Options

Sara Cox Sounds Of The 80s Radio 2 (Thread )

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    That's my concern. Johnnie Walker's music on Sounds of the Seventies is so predictable and safe.

But Steve Harley's wasn't, that was excellent. For instance, Be Bop Deluxe, never heard of them before until I heard stuff on Steve Harley's show, and have since become a fan of them and Bill Nelson.

As for the 80s show, well the official BBC blurb includes this...
    Hard rock, heavy metal, glam metal and new country became dominant genres which also saw the emergence of U2, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Prince, Duran Duran, The Smiths and David Bowie.

Glam metal? New Country? No idea what glam metal is supposed to be, unless it's people like Kiss dressing up, as for New Country, I didn't know it was successful in the 80s, people like Garth Brooks and Dixie Chicks I associate with much later.

As for that list of artists, well, it's same old same old, isn't it? Not hopeful, though I'll still give it a go.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I'll be listening (well, recording!). I'm hoping she'll play the stuff that was on the radio back in the day, not just the safe songs. She is an odd choice, someone who came into their teens in 1980 would have a far better knowledge of what was on the radio back then than a child, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Who knows she may have been under the bedclothes at 9PM tuned to 208 or her local ILR and know loads of great old stuff? Good luck Sara, don't let us oldies down ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was just thinking about the difference between Steve Harley and Johnnie Walker doing Sounds of the 70s, and wondered why the BBC's Sounds of the 80s wasn't given to an eloquent musician of the period.

Harley used to throw in interesting anecdotes about the people he was playing, explain how they influenced his own music etc.

Noddy Holder also presented a 70s show for many years.

There have been plenty of 80s stars who have made a transition to radio, so why not one of them? Tony Hadley and Howard Jones are a couple of examples. Phil Oakey has tremendously broad musical knowledge when I've heard him speak, and I'm sure he'd be good on radio.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this show. I love Coxy and glad she has a gig on R2 but i'd love to have heard Moyles doing this show. He's a massive 80s music fan & geek. He would craft 80s stlye jingles in to the show so well, like Tony's custom jingles on POTP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this show. I love Coxy and glad she has a gig on R2 but i'd love to have heard Moyles doing this show. He's a massive 80s music fan & geek. He would craft 80s stlye jingles in to the show so well, like Tony's custom jingles on POTP.

Very good idea!
  • Options
    mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I quite like the time this show is on. :) Suits me nicely.

Yes I'll give it a listen too.
  • Options
    Missy MooMissy Moo Posts: 474
    Forum Member

Adam Buxton would be great, too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Why is Black or White (MJ) is being used as a background song? (During Sara's links). It came out in 1991.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's TXing live - monitoring twitter chatter..
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Why is Sara speaking in such slow, measured tomes? Relax and be yourself!
  • Options
    jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sounds v nervous, or is just restricted by reading details of all tracks - not needed in my opinion.

Let her be herself - an excellent broadcaster
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great start with Two Tribes blasting out!

Agree on Black Or White, I almost thought she was going to play the actual record, ahem from November 1991! Good point though, even as backing music it sounds odd on an 80's show to make that kind of faux pas within the first ten minutes.

SAW with the second record, aaghh. One of their better ones I suppose, but Donna Summer in the 80's would be State Of Independence to do her any justice.

Aaah, lovely to hear Aneka on the phone. Nicely unexpected. More like this please. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh - Madonna produced by Chic... opener to Like a Virgin..
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Relaxing and sounding good now and clearly some thought has been given to the music and guests. This could shape up to be very good indeed if the same amount of attention keeps being given to the content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on September 7th the whole house was being shaken by a really annoying loud bass sound. So loud that I went out to listen to where it was coming from, thinking nearby was having a party. Not quite! I was fixated by what I heard because I kept hearing a lot of ABC being played which sounded odd. I live about 4 miles from the Milton Keynes Bowl, and somebody came up to me and said it sounded like live music. Certainly did not expect it to be from the MK Bowl, although some major acts have been heard from 4 miles distance over the years.

To cut a long story short (80's song title!), it turned out that many 80's artists, including ABC and Heaven 17 had been brought in to do an outdoor corporate show at the VW headquaters in Milton Keynes, and I could hear ABC belting out just about every single they ever released from about 2 miles away, on top of many other acts, by simply standing in the garden. I was rather surprised to say the least. A Saturday night interupted by live ABC booming out. They sounded great by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Back on September 7th the whole house was being shaken by a really annoying loud bass sound. So loud that I went out to listen to where it was coming from, thinking nearby was having a party. Not quite! I was fixated by what I heard because I kept hearing a lot of ABC being played which sounded odd. I live about 4 miles from the Milton Keynes Bowl, and somebody came up to me and said it sounded like live music. Certainly did not expect it to be from the MK Bowl, although some major acts have been heard from 4 miles distance over the years.

To cut a long story short (80's song title!), it turned out that many 80's artists, including ABC and Heaven 17 had been brought in to do an outdoor corporate show at the VW headquaters in Milton Keynes, and I could hear ABC belting out just about every single they ever released from about 2 miles away, on top of many other acts, by simply standing in the garden. I was rather surprised to say the least. A Saturday night interupted by live ABC booming out. They sounded great by the way.
    And you just stood/sat there grinning - got the beers close to you and enjoyed Poison Arrow etc etc..
    ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's hollow EQ!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's that horrible sound all over St Elmo's Fire? Sounds like a bad bit of wow and flutter...
    On digital playout?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    And you just stood/sat there grinning - got the beers close to you and enjoyed Poison Arrow etc etc..
    ?

Not quite, but Poison Arrow sounded brilliant. Almost sounded like the record to be honest, but wasn't. I even heard the guys from Heaven 17 doing a couple of Human League tracks! The event led to letters in the local rag the following week from people who felt forced to hear the whole event across town. Mind you, if you are going to get unwanted noise pollution then I can't think of anything better than early 80's British pop music. :)
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Sara was great on her first 80' s how and the song were a good mix of stuff from the decade . She was live as se read my text out , an many others. It sounded like Aneka was live on the phone to her as well, and Boy George who came on for a chat at about 11.30pm. Look forward to next weeks show now, as it might be different to all the other 80's stuff out there.....
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info about Forgotten 80s, I'll check that out on Sunday.

I am listening to Sound of the 80s on iPlayer now and it's alright so far. I can't find a tracklisting online yet though. And how can I download the show to play in the car ? I used to use Radio Downloader but that has been discontinued.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show. How appropriate to get Boy George in to mark the 30th anniversary of Karma Chameleon, one of the great British pop singles of the decade. What a great selection too from George - 'Brilliant Mind' by Furniture.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    Why is Sara speaking in such slow, measured tomes? Relax and be yourself!
    Indeed.

Great mix of tracks last night -- some I haven't heard in years, and a top guest. More of the same please. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Great show. How appropriate to get Boy George in to mark the 30th anniversary of Karma Chameleon, one of the great British pop singles of the decade. What a great selection too from George - 'Brilliant Mind' by Furniture.

Always nice to hear Boy George, still a household name 30 years later. Something reassuring when you hear him talking that melts the years away, as I'd been feeling melancholic about it being 30 years when only a few days ago I was thinking about Karma Chameleon and it being exactly 30 years since it was No1 when I glanced through a home tape of mine, filled solid with hits taped from the Radio 1 chart show on 8th October 1983. Hits by Culture Club, David Bowie, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Paul Young, Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack, David Essex, Genesis, Howard Jones, The Alarm....and who recalls Dolca Vita by Ryan Paris?
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I was generally pleased with what was heard on the show - I've got to catch up with the last hour as I fell asleep! I especially like the featured album bit and the countdown, but wished she was playing the countdown songs in full instead of just clips.
    God, it makes me feel old thinking that Karma Chameleon was number 1 30 years ago. Another song from that time that was high in the charts that totally passed me by at the time althogh I certainly knew their other hits, was Walking In The Rain by Modern Romance, Would love to hear Sara play that.