• joeseeksjoeseeks Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 Words is her WORST song.
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    Not being harsh, but she didnt have any artistic merit to "sell out" with to begin with. She's always just been a commercial machine for a record company. She will churn out whatever makes money the quickest.

This

I remember when people called Eminem a ''sell out'' for going pop, and Usher a sell out for making more dancey tunes.

Cole has no credibility!
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    This

I remember when people called Eminem a ''sell out'' for going pop, and Usher a sell out for making more dancey tunes.

Cole has no credibility!

Usher's always done dancey tunes. Most notably in the mid-00s he did some crunk songs.

The difference now was that he had completely left the genre. Before, he was doing club songs like Yeah!, but they were still "urban". But now he's doing eurodance songs, the worst being Dirty Dancer and More. If he kept doing urban dance/club songs I think he'd've been fine (and would probably have higher album sales today, albeit less singles chart success).

With Cheryl, I agree. She's been a pop star from day 1. She came from a reality TV show. And I don't think she's ever claimed to be any more than what she is. I actually think as far as pop stars go, she's pretty good. In recent years, many pop stars have refused to stray from the electropop formula (since they want easy chart hits), but Cheryl has quite a few times. Especially a song like 3 Words, someone like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry would never release a song like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Like Cheryl in girls aloud and solo and own all her albums .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Cheryl's best album is her debut in my opinion, Its awesome!
  • TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    How can you be a sellout if you never had any integrity to begin with?

THIS!! A hundred times this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Usher's always done dancey tunes. Most notably in the mid-00s he did some crunk songs.

The difference now was that he had completely left the genre. Before, he was doing club songs like Yeah!, but they were still "urban". But now he's doing eurodance songs, the worst being Dirty Dancer and More. If he kept doing urban dance/club songs I think he'd've been fine (and would probably have higher album sales today, albeit less singles chart success).

With Cheryl, I agree. She's been a pop star from day 1. She came from a reality TV show. And I don't think she's ever claimed to be any more than what she is. I actually think as far as pop stars go, she's pretty good. In recent years, many pop stars have refused to stray from the electropop formula (since they want easy chart hits), but Cheryl has quite a few times. Especially a song like 3 Words, someone like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry would never release a song like that.

Katy Perry released The One That Got Away and Gaga You and I. I don't think these were the typical electropop. ;)

I think Cheryl cares TOO much about success. I mean come on, her second album was a mess, she released two singles and gave up on it, the same with her third album. She never finishes anything off. She doesn't write her own music, she never really bothers to tour/promote she just simply relied on XFactor to boost sales. She needs to get off her ass and work hard to reap the rewards.

EDIT: Saying this I am a big Cheryl fan, I just think she is very lazy.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy Perry released The One That Got Away and Gaga You and I. I don't think these were the typical electropop. ;)

I think Cheryl cares TOO much about success. I mean come on, her second album was a mess, she released two singles and gave up on it, the same with her third album. She never finishes anything off. She doesn't write her own music, she never really bothers to tour/promote she just simply relied on XFactor to boost sales. She needs to get off her ass and work hard to reap the rewards.

EDIT: Saying this I am a big Cheryl fan, I just think she is very lazy.

Isn't that sort of contradictory? She cares so much about success yet she doesn't release many singles or bothers to promote her own material, that doesn't sound like the actions of someone who cares so much about success imo.

Don't get me wrong I think she likes being famous and having her singles and albums sell well, but I don't believe that is everything to her. She claims she loves being able to spend time with her family now that she is off X Factor and loves having the free time to enjoy that aspect of her life.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Isn't that sort of contradictory? She cares so much about success yet she doesn't release many singles or bothers to promote her own material, that doesn't sound like the actions of someone who cares so much about success imo.

Don't get me wrong I think she likes being famous and having her singles and albums sell well, but I don't believe that is everything to her. She claims she loves being able to spend time with her family now that she is off X Factor and loves having the free time to enjoy that aspect of her life.

I think the point the FM was trying to make was Cheryl doesn't have an apparent love for music, her sole intention is to try stay famous so she has to release music now and then.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    I think the point the FM was trying to make was Cheryl doesn't have an apparent love for music, her sole intention is to try stay famous so she has to release music now and then.

Yeah you could be right actually, but they should have said fame rather than success then.

As surely if someone cares 'too much about success' then they would 'get off their ass and work hard and reap the rewards'. And would continue to promote and release singles in order to be more successful rather than give up on them as the poster said.

But yeah I suppose if they did just mean fame it makes more sense.