Using my blackberry in USA

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
Forum Member
I'm off to NYC at the end of September and I don't know whether to take an old payg mobile and use that or use my blackberry. The PAYG one should work (it's a sharp 902.. I believe it's triband) but can I turn of emails and applications on my BB so that I can just receive/make calls and texts?

Comments

• darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you'll be wanting Options > Mobile Network and switch data services to either "off" or "off when roaming"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    darkone338 wrote: »
    you'll be wanting Options > Mobile Network and switch data services to either "off" or "off when roaming"

Thank you!
    Forum Member
    Would I be able to hook up to available wifi while out there or would this cost me?
  • darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you can get wifi connectivity, then I believe you just turn the data services back on. (If i remember correctly, I had mine set to 'off when roaming'. when i walked into the hotels wifi zone, the phone would set off grabbing my mail for me and stop when i walked out of the hotel).
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I be able to hook up to available wifi while out there or would this cost me?

WiFi would be free since the data is going through the wireless network rather than the mobile one.

Oh the joys of having a work Blackberry and never seeing the bill. I travel a lot with work but haven't a clue how much my BB costs. Maybe I should ask my boss...
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    WiFi would be free since the data is going through the wireless network rather than the mobile one.

Oh the joys of having a work Blackberry and never seeing the bill. I travel a lot with work but haven't a clue how much my BB costs. Maybe I should ask my boss...

Great.. thanks for clarifying that. It would be good to keep an eye on my emails if wifi were available.