Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    wow those toasts puffing up looked cool!
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deconstructed hollandaise..hmmmm different!!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does look cool but again not funny as such...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Love that it's always 'rising star ' emily, 'classically trained' chris and 'young gun' peter - really helps with tne identification ........
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love that it's always 'rising star ' emily, 'classically trained' chris and 'young gun' peter - really helps with tne identification ........
    They do that with masterchef too - they love a label.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surprised with that judging.
    Pete didn't hit the brief. He just had a plain refined piece of fish.
    The other two hit the brief better and I thought that Emily was going to come out on top this round.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil was wrong saying fennel is too foreign for a cornish dish: Wild Fennel is naturalized in Britain, especially on the coast!
    Forum Member
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    Phil was wrong saying fennel is too foreign for a cornish dish: Wild Fennel is naturalized in Britain, especially on the coast!
    I can't see how it matters as long as the combination works. The local ingedients theme was a few years back.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    While I was watching tonight, I enjoyed the most amazing tuna, caviar, truffle and quail's egg salad! :D

Just a pity there wasn't any caviar, truffle or quail's egg in it! :rolleyes:
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Once again I liked Emily's dish best, not warming to Peter and thought Chris's dish looked ridiculous.

Not impressed with fish and chips without chips, too clever by half , he's just trying to be controversial
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    While I was watching tonight, I enjoyed the most amazing tuna, caviar, truffle and quail's egg salad! :D

Just a pity there wasn't any caviar, truffle or quail's egg in it! :rolleyes:

:p how very innovative :D
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Once again I liked Emily's dish best, not warming to Peter and thought Chris's dish looked ridiculous.

Not impressed with fish and chips without chips, too clever by half , he's just trying to be controversial
    I don't think it was controversial, just pretentious. The judges called him up on it.
    He named it seaside memories and said it was fish & chips.
    But not a battered deep fried fish and no chips :confused: That would be what most people would have memories of when thniking about fish & chips.
    That and the spray are supposed to be fun and fit the brief?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    "Great British Menu is back and the nation's greatest chefs are competing to cook at a special banquet at the Royal Albert Hall to celebrate 25 years of Comic Relief's Red Nose Day and celebrate the unsung heroes of charity work. Not only do they have to deliver a performance on a plate to win, they will also have to put a smile on everyone's face. "

Whilst I think some of the dishes are stunning and look delicious - I just can't quite see the humour side - performance on a plate? Putting a smile on the diner's face? I'm just thinking that there is great scope with this brief to take a play on the funny side of life and incorporate it into the dish. From everything to kitsch jokes, classic humour, comedy shows and I like the fact that some chefs have incorporated a dish to show the work done by comic relief.

I thought the green eggs and ham was quite clever - if it had been served under a striped red hat cloche that would have been visually brilliant. I also thought the dish was well conceived and everyone seemed to like it. I felt it was closest to the brief and under-marked.

Today, I thought that the fish dishes were part of the wrong show - they skipped the humour and performance part of the brief. No-one really shone for me - but I again thought Emily was undermarked.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure the chefs who are judging really know what they're doing in terms of the brief. I'm wondering whether any of them are really confident with what this brief requires and so are playing it safe, going for the dishes that taste and look most impressive and letting the judges sort it out.

Emily is doing by far the best in the direction of the brief but seems to be missing somewhat from a cooking perspective. Peter's either misread the brief as "Nostalgia" or he had one hell of a hilarious childhood! His food looks beautifully cooked to be fair but it isn't even making crack a smile, let alone laugh and Chris looks to be missing marks all ends up. Not impressed thus far. Again.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure the chefs who are judging really know what they're doing in terms of the brief. I'm wondering whether any of them are really confident with what this brief requires and so are playing it safe, going for the dishes that taste and look most impressive and letting the judges sort it out.

Emily is doing by far the best in the direction of the brief but seems to be missing somewhat from a cooking perspective. Peter's either misread the brief as "Nostalgia" or he had one hell of a hilarious childhood! His food looks beautifully cooked to be fair but it isn't even making crack a smile, let alone laugh and Chris looks to be missing marks all ends up. Not impressed thus far. Again.

That sums it up perfectly! :cool:

I can only hope that when it comes to the final, the judges at least consider the original brief!

We have chefs (described as "mentors") judging chefs, but if the theme is Comedy, did nobody think to have some comedians as mentors/advisers at an early stage in the process ... preferably when the chefs were coming up with ideas for their dishes? I'm assuming there will be a bunch of comedians at the banquet, so wouldn't it have been a good idea to pair them up with the chefs so they'd also be involved in the whole process? At least we might have had some comedy element to all the dishes!

If nothing else, I'm fairly sure any comedian worthy of the name would have pointed out to Peter that a picnic isn't funny, and that describing poached fish as "fish and chips" is just sad! :rolleyes:
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Indeed, even his descriptions don't seem to take into account the actual brief, he just witters on about childhood memories :confused: To be honest I'm going to be mildly disappointed if he doesn't serve up butterscotch Angel's Delight as his pud (or was that just my childhood memory :o )
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    "Great British Menu is back and the nation's greatest chefs are competing to cook at a special banquet at the Royal Albert Hall to celebrate 25 years of Comic Relief's Red Nose Day and celebrate the unsung heroes of charity work. Not only do they have to deliver a performance on a plate to win, they will also have to put a smile on everyone's face. "

Whilst I think some of the dishes are stunning and look delicious - I just can't quite see the humour side - performance on a plate? Putting a smile on the diner's face? I'm just thinking that there is great scope with this brief to take a play on the funny side of life and incorporate it into the dish. From everything to kitsch jokes, classic humour, comedy shows and I like the fact that some chefs have incorporated a dish to show the work done by comic relief.

I thought the green eggs and ham was quite clever - if it had been served under a striped red hat cloche that would have been visually brilliant. I also thought the dish was well conceived and everyone seemed to like it. I felt it was closest to the brief and under-marked.

Today, I thought that the fish dishes were part of the wrong show - they skipped the humour and performance part of the brief. No-one really shone for me - but I again thought Emily was undermarked.

Oooh, good idea! She should have done that!
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Monday they refered to Chris as "culinary heavyweight" which I thought was a bit unkind.

Particualrly with Tom in the room. :D
  • Natalie_CrannyNatalie_Cranny Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I usually love Tom Kerridge - but he seems to have missed the brief completely....

A Picnic is not funny, a Fish & Chip dish without the Chips isn't funny either....disappointing, but not funny!

I like Emily - and feel a bit sorry for her really.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice interview with the 3 judges on Loose Women today, Oliver came over really well hes a lovely man. They filmed the actual banquet yesterday but no details were revealed, not that I expected them to be.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually love Tom Kerridge - but he seems to have missed the brief completely....

A Picnic is not funny, a Fish & Chip dish without the Chips isn't funny either....disappointing, but not funny!

I like Emily - and feel a bit sorry for her really.

Agree about Tom - nostalgia does not equal humour!
    Forum Member
    Another point about the guest judges is that who knows if they have any humour at all. Kerridge seems to going by some of his previous dishes in the series. Not LOL funny but creative and pots a smile on the diners faces. (The potato sack and other stuff he's done).

Another I think would do well is Glyn Purnell. He seems to like to have a laugh and a joke.

Alot of the others are serious restaurant chefs and i'm not quite sure if they can let go of that enough to judge properly on humour/comedy/wittyness etc.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Young Gun" Peter is going for nostalgia again. Surely previously chefs have been criticised for doing something as traditional as a roast. I'm not really sure where the humour is coming from.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's just got the brief utterly wrong...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the roast dinner will taste really nice but it doesn't look very intersting! Fingers crossed for Emily....

are they copying each others ideas this week? they are all using booze today!!