✭✭
Any fans of Dusty?

I absolutley adore her.

Comments

• Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely sensational talent; highly underrated. One of the first women to be successful in music and her voice is still as hauntingly brilliant today as it was in the 60's.
    I'd love a resurgeance of her work, it's so deserved. The successful duet with the Pet Shop Boys she did was great to see.

Did anyone see that show a few years back where the Dusty impressionist won? She was amazing!
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nebworth90 wrote: »
    Absolutely sensational talent; highly underrated. One of the first women to be successful in music and her voice is still as hauntingly brilliant today as it was in the 60's.
    Another and a favourite of mine was Connie Francis...
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nebworth90 wrote: »
    I'd love a resurgeance of her work, it's so deserved. The successful duet with the Pet Shop Boys she did was great to see.

Did anyone see that show a few years back where the Dusty impressionist won? She was amazing!

I completely agree; her vocals were beautiful. And yes, I think the show was called "The One and Only"?
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    by contrast, ive just posted on the beyonce thread stating that her new song is the most horrible song ive heard for years.... and heres a tribute to aguably our greatest ever female singer (although kate bush was more creative).

she won critical acclaim by her peers, for her soulful voice, many people were surprised when they discovered she was white!

her finest moment was her cover of the byrds 'goin back' , a track she made her own.

theres still no one who can come close the her beautiful voice....
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Son Of A preacher man, such a classic

I also love Piece of my heart, Don't know what to do with myself, I only want to be with you, You don't have to say you love me, Mama Said, The Look Of Love, Breakfast in bed

I could go on.
  • Options
    Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dusty Springfield was an astounding singer. It was a real shame such was her psychological make-up, she never really realised it. By way of example, listen to her famous hit, Son of a Preacherman. The way her voice effortlessly and seamlessly joins the backing after the intro never fails to take my breath away.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably my favourite female singer of all time. She had a voice like velvet. My mum loved her and Karen Carpenter so I was brought up listening to them both. Both having quite a tragic life really. There were stories that when she moved to LA and got into drugs, she was in a violent relationship with her partner and she tried to strangle Dusty which then permanently damaged some of her vocal chords. I think her Pet Shop Boys stuff was great but you can certainly tell that her voice was no longer the instrument it was.

I love the Dusty in Memphis album. Just a Little Lovin is my favourite. Also love I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten, Welcome Home, Spooky, I Don't Wanna Hear it Anymore, ....the list goes on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusty In Memphis is considered a classic. I would urge anyone who likes Pop/ Soul music to check that album out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad was absolutely obsessed with her when he was younger.

She is a phenomenal singer - I love her hand gestures when she sings (Diana Vickers take note, this is how you do it!)

Breakfast in Bed is my favourite choon of hers 'You've been crying, your face is a mess' - the way she sings that line is just so beautiful.

Totally forgot her version of 24 hours from Tulsa!
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten was such an amazing song. I also loved her versions of Anyone Who Had A Heart and Sunny. She had a fantastic voice.

She died on my 32nd birthday - it wasn't a happy one :(.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midiboy wrote: »
    I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten was such an amazing song.
    It still is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByqXqz7Tvqo
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »

Thanks for that :)!
  • Options
    Cha Cha HeelsCha Cha Heels Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusty In Memphis is an album everyone should own. The US re-issue from a few years back has some extra outakes on it, including a beautiful cover of Make It With You.

This is a hidden gem from Dusty, it was one of the songs they played at her funeral, along with Going Back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XUsBkdN7Zs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone seen that advert with I only want to be with you?
    Nice to see Duffy getting a bit of airplay
  • Options
    digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dusty was a colossal talent, my personal favourite of hers is goin' back...apparently played at her funeral:(
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dusty Springfield in three guises.

As one third of an unsuccessful female vocal trio called the Lana Sisters:-

The Lana Sisters - My Mother's Eyes (1960)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViE2WmVzu-A

Dusty left the Lana Sisters shortly after recording the previous track and joined her brother, Tom, in another vocal trio, the Springfields. The group soon achieved a high degree of popularity and they frequently appeared on what were known at the time as "light entertainment" TV shows. Hardly any clips of the Springfields' TV appearances have survived, but here's one that has:-

The Springfields - One Note Samba (1962/3)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhPIN2SzSSI

The Springfields broke up in 1963 and Dusty embarked on a solo career, becoming one of the most successful British singers of the sixties. Here's one of her earliest solo recordings, an excellent version of a song that was hit for the Merseybeats:-

Dusty Springfield - Wishin' and Hopin' (1964)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k
  • Options
    I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this woman :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is already a thread on her
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great singer. One of the best :)
  • Options
    paul epaul e Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough www.oldiesparadise.com were playing ''I close my eyes and count to ten'' just as I was reading this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they release a career spanning Hits collection of Dusty
    So many compilations have been released but none of them really contain the best of what she gave us. There is always a few tracks missed out

I have a few of her studio albums but they have been remastered and make her sound awful7
    Thankfully my copy of the legendary Dusty in memphis was left in it's original state.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    First post in this thread this year :(

One of Dusty's lesser known tracks , Live It Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3Wcnlbit4