Songs You Didn't Know That Got to #2

spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Listening to today's Pick Of The Pops, I never knew that Leave Me Alone by MJ got to #2 on the Official UK Singles Chart back in 1989. Any one got any others?

Comments

• mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    busta rhymes - turn it up/fire it up (remix)
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna SOS. always thought it was a number one!
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I thought Wonderwall was number one but they were beaten by Robson & Jerome's I Believe of all things.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    #2s that I thought were #1 include Robbie & Kylie's 'Kids', Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You', A-Ha's 'Take On Me' and Queen's 'We Are The Champions'.

#2s that I have no idea how they got that high include Laurie Anderson's (brilliant) 'O Superman', Soulja Boy's (terrible) 'Crank That', 4-4-2's 'Come On England' and, while kinda cool, Laurel & Hardy's 'The Trail of the Lonesome Pine'.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #2s that I thought were #1 include Robbie & Kylie's 'Kids', Mariah Carey's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You', A-Ha's 'Take On Me' and Queen's 'We Are The Champions'.

#2s that I have no idea how they got that high include Laurie Anderson's (brilliant) 'O Superman', Soulja Boy's (terrible) 'Crank That', 4-4-2's 'Come On England' and, while kinda cool, Laurel & Hardy's 'The Trail of the Lonesome Pine'.
    That Laurie Anderson single is fabulous and deserved to be a No2. It rose from No18 to No2 in one week and looked like going to the top in October 1981 but fell back. I've got the extended 8 minute version on iPod.

Somebody should have told the compilers of 1977's K-Tel album "40 Number One Hits" that it only had 39 on the double album, which my parents bought at the time. It has Born With A Smile On My Face from Stephanie de Sykes on it, but it only made No2 in 1974.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    Listening to today's Pick Of The Pops, I never knew that Leave Me Alone by MJ got to #2 on the Official UK Singles Chart back in 1989. Any one got any others?

One reason why it did so well was that up until the single came out it was only available on the CD version of the album at a time when vinyl was still king (of pop). If you had the CD it was the 8th single off the album!