Options

Overused/irksome TV phrases or catchprases

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
I've noticed that quite a lot of TV shows (especially daytime ones) seem to rely heavily on beating phrases or catchphrases to death. On The Wright Stuff, for example, Matthew Wright could really do with updating his script from the "your calls and nothing but after the break", which he says before every ad break. As much as I like Tim Wonacott, I can't stand his "very very good luck" or (even worse) "leftover lolly" on Bargain Hunt. Pointless has a fair few of them, too (as do most quiz shows): notably "can you find that all important pointless answer"; "our coveted pointless trophy"; "my pointless friend"; and "it's goodbye from me, and it's goodbye from him". A classic old one would have been Jerry Springer's "look out for yourselves... and each other". I'm sure there are heaps more!

Comments

• Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    The one I hate is when they say "We're lovin' this"...or "We're lovin' that" etc. Unfortuantely it's made it's way into mainstream use now too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    The one I hate is when they say "We're lovin' this"...or "We're lovin' that" etc. Unfortuantely it's made it's way into mainstream use now too.

Another one that is everywhere (and once more, a favourite of Matthew Wright) is "legend". E.g. "Tomorrow we'll be joined by soap legend X/music legend Y/reality TV legend X".
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There is a one for adverts for new albums, usually by a Radio1 DJ, saying that 'Album of the year'.

How can it be album of the year when it hasn't even been released yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There is a one for adverts for new albums, usually by a Radio1 DJ, saying that 'Album of the year'.

How can it be album of the year when it hasn't even been released yet?

Oh gosh, speaking of adverts, recent ones for new films absolutely rile me. Particularly, when the affected American voiceover will screech, "in cinemas, November Eight". No one in the UK would say "November Eight" or "May Twelve" or "June Seven" - so why are these adverts trying to standardise such a bizarre way of speaking? I've never even heard Americans use this way of referring to dates; they would say "November the Eighth" or (at a pinch) "November Eighth". Rather strangely (and somewhat creepily) it seems to have started with the popularisation of the phrase "9/11" to refer to the events of 2001.

I also get unreasonably annoyed with the way every travel agent or holiday advert ends with the shoehorned in "ATOL protected". It's always just rushed in at the end - can't at least one try and integrate it into the body of the advert? Is it a legal requirement or something to let people know (a kind of audio small print)?
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    saying a show has "jumped the shark", though i suppose thats not really on the tv
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    "See you after the break" has to be the most pointless as it is impossible.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I've noticed that quite a lot of TV shows (especially daytime ones) seem to rely heavily on beating phrases or catchphrases to death. On The Wright Stuff, for example, Matthew Wright could really do with updating his script from the "your calls and nothing but after the break", which he says before every ad break. As much as I like Tim Wonacott, I can't stand his "very very good luck" or (even worse) "leftover lolly" on Bargain Hunt. Pointless has a fair few of them, too (as do most quiz shows): notably "can you find that all important pointless answer"; "our coveted pointless trophy"; "my pointless friend"; and "it's goodbye from me, and it's goodbye from him". A classic old one would have been Jerry Springer's "look out for yourselves... and each other". I'm sure there are heaps more!
    The most annoying Pointless one is "How would you spend this money?" - it's so clunky and stops the flow of the programme in its tracks. (I yearn to hear someone say, "Throw it off a cliff", "Paste it to my toilet wall", or even "Mind your own business", but unfortunately no-one ever does.......)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most annoying Pointless one is "How would you spend this money?" - it's so clunky and stops the flow of the programme in its tracks. (I yearn to hear someone say, "Throw it off a cliff", "Paste it to my toilet wall", or even "Mind your own business", but unfortunately no-one ever does.......)

I always think exactly the same thing about Flog It. Paul Martin always asks "so what are you going to spend the money on?" What does it matter? I'd love for an old person to say "crack" or "hookers" but all they ever say is "something for the grandchildren".

One other thing I hate about all of these antiques/auction programmes: why do they always made liberal use of the weakest, most eye-rollingly cutesy puns? For example, if a little horse statuette is up for sale on Flog It, Bargain Hunt or the Dickinson programme, the presenter will say something like "let's hope this gallops off to a huge profit". An antique clock? "Let's hope that this will chime with our bidders in the saleroom".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Ive been Jimmy Carr...goodnight:confused:
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My three main ones at the moment are:

'Not on my watch'
    'What happens in XXXX stays in XXXX'
    And the over-use of the word 'genius', normally by morons like Fearne Cotton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I always think exactly the same thing about Flog It. Paul Martin always asks "so what are you going to spend the money on?" What does it matter? I'd love for an old person to say "crack" or "hookers" but all they ever say is "something for the grandchildren".
    I'm writhing in pleasure reading that, lol - wouldn't it be so utterly fantastic?! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm writhing in pleasure reading that, lol - wouldn't it be so utterly fantastic?! :D
    There was a live interview with an old little Irish racehorse trainer after he won a big race and the intervierer asked a bog standard question "how do you feel / you must feel great / what are you going to do to celebrate" or similar.

He rambled excitedly for a bit then comes out with "i'm going to have ****ing sex tonight and everything" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There was a live interview with an old little Irish racehorse trainer after he won a big race and the intervierer asked a bog standard question "how do you feel / you must feel great / what are you going to do to celebrate" or similar.

He rambled excitedly for a bit then comes out with "i'm going to have ****ing sex tonight and everything" :D
    LOVE it!!! (How did the interviewer react?!) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOVE it!!! (How did the interviewer react?!) :D
    Short clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDSvciLZ-Q4

Longer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYEKSQNhy6U
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The astonishing / breathtaking new album from - insert singers' name here - "
    :mad:
  • Options
    owlie81owlie81 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    'Don't you dare change the channel' - as an advert break is imminent. Err on that note yes I think I WILL change the channel thank you very much. :D

I agree with the 'cheesy puns' as being annoying as well. It's often on those antique/property/consumer affairs type shows where in the presenter signs off with an appropriate pun. e.g. after exposing a rouge plasterer the reporter says 'lets see Mr xxx's firm plaster over this one'.

Another over used phrase is on news programmes is when the presenters say 'tell us what you think' - then that's followed by the presenter rattling off 5 different ways you can get in touch whether by facebook/text/email/phone/twitter blah blah. I mean who are these people that text/phone/facebook/twitter their comments in for about 3 of them to be read out during the show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think a trailer for Dave Gorman's new show covered that.

Newsreader: Tell us what you think
    Gorman: "NOOOO!!!! You're the newsreader. You tell me the news!!!"
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »

I hate that one to!.. who is the 'We' ?..When it is only one presenter.... shouldn't it be 'I' love this!...

Unfortunately you haven't found that all important pointless answer so you won't be going away with the money but you do take away our pointless trophy and the money rolls over to the next show....

This drives me mad!.. he never varies what he says it's like the producers don't think he can ad lib what to say at various points in the show and it has to be scripted for him!...:mad: