Forum Member
    Diamond white
    Diamond blush
    Lemon hooch
    Orange hooch
    Max cider
    Two dogs
    Wkd, the one that tasted like irn brew
    I can still taste them in the back of my mouth and this list is making me gag even as I write them down, I was sick so many times after drinking them but would be back on them the weekend after!
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taboo and Mirage!
  • rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Round my way back then Cherry B and Cider mixed was known as a "Knicker Dropper".
    A proper Black Russian is crushed ice into a tumbler, add equal measures of Vodka and Kahlua.The Vodka, Tia Maria and Coke additions was a pub version of the cocktail just as Cider and Guinness was the pub version of a Black Velvet where the Cider took the place of Champagne.
    My own personal favourite back then and even now as a great summer drink was a Harvey Wall Banger....Crushed ice, Vodka, Fresh Orange Juice and then Galliano "floated" on top. This should be drank through a straw and as the glass empties the taste of the Galliano becomes stronger, very refreshing but the strength of the drink can be underrated because of the pleasant taste resulting in a few becoming very tipsy before they realise.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southern Comfort, lime and lemonade.
    Bacardi or Vodka and Coke
    Can of Breaker.( that was for the walk to thd pub, 50p a tin.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I seem to remenber buying rather a lot of Rum and Blackcurrants for you ladies back in my clubbing days.

Has the trusty Rum and Black fallen out of favour?
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remenber buying rather a lot of Rum and Blackcurrants for you ladies back in my clubbing days.

Has the trusty Rum and Black fallen out of favour?

Not me
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    MD 20/20 the Blue Raspberry one - foul.
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Cider - Scrumpy Jack, White lightning, K
    Stella Artois
    Miller Light
    Some other cheap lagers
    Guinness
    Red (bottled alcopop)
    Moscow Mule (bottled)
    Whisky & lemonade
    Vodka & Lemonade

oh and cocktails made up of everything in someone's parents' drinks cabinet

MD 20/20 was foul but I still drank it! :confused::D
    There also used to be Diamond Blush - the sister of Diamond White, which was a little sweeter. K cider was popular at one point too and loved the black matt bottles. Funny how bottled beers and ciders went in fashion and out again. I remember Elephant beer being popular too in the late 80s. In fact it was around 1987 when bottled lager became trendy instead of drinking draught. The first popular one was Holsten Pils in my haunts but I didn't really like it.

I know Smirnoff Ice was really popular but can you still get Smirnoff Black Ice - it wasn't quite as sickly for some reason.
  • SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Pints of snakebite (cider, blackcurrant and pernod),we were a classy lot
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue Nun
    Babycham
    Snowball
    Bulmer's Cider

All in strict moderation, naturally. I was a good girl, I was.:kitty:

Have always hated most spirits- whisky, brandy, vodka, gin & rum for example.

Hated beer and lager but loved cider. Still do, but very, very rarely.
    Drinking doesn't agree with me. Never did.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Babycham. I'm a cheap date.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pints of snakebite (cider, blackcurrant and pernod),we were a classy lot

Snakebite was half a lager and half a cider around these parts (blackcurrant optional). A lot of pubs wouldn't serve you one!
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »

oh and cocktails made up of everything in someone's parents' drinks cabinet

I remember swigging from an orange squash bottle filled with sherry, whisky, gin and topped up with Cinzano.I was about 14 & we shared it out behind the youth club.

Bleaurgh.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did chat up a girl who matched me on pints one night but no one drank G&T in the 70's.

Perhaps not in your sheltered world, but in South London a lot of us girls were drinking vodka and tonic, and one of my girl friends was drinking gin and bitter lemon.
    You'd occasionally get a few northern female tourists who drank pints, you could always tell where they were in the pubs and bars, there would be a space all around them, absolutely devoid of guys.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Girl after my own heart! Mine was pints of Guinness, Smooth, real ale or lager, mostly.

I remember a girl I was with being extremely ill after knocking back my half pint in one...

I told her it was neat vodka but she didn't believe me. The next day she did!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Girl after my own heart! Mine was pints of Guinness, Smooth, real ale or lager, mostly.

and i`m a guinness drinker now:D.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dubonnet and lemonade. Thought I was sophisticated.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    You'd occasionally get a few northern female tourists who drank pints,

A woman drinking a pint was a big no no then, it still is a bit really for me.
    My girls will order a pint at times and it still makes me cringe to see them drink out of a pint glass.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Jack Daniels and Coke and a Pint of Kronenbourg were my main choice of drink
    neat Smirnoff Black if they had it(not many places did finding a pub that sold that was great).
    Archers and Lemonade
    I wasn't really an alcopop drinker but I did like Metz and Moscow Mule
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowballs.

It was the 70s. That was the kind of drink yer friends' mams would give you.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman drinking a pint was a big no no then, it still is a bit really for me.
    My girls will order a pint at times and it still makes me cringe to see them drink out of a pint glass.

It was rare indeed to see women drinking pints in the seventies, maybe I saw it, but I can't recall it.
    I think that you see it more now because the modern woman wants to emphasise what she perceives as her hard fought for equality.
    As in, "I'm not really enjoying this pint, but I want you to see that I can drink it, just like the guys"
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    It was rare indeed to see women drinking pints in the seventies, maybe I saw it, but I can't recall it.
    I think that you see it more now because the modern woman wants to emphasise what she perceives as her hard fought for equality.
    As in, "I'm not really enjoying this pint, but I want you to see that I can drink it, just like the guys"

I occasionally have a pint of something, nothing to do with equality however, simply saves me going back up to the bar as often! There's no reason why a woman can't have a pint glass.

Snakebite - half cider half lager. I never understood why some bars wouldn't serve those because for me certainly a full glass of cider had a much faster effect, whereas it seemed watered down with lager in it. It certain made nobody I knew any more pissed any quicker.

Snakebite with blackcurrant - ah, lovely - Pink Panther we called that. Tasted and looked a bit like Cremola Foam and verrrry easy to drink.

Cider - Olde English, Dry Blackthorn. Yum.

Pernod and coke. Looked like muddy water but tasted nice.

Black Russian - heavenly but not often due to the cost of a drink with two spirits.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think I get your point, but although I'd personally never consider having a pint, it's up to the individual really what he/she drinks.
    Having said that, I did a straw poll among my brother and his friends.
    Perhaps it's because they are all Londoners, I don't know, but the overwhelming consensus from the guys was, 'women can drink whatever they want to, that's their prerogative, but if I saw two attractive girls in a club/bar, and one had a pint, the other a glass of wine/vodka/scotch there is no way that I'd make a play for the one with the pint.'
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dubonnet and lemonade. Thought I was sophisticated.

I like this too, also Martini rosso and lemonade and Gin and tonic. Any long drink with ice and lemon is my preference.