Options

The Next time the Bank of England prints money give EVERYONE a share!!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Yes but it is directly linked - the QE has been pretty much used to buy government debt to support the level of Public Spending we have. If you use that QE for something else then you either have to have more QE for the debt, less Public Spending or 'hope' that somebody else will step in and keep buying the debt.

You're the first person I've heard say there is a relationship between QE and willingness of investors to buy UK debt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    And right on cue...

Markets Boom After ECB Reveals Rescue Plan

World stock markets have rallied after the European Central Bank president outlined bond-buying plans to support struggling eurozone countries, after saying "the euro is irreversible".

The FTSE 100 closed 2.11% up, Germany's Dax was up 2.91% and France's Cac was lifted 3.06%.

However markets in Italy and Spain reacted with even more encouragement. Italy's MIB spiked 4.3% and Spain's Ibex was boosted by 4.91%.

ECB president Mario Draghi said unlimited bond-buying to help crisis-wracked eurozone countries would be linked to a "strict and effective" European rescue programme and certain conditions.

http://news.sky.com/story/981758/markets-boom-after-ecb-reveals-rescue-plan

But only for countries. Banks, like Mr Draghi's Goldman Sachs, continue to get ECB support with no meaningful conditions.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    It only goes back to July this year, so I'll take your word for it. What reaction did you get from other bankers to this view back in 2005?

There are not many other bankers on this forum, and they didn't reply. Labour supporters accused me of talking down the economy and such.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll answer this at greater length when I've time

Please do reply when you find the time :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    There are not many other bankers on this forum, and they didn't reply. Labour supporters accused me of talking down the economy and such.

You must have discussed it with your coleagues at work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must have discussed it with your coleagues at work.

Yes we did and adjusted our positions accordingly (as best we could) at the time.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Many who shared your view, including we non bankers, were also similarly accused :D