AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liberty in Japan has nothing to do with Liberty London afaik
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »
    Those coats given for the homeless will be available on ebay!

I thought the coats business was a bit odd.

For a start I didn't know if it was just staff being asked to donate or both customers and staff. It's good PR for them to put the idea up - who wouldn't help the homeless? - but if you have designer coats being donated organise an auction of them and publicise it. Then make sure the money really helps the homeless.

I admit to a giggle when she half-heartedly tried to pick up the Niole Farhi coat and said someone wearing it would never be able to get up off the ground but to me that emphasised the pointlessness of the awful half-hearted idea.
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Liberty in Japan has nothing to do with Liberty London afaik

I'll go back to being confused:D

I would have thought it would be listed on the Liberty website if they had a store in Japan, international presence and all that.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only saw the last ep (Christmas) and loved it. I've seen the boss on some other programs I think. I can't believe I never knew about Libertys Christmas Department, and I live in London! I also said to my flatmate "Are all the men Gay?" :D I might apply for a job, I love Xmas, and I'm Gay, I should be a shoe in!!! :D Obviously the guy in Menswear was the exception.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »

For a start I didn't know if it was just staff being asked to donate or both customers and staff. It's good PR for them to put the idea up - who wouldn't help the homeless? - but if you have designer coats being donated organise an auction of them and publicise it. Then make sure the money really helps the homeless.

I admit to a giggle when she half-heartedly tried to pick up the Niole Farhi coat and said someone wearing it would never be able to get up off the ground but to me that emphasised the pointlessness of the awful half-hearted idea.

I love the idea of the homeless of London swishing about in expensive furs! :D
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I only saw the last ep (Christmas) and loved it. I've seen the boss on some other programs I think. I can't believe I never knew about Libertys Christmas Department, and I live in London! I also said to my flatmate "Are all the men Gay?" :D I might apply for a job, I love Xmas, and I'm Gay, I should be a shoe in!!! :D Obviously the guy in Menswear was the exception.

Go for it Creamtea!
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink smoke? ;-)

Oh it has to be purple to match the bags! :p
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I'll go back to being confused:D

I would have thought it would be listed on the Liberty website if they had a store in Japan, international presence and all that.

Its the same logo but afaik its a seperate group

http://www.liberty-japan.co.jp/
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. If they had their own international store then I see no reason why they wouldn't make a point of mentioning it on the website. I think they'd probably do alright in Dubai and the States too, seems a bit old fashioned to just have the London store in this day and age.
  • Options
    chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member

Not really.

According to Liberty Japan's website, it is 100% owned by UK Liberty. If you click on the link, you are directed to Liberty of London's website.

The CFO of Liberty of London and the MD of Liberty Wholesale are also on the Board of Liberty Japan.

So not that separate after all.
  • Options
    Haggis&ChipsHaggis&Chips Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    The Pee-Wee Herman boy is my favourite :D

He really does channel Pee-wee to an extraordinary degree!! I suspect by accident rather than design though.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't get Pee Wee I got Kurt Hummel.

He really does channel Pee-wee to an extraordinary degree!! I suspect by accident rather than design though.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They charity does the coat collecting in a variety of places.
    They were collecting coats at London's Charing Cross Underground Station for three days earlier this month.

• Options
    OldvinylOldvinyl Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the same.
    I think the blokes in the loading bay are the exception. ;)

"You don't have to be gay to work here. But it helps"

:D

It was like they were competing with each other to be the most camp - "I'm the most Gay in this department!" :D
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved this series. The whole thing, especially going to London Fashion Week, reminded me of Ugly Betty. Pee Wee Herman Boy reminded me of a cross between Marc the PA and Justin, Betty's nephew! :D Loved his bow ties though. I'm trying to get the OH to start wearing them!

I'd love to work in the haberdashery department. The two ladies who run it look an absolute scream!
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »

Do it, Creamtea, think of the staff discount! :D
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree with you.

Does anybody else find the woman collecting coats to be similar to the fictional dotty receptionist in Doctors :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    2 grand for a stuffed bear? pffft! what idiot would buy that?

If you've got the money then it's something I would love and many other people would, doesn't make you an idiot does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get Pee Wee I got Kurt Hummel.

Part Pee Wee, a little Kurt Hummel and a bit of Justin Suarez (Ugly Betty's nephew).
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part Pee Wee, a little Kurt Hummel and a bit of Justin Suarez (Ugly Betty's nephew).

Perfect! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching the start of S2?

Loved them following that girl with the nail polish start up.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could have sworn that was Louis Michael from Gogglebox working in the ladies-wear dept at Liberty's. ;-) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching!
  • Options
    OldvinylOldvinyl Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching the start of S2?

Loved them following that girl with the nail polish start up.
    Loved it ! :-)
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything on Bargain Hunt from Libertys always fetches a good price
    I remember as a boy being regularly to a London store where there was a huge stuffed bear by the front door. Used to terrify me
    Was it Libertys, unlikely because they are so dear. Gamages, Selfridges maybe
    I also remember going to Selfridges at Christmas and being put on a train to go and see Father Christmas. I screamed the place down and my mother had to fight her way through the train tracks to retrieve me