Options

XBox One CPU upclocked to 1.75Ghz; Now in Mass Production

Comments

• Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I agree completely. It's exciting for everyone and gaming is only getting better. Next gen is gonna be so fun no matter what system you own.

Personally speaking I don't mind numbers and tech speak but the constant comparisons to PS4 (usually instigated by Sony fans who hover on this board) is where the problem starts, I don't care for it personally.

The (40%) comparison is irrelevant to those who are buying both machines and those that only intend on buying one for the time being won't own the other to worry about any potential differences. Like Gamercraig said in another thread, all I want a true next-gen successor to the 360 and we have with with X1, PS3 fans have their next-gen update with PS4, they both play games, they both have exclusives and they're both gonna be really good.
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Personally i don't think there will be much difference between the ps4 and the Xboxone. One thing is certain though these are very exciting times for gamers. Who cares about numbers? Gaming is what's important and as long as both consoles play the latest games then everyone's a winner right?
    So let's all just enjoy our new consoles and look forward to the goodies developers send our way.

Amen Brothe :D
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, very worrying..

That's right.

As I have said before, I had issues with my original Xbox 360 20Gb HDD meaning it simply wouldn't play certain downloaded games. The only officially sanctioned solution was to buy a new HDD (at MS's massively inflated prices might add) which just won't be an option this time around. Instead, you'll probably have to package your console up, send it away MS and have it replaced for an undisclosed sum which they are currently unwilling, or unable to disclose at this time.

As consumers, don't you think we should be able to get this information before spending £430 on a new console? After all, it's MS's own design decisions that have created this situation in the first place.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    If these are the things you are worried about, then i don't think the X1 is for you FF. Most people trust the warranty enough to know that if something goes wrong they will have a replacement, and for when that runs out then I'm sure people will make do with an external drive as their primary storage,so, like i said before, i would be more worried about a blu ray drive failure or another RROD.

We still don't know if the Internal drive can be replaced yet, we only know that if you open up the X1 then your warranty is void.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must be just very fortunate because in all my years of computing I have only had a hard drive fail once.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    I must be just very fortunate because in all my years of computing I have only had a hard drive fail once.

Never.

Beat ya!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Never.

Beat ya!

Lol. First one was only this January and cost me £500 in data recovery fees so lesson learnt!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol. First one was only this January and cost me £500 in data recovery fees so lesson learnt!

That's a lot of money just to get your Halo save back.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    That's a lot of money just to get your Halo save back.:p

Worse than that - my laptop and all my business is run from it
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    I think I read that the Xbox was 10 times more powerful. One thing I don't understand though. If its 10 times more that doesn't fit in with Moore's Law which says computers double in power every 2 years. The Xbox released 8 years ago so the power should be 16 times more powerful.
    The 360 had 0.5GB of RAM, the One has 8GB, so right there it has 16 times more power. Obviously that's for certain definitions of "power", but more RAM would have made for better games even if the CPU and GPU were unchanged.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree completely. It's exciting for everyone and gaming is only getting better. Next gen is gonna be so fun no matter what system you own.

Personally speaking I don't mind numbers and tech speak but the constant comparisons to PS4 (usually instigated by Sony fans who hover on this board) is where the problem starts, I don't care for it personally.

The (40%) comparison is irrelevant to those who are buying both machines and those that only intend on buying one for the time being won't own the other to worry about any potential differences. Like Gamercraig said in another thread, all I want a true next-gen successor to the 360 and we have with with X1, PS3 fans have their next-gen update with PS4, they both play games, they both have exclusives and they're both gonna be really good.

It's no secret i'm a Sony fan lol but the end of the day to me it's gaming that matters i'm not even getting ps4 on release date , i'll be getting it around about April/may 2014 then shortly after i'll be getting the xbxoxone. Personally i can't wait to see what goodies both consoles bring my way :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    It's no secret i'm a Sony fan lol but the end of the day to me it's gaming that matters i'm not even getting ps4 on release date , i'll be getting it around about April/may 2014 then shortly after i'll be getting the xbxoxone. Personally i can't wait to see what goodies both consoles bring my way :)

Why can't more folk be like this. I can't wait to get both personally but I've said it before, the Xbox one despite it being 40% weaker than PS4 (lol, that makes me laugh everytime I read it) its the console that definitely excites me more, from the games to all the other stuff MS have thoughtfully included.

The Xbox One is more of a gadget man's gadget, I like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If these are the things you are worried about, then i don't think the X1 is for you FF.

It's not going to put me off buying one, but I'm struggling to understand MS's design decisions and would be interested to know what their plans are.

It may well be that you will be able to plug in an external drive and the console will carry on nicely without the internal drive. But this is the kind of stuff that they should be communicating to their potential customers.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    It's not going to put me off buying one, but I'm struggling to understand MS's design decisions and would be interested to know what their plans are.

It may well be that you will be able to plug in an external drive and the console will carry on nicely without the internal drive. But this is the kind of stuff that they should be communicating to their potential customers.

It is fairly likely that the console uses the internal HDD for caching an OS functions so it will not be able to run without an internal HDD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If your data is that valuable, a good backup system should be in place ? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    It is fairly likely that the console uses the internal HDD for caching an OS functions so it will not be able to run without an internal HDD.

In which case, if the HDD fails then the console is effectively bricked until you send it off to MS.

It all just seems like a major hassle which could have been avoided had they allowed the HDD to be user replaceable.

I don't get their logic.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facts and figures about each console at this stage don't make any difference to me either, as it's the games that matter more to me.
    I'm getting both on their respective release days as my xmas present to myself and I can't wait.
    This is the first console launch that I've been able to afford to get both, let alone one console on launch day.
    My hardest decision when I've got both is deciding which console to play on:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In which case, if the HDD fails then the console is effectively bricked until you send it off to MS.

As is the same with the power supply on the ps4.;)

Are you suggesting that the dvd drive, HDD, PSU should all be interchangeable? Because there is already a platform that allows that.

At the end of the day Microsoft lost over 1 billion dollars to faults on the xbox 360, they will have tested these box's over and over, but faults happen even on the most reliable of goods.

It is fairly likely that the console uses the internal HDD for caching an OS functions

There is also an 8gb flash drive, but we are still unsure what it is used for.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 8GB of flash is to save the state of the console when you turn it off so you can instantly power up again and straight into the game.
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member

Are you suggesting that the dvd drive, HDD, PSU should all be interchangeable? Because there is already a platform that allows that.

At the end of the day Microsoft lost over 1 billion dollars to faults on the xbox 360, they will have tested these box's over and over, but faults happen even on the most reliable of goods.

Yes I agree However the PSU is not completely outside the Xbox One. The part of the PSU that is outside the Xbox one converts the power into a voltage the xbox one can recieve the remaining part of the PSU is done internally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The difference is that HDDs are widely available, and relatively inexpensive. They are also incredibly easy to replace safely with very little technical knowledge, as demonstrated on 360.

I appreciate that MS will have learned much from the RROD situation. But they have little control of the quality of HDDs. Letting us swap them out could have saved them a lot of potential hassle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I think the 8GB of flash is to save the state of the console when you turn it off so you can instantly power up again and straight into the game.
    I think this too, or maybe as a cache for the timeshift DVR functions? Not sure how much space 7 minutes would take up.

Using the flash would mean it hasn't got use the hard drive that is also being used to play the game.
    I've had one arrive DOA, not sure that counts!

I've never actually had anything fail on me, ever. It amazes me how some people have things continually fail like they live in some EMP testing zone or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The difference is that HDDs are widely available, and relatively inexpensive. They are also incredibly easy to replace safely with very little technical knowledge, as demonstrated on 360.

I appreciate that MS will have learned much from the RROD situation. But they have little control of the quality of HDDs. Letting us swap them out could have saved them a lot of potential hassle.

It would have been a nice added extra to have an interchangeable HD, but as external drives can be used i don't see it as necessary.As I've said before there are plenty of other things that could go wrong that i'm far more worried about.

Hopefully we'll see mods come in the future for when the warranty expires, after all, the original Xbox never had an upgradable hard drive and i think we all know how that turned out.:)
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    I think this too, or maybe as a cache for the timeshift DVR functions? Not sure how much space 7 minutes would take up.

Using the flash would mean it hasn't got use the hard drive that is also being used to play the game.

I've had one arrive DOA, not sure that counts!

I've never actually had anything fail on me, ever. It amazes me how some people have things continually fail like they live in some EMP testing zone or something.

I have had around 6 or so fail over the years but they all lasted over 3 years so out with the warranty.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    All of this concern-trolling has really got to stop. No-one is seriously worried about their internal HDD dying. With ShopTo you get a one year console replacement service if something goes wrong anyway, I presume it's the same with other outlets. It's always wise to perform back-ups to the cloud or external devices regularly anyway.