Any Way To Get Sky 3D On Virgin

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
Was wondering if you added the Sky movies and Sports channels and added the extra HD premium payment does that give you access to the Football in 3D or indeed the Sky 3D channels ?
Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject please.

Comments

• womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pretty sure the answer to that is no
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    There has been some Discovery and ESPN 3D content available (The X Games, whatever that is) but no sign of Sky 3D.

I wouldn't hold your breath for it anytime soon but I guess you never know.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,322
    Forum Member
    Could not give a toss about Sky 3D.

3D is fading.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »

3D is fading.

You are so wrong, it's getting bigger. Just because a minority can't take to it because of having to wear the glasses etc, dosen't mean it's anywhere near vanishing.

More research is going into making 3D tv's without glasses ( with some already out to purchase ), more people are purchasing 3D tv's, and more and more people are making box office numbers bigger at the cinema when a film is released in 3D.

Get used to it bud, 3D is here to stay and it's only get bigger and more main stream.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,322
    Forum Member
    You are so wrong, it's getting bigger. Just because a minority can't take to it because of having to wear the glasses etc, dosen't mean it's anywhere near vanishing.

More research is going into making 3D tv's without glasses ( with some already out to purchase ), more people are purchasing 3D tv's, and more and more people are making box office numbers bigger at the cinema when a film is released in 3D.

Get used to it bud, 3D is here to stay and it's only get bigger and more main stream.
    Really ?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1593120

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15967276
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3D has been a fad that has been used several times over the years and its never worked and it won't catch on while people need glasses to see it , not helped by the £100 a pair cost either.

It will always be a novelty item for the occasional special event - it will never be in mainstream regular use.
    Unlikely that it will become a standard feature on tv's.

The question is - how long will Sky and other broadcasters be prepared to carry on funding channels that carry this niche content ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    3D has been a fad that has been used several times over the years and its never worked and it won't catch on while people need glasses to see it , not helped by the £100 a pair cost either.

It will always be a novelty item for the occasional special event - it will never be in mainstream regular use.
    Unlikely that it will become a standard feature on tv's.

The question is - how long will Sky and other broadcasters be prepared to carry on funding channels that carry this niche content ?

You speak for yourself and the minority. Facts are that 3D is getting bigger with more and more studios and directors jumping on the 3D bandwagon.

I was only watching a program on the news this week stating that international box off figures are doubling at cinemas when a film is released in 3D, and that sales of 3D tvs have hit an all time high as of the summer of 2011.

Once they have perfected the technology that allows us to watch 3D tvs without glasses then I expect it to become 1 day the standard in tv viewing.

Like I said, just because the minority of you don't like the whole wearing of glasses, dosen't mean you can speak for the majority. The old red and blue 3D cyan glasses had its time fair enough due to it being over 3 quaters of a century old, but this new 3D is a work in progress and can only get bigger.

I think George Lucas would agree seeing as he about to release 1 star wars movie a year, for the next 6 years in 3D.. If George Lucas has faith in 3D then I sure as hell would back his opinion over the minority who hate it on digital spy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Maybe George is just a little low on cash...
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like 3D in the cinema and not bothered about it on tv either
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You speak for yourself and the minority. Facts are that 3D is getting bigger with more and more studios and directors jumping on the 3D bandwagon.

I was only watching a program on the news this week stating that international box off figures are doubling at cinemas when a film is released in 3D, and that sales of 3D tvs have hit an all time high as of the summer of 2011.

Once they have perfected the technology that allows us to watch 3D tvs without glasses then I expect it to become 1 day the standard in tv viewing.

Like I said, just because the minority of you don't like the whole wearing of glasses, dosen't mean you can speak for the majority. The old red and blue 3D cyan glasses had its time fair enough due to it being over 3 quaters of a century old, but this new 3D is a work in progress and can only get bigger.

I think George Lucas would agree seeing as he about to release 1 star wars movie a year, for the next 6 years in 3D.. If George Lucas has faith in 3D then I sure as hell would back his opinion over the minority who hate it on digital spy.
    Not just George but Scorcese and Cameron are getting into 3D too. Current 3D is around to stay and not a fading fad at all.

Even videogames are embracing 3D in a big way too.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was wondering if you added the Sky movies and Sports channels and added the extra HD premium payment does that give you access to the Football in 3D or indeed the Sky 3D channels ?
    Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject please.

Not likely for the foreseeable future , Sky 3D will remain as a Sky platform exclusive in my opinion.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switched from Sky to Virgin this year and miss the 3d option for sports more than anything else.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be use if the inter ocular distance 3D is a lot easier to make fir theatric projection... And it works well there ..and with the Christie 6 P and similar projectors there are in polarisers to loose 3/4 of the light.
    By re decision fir a TV inter ocular costs money... And native TV production is very difficult with the optical axes of the cameras 65 mm apart.
    After all given average visual acuity you cannot see stereoscopic ally after about 15m ...
    And well before that stereopsis is not the major cue ... In fact it never is...
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    There isn't any live football in 3D anymore - and hardly any other sport either
    I switched from Sky to Virgin this year and miss the 3d option for sports more than anything else.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are slowly wrapping up their 3d channel it will be closing very soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said its a fad & thats the majority view not the minority. Once you dont need the glasses it may be a different story
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly I thought I had read somewhere recently BBC were restarting some 3D programmes after abandoning it
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Sky 3D do not do sport anymore
  • MikeOf LBuzzardMikeOf LBuzzard Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »

3D is fading.

Could not give a toss if you don't like it . Big Deal. Some of us do!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I have to say that I watched Pompeii in 3D last night and it was excellent. I don't think that the glasses are such a big deal to be honest.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of Virgins XL pack of 3D is now gone........no demand apparantly.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member

Oh Dear :)