Doctors urge Calpol makers to change the taste.

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
Forum Member
✭✭
A leading doctor has warned that children could be at risk of accidental overdose from Calpol and other brightly coloured drugs that ‘look more like milkshake than medicines’.

Doctors say that Calpol’s syrup-sweet strawberry taste and pink colouring also makes it ‘almost irresistible’ to some youngsters.

Does this guy even have children. When mine are ill they will take Calpol but you try and give them something else which is not sweet tasting. I cannot get them to take it without a very big battle.

If children are getting hold of this medicine and overdosing on it. It is the parents responsibilty to put it out of reach.

If they made Calpol less palitable for children. I can see more of them being admitted to hospital because they refuse to take something to make them better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2924545/Calpol-dangerous-make-taste-like-strawberry-sweets-Doctors-urge-manufacturers-make-medicine-appealing-children.html#comments

Comments

• Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you. Makers of paediatric medicine aim to make appealing to kids so they'll take them. They shouldn't be at risk of overdosing because they shouldn't have access to the medicine or be dictating how much they get.

And I'd be surprised if they could get the darn thing open. Once the threads become congealed in all the sugary medicine even I am beat by the damn child-proof cap at times. :D

Personally we prefer paed ibuprofen. Kids like the orange flavour and we find it's more effective than Calpol at getting their temperature down.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I found Calpol rather pleasant tasting, not once did it cross my mind to climb upon the kitchen work top, search the top cupboards, struggle to take the cap off and glug the bottle down.

ETA: I remember another medicine I used to have sometimes, a yellowy-green liquid, I guess some kind of antibiotics. That used to give Calpol a run for its money in the taste department. Not a sugary sweet taste but a really unique lovely taste.
  • lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never really understood why most adult medicines taste so disgusting, when they are able to make calpol taste so nice.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get sugar free Calpol.

A kid would have to drink a couple of bottles to overdose. I've seen a child at A &E who had downed a whole bottle and was sent home as theres really not enough paracetamol in a bottle to be harmful.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter was ill this week and I've been giving her Calpol. During that time she kept asking every hour for more medicine but I can't blame that on the taste of the Calpol as I was also giving her a honey and lemon cough bottle and a bright yellow antibiotic, both of which smell disgusting. I think she just enjoys the novelty of it nothing to do with the taste.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Benylin... the devil's medicine. I used to screech the place down when I had to take it. Horrible taste. Calpol was lovely though.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love the yellow banana flavoured antibiotic but I knew not to take medicine myself. This doctor hasn't really thought his point through.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It already doesn't taste as nice as it used to! I used to sometimes take a wee spoonful when giving it to my eldest.:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I used to love the yellow banana flavoured antibiotic but I knew not to take medicine myself. This doctor hasn't really thought his point through.

That's the one I'm talking about. I think it smells awful :o
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calpol does taste very nice to be fair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Calpol does taste very nice to be fair.

It doesn't taste as good now as I remember. Probably because it's sugar free.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once overdosed on Benylin as I liked the taste took a few spoonfuls to many and coughed it up out of the mouth, the nose anywhere it would come back.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I used to LOVE the taste of calpol when I was young
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to kick all these lading experts and doctors in their crotches.

Why do people like them have to piss all over everybody's chips all the time? I'm sick of them. They're worse for my health than any fry up, alcoholic drink, drug, sweet tasting medicine or cigarette combined >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous - my 2 youngest were recently on really foul tasting anti biotics, everytime they had them there were tears and me having to hold their nose and mouth shut to get them down them, was awful for them and for me.
    They really need to keep the taste pleasant, all my medicines are kept in a cupboard none of my wee ones would try and get too and surely if a child is in pain, feeling poorly or temperature is high then let them have a medicine that tastes nice and is easy going down than give them something awful that they might spit out and therefore not helping the poor wee things.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is wise decision as from experience when I was a kid I actually overdosed on calpol when I was 5 I somehow got hold of it and got through the child safety cap and nearly drank all of it. I was rushed to hospital but im not sure what they did to me as I went into an unconscious state. Luckily it didnt affect me since im an adult now. I do think calpol should have its flavour changed so it doesnt encourage kids to drink it since it has lots of drugs in it
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is wise decision as from experience when I was a kid I actually overdosed on calpol when I was 5 I somehow got hold of it and got through the child safety cap and nearly drank all of it. I was rushed to hospital but im not sure what they did to me as I went into an unconscious state. Luckily it didnt affect me since im an adult now. I do think calpol should have its flavour changed so it doesnt encourage kids to drink it since it has lots of drugs in it

You must have been a very strong and clever 5 yr old.

As a Mum I even had trouble at times undoing the cap.

;-)
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    You must have been a very strong and clever 5 yr old.

As a Mum I even had trouble at times undoing the cap.

;-)

It surprises me as well this was many years ago now but I do remember getting the bottle out of the cupboard which was high up and getting it open and drinking it. My poor parents must of been going out of their minds when this happened. Calpol does taste nice which is what attracts kids to this medicine but really I think the flavour should change. I was lucky to recover from that overdose and be healthy today

As for the child safety caps I dont find them that hard to get open
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I could always open them when I was about 4 my Grandma had Cancer and I knew how to open her medicine bottles to help her and she couldn't use her arm.

I never once thought of taking them though or anything else I wasn't given to take.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I used to drink the Calpol 3+ when I was a kid, the 6+ was bloody disgusting though. I was so excited when I turned 6 and could move onto 6+, but till this day, its the biggest disappointment of my life.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to raise three children to adulthood without ever using Calpol. I frown on my daughters giving it to the grandchildren as well.
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could always open them when I was about 4 my Grandma had Cancer and I knew how to open her medicine bottles to help her and she couldn't use her arm.

I never once thought of taking them though or anything else I wasn't given to take.

Some child safety caps are easier than others.

It's like the safety caps on household cleaners too. Some are almost impossible to undo at times.

;-)
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    A leading doctor has warned that children could be at risk of accidental overdose from Calpol and other brightly coloured drugs that ‘look more like milkshake than medicines’.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2924545/Calpol-dangerous-make-taste-like-strawberry-sweets-Doctors-urge-manufacturers-make-medicine-appealing-children.html#comments

On the other hand, parents could ensure that they always put anything potentially dangerous away, out of reach, as soon as they've finished with it - like we did when our children were young.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Washing machines live longer with Calpol?
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I managed to raise three children to adulthood without ever using Calpol. I frown on my daughters giving it to the grandchildren as well.

You frown on the use of Paracetemol or on the use of Calpol ?
    Then Paracetemol is a very effective anti pyretic and pain relief ? I just wonder if you frown on relieving pain and fever or is it the brand you frown on ?