having witnessed Linda's agony for the last 2 weeks, we're now encouraged to look at her attacker as a sex symbol.

I can buy Dean as a rapist. I can even buy that Dean is in denial/doesn't realise what he's done. I can buy that TPTB wanted an atypical rapist for their plot on EE & therefore choosing a young, attractive man is a new method of portraying this kind of storyline.

But what I find strange is that AFTER the character is portrayed as the perpetrator of a devastating rape, just 2 weeks later were supposed to view him as a sex object??

Is a "sexy rapist" possible or even permissable in a TV programme??

Can or should a sex offender be portrayed as an object of sexual desire at the same time as a sexual abuse storyline is running? To me this all seems rather odd.

eE seem to want it both ways with Dean & I'm really not sure how appropriate this is?

Comments

• Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I get what you're saying but there's no escaping that he's a rapist. Not even a full frontal nudity scene would be enough to change that.

We can say that Matt Di'Angelo looked good, but not Dean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess would probably be that the point they are putting across is that anyone can be a rapist, no matter how desirable they are to hundreds of women they still have a hidden power complex
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I do see what you're saying but I think it is deliberate. They are trying to point out that just because a man is handsome and sexually attractive and many women would desire him doesn't mean that a woman is lying if they say they have been raped by him.

The fact is that many rapists in real life are attractive men that women other than the victim willingly, even enthuastically have sex with. In fact the victim may even recognise theu are attractive but that doesn't mean they didn't say no.

A lot of people think or assume that rape is black and white with an evil man who is totally out of control. It often isn't - it is a murky, grey area where it is hard to get to the truth of what happened, what the people involved thought was happening etc. EE are trying to reflect that and I applaud them for it.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I do see what you're saying but I think it is deliberate. They are trying to point out that just because a man is handsome and sexually attractive and many women would desire him doesn't mean that a woman is lying if they say they have been raped by him.

The fact is that many rapists in real life are attractive men that women other than the victim willingly, even enthuastically have sex with. In fact the victim may even recognise theu are attractive but that doesn't mean they didn't say no.

A lot of people think or assume that rape is black and white with an evil man who is totally out of control. It often isn't - it is a murky, grey area where it is hard to get to the truth of what happened, what the people involved thought was happening etc. EE are trying to reflect that and I applaud them for it.

You are right of course but surely this is being portrayed by the mere fact of having Dean as the rapist. The topless scene was as the OP implied gratuitous and very odd for it.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally see the OPs point. I hope EE do not put Matt forward for those most sexy awards that they do. I think it will be in ill taste and send out the wrong message. It does feel like they want Dean to be the main hunk of the show despite the fact he has raped an innocent woman. Various writers and producers on the show, even DTC himself although that was a while ago, keep tweeting about topless Dean etc, I find it all so odd. No wonder people have mixed signals.. it does feel as though we are supposed to view him as a sex god.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lilanaomi wrote: »
    My guess would probably be that the point they are putting across is that anyone can be a rapist, no matter how desirable they are to hundreds of women they still have a hidden power complex

That's how I see it. Look at the Ched Evans case.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally see the OPs point. I hope EE do not put Matt forward for those most sexy awards that they do. I think it will be in ill taste and send out the wrong message. It does feel like they want Dean to be the main hunk of the show despite the fact he has raped an innocent woman. Various writers and producers on the show, even DTC himself although that was a while ago, keep tweeting about topless Dean etc, I find it all so odd. No wonder people have mixed signals.. it does feel as though we are supposed to view him as a sex god.

I've noticed that about DTC. He seems totally smitten. :D
  • Options
    Mokey76Mokey76 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I thought the topless scene was for Stacey to be further attracted to Deano? In the same way that Shabnam saw a bit of Kush's six pack?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mokey76 wrote: »
    I thought the topless scene was for Stacey to be further attracted to Deano? In the same way that Shabnam saw a bit of Kush's six pack?

Oh don't for 1 second think that scene was played that way for Stacey's benefit :D:D:o

There was absolutely no need for Dean to be topless in that scene.

I agree with the poster that said DTC seems smitten. Pity Dean is leaving soon then.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mokey76 wrote: »

No, Stacey doesn't need a topless man in front of her for her legs to get a bit quivery - she was with Max Branning after all!

But I also think this is kind of the point. A massive proportion of rapes are committed by men who either don't view what they've done as rape, don't understand the meaning of consent and are often viewed as attractive by the victim. But just because a woman finds a man attractive, they may even flirt with them, doesn't mean they're inviting that man to have sex with them against their will.

Like Linda, past the initial dialogue, many victims simply "lie there and take it". Apologies if that sounds crude but that can leave men in Dean's position where they're not even aware of the seriousness of what they've done. Particularly in this modern "lad" culture and Americanized nature of our universities, many young men simply believe the girl is playing hard to get and that they wanted it.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem insensitive they are pitching Dean as the ''sex hunk'' given he is a violent rapist. A lot of the scenes have no baring on who he is as a character and are obviously just being added in for the 'fit' factor. Needs to be sorted out. You already have silly teen girls on Twitter defending him and blaming Linda. Its no wonder because of how Dean is being portrayed, all they are seeing is a sexy guy with a hot body.

Like someone said above. If they nominate him for sexiest male then it shows this is the genuine intention of what they want Dean viewed as.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whilst I think I understand what they're doing, I do agree that it would be in very poor taste if he were nominated for sexiest male at next year's soap awards.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised that there are people on Social Media defending him and blaming Linda (it happens with real life celebrity rape cases as well) but it is very sad and worrying.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think DTC knows not to put Matt up for Sexiest Male because of who he plays - we've seen this from him not putting Matt in the running for the award at the Inside Soap awards.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its more interesting to play against the norm and contradict the usual 'creepy older rapist' archetype (a la Archie Mitchell / Harry Slater)
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I think its more interesting to play against the norm and contradict the usual 'creepy older rapist' archetype (a la Archie Mitchell / Harry Slater)

No one is objecting to this. What people are rightly concerned about is the fact EE keep pushing Dean forward as a sex god hunk type in order to please people who love a bit of man top off action.

Its is appropriate given the storyline he has? I don't think so personally.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one is objecting to this. What people are rightly concerned about is the fact EE keep pushing Dean forward as a sex god hunk type in order to please people who love a bit of man top off action.

Its is appropriate given the storyline he has? I don't think so personally.

I don't think they have. They've simply shown that women still find him attractive despite us as the audience knowing what he has done. It's drumming home the fact that a rapist can be anyone and simply because they've committed that crime, doesn't mean that they suddenly become repulsive particularly when the crime hasn't been reported yet.

However if he was nominated for Sexiest Male then I'd agree that would be done in poor taste but as he hasn't, that's an unnecessary discussion.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Whilst I think I understand what they're doing, I do agree that it would be in very poor taste if he were nominated for sexiest male at next year's soap awards.

Whilst I share your sentiments about it being in poor taste given what the character has done and can't imagine Easties going down that route at all, feel (in the cause of fairness) that I have to play devil's advocate here and point out that as far as I know (and apologies if I've got this wrong) awards like the sexiest male/female are actually given to the actors rather than the characters they play. And I know it's a matter of individual taste but I would say that Matt di Angelo is a sexy male!!
    Having said all that and although I didn't think much about the topless scene when I saw it (I was, however, very uncomfortable when Stacey kissed him at the end) I can see how it might be seen as or even be intended to be a case of providing some 'eye candy' without much thought about how that might come across given the circumstances. Perhaps if they'd been some more context = Dean was getting out the ironing board or we'd just seen him remove his T-shirt after doing some exercise that might have been a little bit better?
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    I don't think they have. They've simply shown that women still find him attractive despite us as the audience knowing what he has done. It's drumming home the fact that a rapist can be anyone and simply because they've committed that crime, doesn't mean that they suddenly become repulsive particularly when the crime hasn't been reported yet.

However if he was nominated for Sexiest Male then I'd agree that would be done in poor taste but as he hasn't, that's an unnecessary discussion.

Do women only find him attractive with his top off? It was odd and seemed gratuitously unnecessary. I do agree with and appreciate EE having Dean, an attractive and physically fit young man as the rapist, but having him suddenly have a scene with his top off seemed like they'd forgotten he was the rapist and were just going for titillation like the OP suggested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Whilst I share your sentiments about it being in poor taste given what the character has done and can't imagine Easties going down that route at all, feel (in the cause of fairness) that I have to play devil's advocate here and point out that as far as I know (and apologies if I've got this wrong) awards like the sexiest male/female are actually given to the actors rather than the characters they play. And I know it's a matter of individual taste but I would say that Matt di Angelo is a sexy male!!
    Having said all that and although I didn't think much about the topless scene when I saw it (I was, however, very uncomfortable when Stacey kissed him at the end) I can see how it might be seen as or even be intended to be a case of providing some 'eye candy' without much thought about how that might come across given the circumstances. Perhaps if they'd been some more context = Dean was getting out the ironing board or we'd just seen him remove his T-shirt after doing some exercise that might have been a little bit better?

Yes it is for the actor and I agree he is sexy (in fact I nearly said in my first post that imo he is the sexiest man in EE along with Ben Hardy and possibly Soap full stop) but I think there is too much merging of characters and actors in some viewers minds for them to risk putting him forward for such an award.

I only had half an eye on the screen but i'd assumed he was not long out of the shower and also some people do wander round their own homes partially clothed (though not generally in late October). It's not as though he just stripped off for no reason in the middle of the salon is it.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the writers want us to hate Dean like they wanted us to hate Jame Wilmot-Brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no.problem with Stacey finding Dean attractive, or Dean moving on & finding a consenting girlfriend.
    But with him being placed in scenes semi- naked (un-necessarily) with the aim being audience titilation it isn't merely a case of an attractive actor playing a character who has committed a rape, then carries on with life as normal.
    The audience is being invited to find a rapist a sex symbol. This is giving out mixed messages to me.
  • Options
    StandByMe89StandByMe89 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He still comes across as a manipulative creep in his scenes with Stacey anyway, shirtless or not. And a man being topless won't just make you forget about his past actions, unless of course it's some 50 Shades of Grey 'He hypnotized me with his pecs' voodoo going on! Maybe him being shirtless is a bit manipulative too? I forgot what scene he was shirtless in.
    It's not just the unattractive men who manipulate and/or rape women! A man being good looking and attractive doesn't excuse his actions. Consent is consent... hot hollywood actor in a private hotel room or an unattractive predator in an alley way. Either is rape if it's against your wishes.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »

I agree, EE are taking this storyline from a totally different angle.

People who commit rape don't always do it intentionally and at times aren't even aware of what they have done.

EE are trying to educate people that you should actually ensure that the person you're having sex with has consented, that they have said yes and if the word no is uttered then its time to stop.

Dean isn't even aware that Linda didn't want sex with him, he believed the sex was consensual.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I agree, EE are taking this storyline from a totally different angle.

People who commit rape don't always do it intentionally and at times aren't even aware of what they have done.

EE are trying to educate people that you should actually ensure that the person you're having sex with has consented, that they have said yes and if the word no is uttered then its time to stop.

Dean isn't even aware that Linda didn't want sex with him, he believed the sex was consensual.

It's clear that Dean isn't aware he raped Linda, and interviews with the actors involved have confirmed this. I'm wondering if Dean's lack of awareness will be tied to his probable rape in prison? In Dean's mind (and probably in the minds of much of the audience), rapists are scary people who jump unsuspected victims and subject them to extreme violence. Dean came back from prison with scars from cigarette burns and other obvious injuries. He isn't aware that what he did to Linda was rape because he didn't injure her physically that we could see. His obsession with her has blinded him to the fact at how uncomfortable he'd been making her in the preceding weeks. Dean figures that since he was injured and clearly frightened by his perpetrator (s), he could not have raped Linda as the same didn't happen to her.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem insensitive they are pitching Dean as the ''sex hunk'' given he is a violent rapist. A lot of the scenes have no baring on who he is as a character and are obviously just being added in for the 'fit' factor. Needs to be sorted out. You already have silly teen girls on Twitter defending him and blaming Linda. Its no wonder because of how Dean is being portrayed, all they are seeing is a sexy guy with a hot body.

Like someone said above. If they nominate him for sexiest male then it shows this is the genuine intention of what they want Dean viewed as.

bib thats disgusting:(