Options

Orange Broadband, POP E-mail Question

magikmaxmagikmax Posts: 796
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi Folks,

I live near Edinburgh, and get a maximum connection speed of 512k, and the quality of the line is poor, so my connection frequently drops. I'm fed up of having to pay AOL £17.99 a month for a service that doesn't always work, and I'm looking for a new mobile, and fancy the offer orange have for free broadband.

The question I have is:

AOL recently restricted the use of third party e-mail, meaning that while I can receive e-mail through my domain name's e-mail address, the port is blocked for sending mail, unless I use my AOL IMAP account.

Does Orange have a similar policy, blocking me from sending/receiving e-mail from my own domain name, or can I set this up and use it ok in Outlook?

Thanks for your help

Magik

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Orange block port 25 except for their own mail traffic.

If you've got your own domain mail then try to get the port changed. I' had my domain third party mail going through port 589 when I had my live Orange connection.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    magikmax wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I live near Edinburgh, and get a maximum connection speed of 512k, and the quality of the line is poor, so my connection frequently drops. I'm fed up of having to pay AOL £17.99 a month for a service that doesn't always work, and I'm looking for a new mobile, and fancy the offer orange have for free broadband.

The question I have is:

AOL recently restricted the use of third party e-mail, meaning that while I can receive e-mail through my domain name's e-mail address, the port is blocked for sending mail, unless I use my AOL IMAP account.

Does Orange have a similar policy, blocking me from sending/receiving e-mail from my own domain name, or can I set this up and use it ok in Outlook?

Thanks for your help

Magik

The situation is the same on Orange but you can still use your POP/IMAP accounts and just type smtp.orangehome.co.uk as the Outgoing Mail Server instead of your own domains. You won't notice any difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is really what I was getting at. I've always used the company's own SMTP address, always used to be Pipex for me, then of course AOL's, the problem was that unless you changed the 'From' e-mail address field to the AOL address, it wouldn't let you send the e-mail.

If Orange let me send an e-mail, from my own domain's e-mail address using their own SMTP server, then I'm fine.

Thanks for your help folks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    magikmax wrote:
    This is really what I was getting at. I've always used the company's own SMTP address, always used to be Pipex for me, then of course AOL's, the problem was that unless you changed the 'From' e-mail address field to the AOL address, it wouldn't let you send the e-mail.

If Orange let me send an e-mail, from my own domain's e-mail address using their own SMTP server, then I'm fine.

Thanks for your help folks

Yeah it will, Orange aren't as strict as AOL. At work we have our own domain / e-mail service with 1&1 and our POP/IMAP accounts work fine with Orange's SMTP server.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Tarq