Options

Loner kitten??

cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
Forum Member
✭✭
Should maybe put this in Pets but it's quiet in that forum and thought I'd get a better response here.

One of my cats had a litter of three nearly 9 weeks ago. She's been a great wee mum and they all appear to be thriving, but there's one who keeps sitting on his own and doesn't really interact with the other two (who are identical).

I don't know if I should be worried or not or if he's just quiet by nature? I couldn't find him all day and eventually found him upstairs asleep. He sleeps a LOT lol, hence him being named Zed by the kids.:D

Any cat lovers know if it's normal for one kitten to be so different in nature to the rest of the litter even at this young age?

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could just be a quiet little thing. As long as he gets attention from Mum and is eating/drinking & fit and healthy otherwise, then he should be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Aw kittens? Lucky you! Yes just keep an eye on things. My cat had kittens 30 years ago, one was a wee runt but it didn't last long. She killed it herself and ate half of it. It was the most distressing thing I have ever gone through. Luckily your kitten is well passed that stage. It sounds like he/she might just be a wee quiet one. Is his/her hearing ok? Oh and photos please? :D:D
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you get autistic cats?
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you had the vet look at this kitten?

Does he eat and drink (and pee and poop) well? Is he thriving and putting on weight in the same way that the other two do? Does he interact with you and your family in the same way the other two do?

I'd be mildly concerned that he's not as active as the other two and would try and find out if there's something physically wrong - heart, hearing for eg. Are the other two both girls?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum and kittens were checked by vet at 8 days old. Clean bill of health. He's one of two boys, so he's not henpecked haha.. he's perfectly happy lying around on the laps of us humans but has no interest in the other two kittens! Perhaps it's for the best he's a wee quiet soul as he's the one the kids chose to keep. The other ones are going to new homes in the next week or two.

I have no idea how to add photos here avasgranny or I would :D

Eta..yes he's eating and everything fine. Rest of the time he's just lazing around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got three rescue sibling kittens. Had them since they were 3 weeks old. The two boys were very active and sociable, but the little girl was always off to one side... They're now 5 months old and all very lively and sociable. Litter mates can have very different natures, so I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put your pics on SnapFish or PhotoBucket and then put a link on here using the little globe symbol with a chain at the bottom ..

You get the code to place in the link so others can see it .. Like This

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Aaaw such a wee cutie!! Such handsome paws!! 😸🐾
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Cats aren't really social animals in the way us humans are. They don't need interaction with each other the way we do and are often more than happy to just be loners.
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Mum and kittens were checked by vet at 8 days old. Clean bill of health. He's one of two boys, so he's not henpecked haha.. he's perfectly happy lying around on the laps of us humans but has no interest in the other two kittens! Perhaps it's for the best he's a wee quiet soul as he's the one the kids chose to keep. The other ones are going to new homes in the next week or two.

I have no idea how to add photos here avasgranny or I would :D

Eta..yes he's eating and everything fine. Rest of the time he's just lazing around.

a lot can happen between 8 days old and now, most probably its just how he is but i would have him checked again just incase,
    i have a 9 week old kitten Finn, he left his mum early and ive now had him for 3 weeks, he does sleep a lot and he does like finding a quiet spot by himself to sleep but when hes not sleeping or eating hes a whirlwind, he attacks everything that moves, including me and my other 2 cats, he climbs everything, runs around and around playing..maybe your kitten is just quiet and loves to snuggle but it is better to be safe than sorry...
    on a side note ...i dont want to sound like a preachy cat owner but... your mum cat can get pregnant again once the kitten are only a few weeks old so i would spay her as soon as possible and at 9 weeks the kittens are due their first jabs so the vet would be able to check them over then too.
    and on a cute note heres my little Finn on one occasion when he was actually still enough forme to get a photo!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/28177416@N04/14930947581/ they look like they could be related :D
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaawww how cute is that...I want him.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is gorgeous cjsmummy :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cjsmummy and Lost Soul I used to really like you 2 but have suddenly gone off both of you................:p (:which is my jealous face not me sticking my tongue out at you 2) :D
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats aren't really social animals in the way us humans are. They don't need interaction with each other the way we do and are often more than happy to just be loners.

This just sums me up - so humans too can be very 'cattish' and I love being a loner!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    a lot can happen between 8 days old and now, most probably its just how he is but i would have him checked again just incase,
    i have a 9 week old kitten Finn, he left his mum early and ive now had him for 3 weeks, he does sleep a lot and he does like finding a quiet spot by himself to sleep but when hes not sleeping or eating hes a whirlwind, he attacks everything that moves, including me and my other 2 cats, he climbs everything, runs around and around playing..maybe your kitten is just quiet and loves to snuggle but it is better to be safe than sorry...
    on a side note ...i dont want to sound like a preachy cat owner but... your mum cat can get pregnant again once the kitten are only a few weeks old so i would spay her as soon as possible and at 9 weeks the kittens are due their first jabs so the vet would be able to check them over then too.
    and on a cute note heres my little Finn on one occasion when he was actually still enough forme to get a photo!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/28177416@N04/14930947581/ they look like they could be related :D
    Aww Finn is a wee cracker! I know.. mummy cat is booked to be spayed in a couple of weeks.. the kittens are getting their jabs next week :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Cjsmummy and Lost Soul I used to really like you 2 but have suddenly gone off both of you................:p (:which is my jealous face not me sticking my tongue out at you 2) :D

:D Aw don't be like that :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww Finn is a wee cracker! I know.. mummy cat is booked to be spayed in a couple of weeks.. the kittens are getting their jabs next week :)

Thank you cjsmummy, i do love a black and white kitty...Zed is absolutely gorgeous andi love the name!!
    Finn is getting his first jab on tuesday...im already worried sick
    I didnt want to sound preachy, there is nothing worse than a know it all cat owner :blush:
    Glad mum is being done though, i know someone who's cat had 6 kittens 11 weeks ago she is already obviously pregnant again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you cjsmummy, i do love a black and white kitty...Zed is absolutely gorgeous andi love the name!!
    I didnt want to sound preachy, there is nothing worse than a know it all cat owner :blush:
    Glad mum is being done though, i know someone who's cat had 6 kittens 11 weeks ago she is already obviously pregnant again...

Bloody hell. poor wee cat. >:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I was given Willow (the mum) I was told she was a boy! I lost my precious black and white kitty Cosmo 6 years ago and really wanted another black and white tom.. anyways she's had a wee litter now so no more. Too dangerous for her. We're keeping one kitten (Zed) other two are going to good friends soon. Gonna miss them!:(

Eta..ahh not good for that poor cat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was given Willow (the mum) I was told she was a boy! I lost my precious black and white kitty Cosmo 6 years ago and really wanted another black and white tom.. anyways she's had a wee litter now so no more. Too dangerous for her. We're keeping one kitten (Zed) other two are going to good friends soon. Gonna miss them!:(

Eta..ahh not good for that poor cat.

When i got Finn i was told he was a girl, after losing my cat Mac back in april i never wanted another cat...and i definitely didnt want a boy cat, friends gave him to us when he had to leave his mum early and swore he was a she so i named him Daisy, took him to the vets the next day and found out Daisy was a Finnley lol

Its good the other kittens are going to friend you'll be able to keep an eye on them as they grown up...and i hope to see a lot more photos of Zed in the future!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens

I really want a kitten, but my OH says no. We have 2 beautiful cats who are 10 years old, and they are as jealous as hell of each other, he reckons at least one of them would leave home if we got a kitten.

But kittens are everywhere, Facebook is full of them, tv ads are full of them and now this thread...

What would you do, would you get a kitten and risk it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens, I must stop looking at pictures of kittens

I really want a kitten, but my OH says no. We have 2 beautiful cats who are 10 years old, and they are as jealous as hell of each other, he reckons at least one of them would leave home if we got a kitten.

But kittens are everywhere, Facebook is full of them, tv ads are full of them and now this thread...

What would you do, would you get a kitten and risk it?
    Aww, I think it would be fine! My Willow wasn't too pleased when I got Casper as a kitten, but after a couple of days harmony was restored.:D