Options

Have you ever seen a dead body?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
Forum Member
Have you? did you touch it? It gives me the creeps seeing dead animals not sure how I would react to seeing a dead human.

Comments

• Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - under my bed.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah when my mother was in intensive care (she recovered) I saw someone in a bed near to her being covered with a white sheet and wheeled away I never actually saw the body up close but it wasn't a nice sight seeing the body shape.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen a few but only one properly up close, a sudden death, eyes and mouth open n all that jazz, Quite unsettling indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes... my late husband just after he had died. He looked very peaceful and just asleep.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes my dad in the funeral home and I was with my grandfather when he died.

It was strange and quite disturbing. I occasionally have nightmares about bodies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Yes, but nothing creepy about it under normal circumstances
  • Options
    louisa320louisa320 Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member
    Yes, lots of times!!
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but nothing creepy about it under normal circumstances

Exactly. You can tell by looking at them that it is just the shell left. The person or soul if you like has flown.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was with both my dad and my mother-in-law when they died, both from cancer, both having been taken home for their last few days.

One I really remember was when I was on my motorcycle, heading up the M1 towards Leeds from Sheffield at about 10 at night. I could see hazards flashing ahead, so I slowed down. A couple of lorry drivers were flagging drivers down to get them to drop their speed and had blocked lanes 1 and 2 with their wagons.

I rode past them slowly in the only available lane and there was a body lying in the lane next to me. Looked like a young lad, laid out with one leg sticking up at an awkward angle. I couldn't figure out how he had got there, other than that perhaps he'd been thrown through the lorry's windscreen. It was a heck of a shock and it was all I could to to ride straight until I'd calmed myself down.

It transpired that it was a teenage lad who'd been trying to run across the motorway with his mate. He'd been hit by one car and then by subsequent other vehicles. I don't think the other lad had been hurt.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, my dad, in the nursing home where he passed away. I was gutted that we were not with him when he died but we got there soon after (about an hour). I never thought I'd be able to cope with seeing him dead (I knew he was in his final days) but it seemed like the most natural thing in the world. I was able to touch, hug and kiss him. He was still quite warm. The best thing was seeing how at peace he was. His face was no longer contorted in pain and that was such a relief to see. It's not for everyone but I was glad to have that chance.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back I had to build a website for the local funeral directors and part of the job required me to go around to all of the local directors and take photos of their premises. In a couple of them I had to take photos of the showroom, or what ever it is called, complete with open caskets containing people. It was the first time I had seen a dead body but they just looked like they were sleeping, if a bit on the grey side.

It was one of the more interesting photography jobs I have done, the hardest part was trying to get an angle that didn't include the dead people as I didn't have model releases from their relatives. I did end up photoshopping out the hand of one old lady as it looked like she was trying to climb out of the coffin.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes several. My husband died by my side in bed . Touched him stroked his face and kissed him. Went to the undertakers the day before his funeral and kissed him goodbye.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Nan, my Dad, my Aunt and my Mum.
    Not all at the same time.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had an occasion at work when the police turned up at our office and asked if someone would accompany them to the hospital as they believed someone from our office had been involved in an incident

Turned out they wanted me to identify the body of a colleague who has collapsed and died whilst out of the office.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hundreds if not thousands...
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    A few family members at funeral homes etc. A lot more through work, some not very pleasant at all unfortunately, but I have to say I'm used to it now.
  • Options
    KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Yes several. My husband died by my side in bed . Touched him stroked his face and kissed him. Went to the undertakers the day before his funeral and kissed him goodbye.

:( That is very open of you to share that xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KittyKream wrote: »
    :( That is very open of you to share that xx

It was 10 years ago. Still miss him very much but I am so glad he was at home and I was with him. Unlikely as this might sound his last words were "I love you". First and only time he ever said it..
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I was in Berlin walking down Schönhauser Allee one night when I seen a woman 'asleep' in her car. Found out the next day she was actually dead. There was a tea candle shrine where the car had been and everything! I still feel guilty for not realising :(

Oh, and when I lived down south Iotherwise local drunk was hit by an emergency vehicle and died at the scene. I seen him as I had gotten off the bus stuck in the queue to walk home.
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a nurse, so yes.

Was scared silly on my first one as a student, I made the healthcare assistant hold my hand whilst I went behind the curtain to see the patient.

When laying them out, I tend to just talk to them as though they're still there ie, just going to turn you now Mrs Smith and give your back a wipe. It's for my sake, not theirs.

Luckily I've not yet seen the dead body of someone I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    It was 10 years ago. Still miss him very much but I am so glad he was at home and I was with him. Unlikely as this might sound his last words were "I love you". First and only time he ever said it..

That must have given you a lot of comfort at such a hard time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Hundreds if not thousands...

Don't know if I really want to know... but will ask anyway.. you don't have to answer but what do you do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    That must have given you a lot of comfort at such a hard time.

It was funny because I only realised what he said several hours after he had died. He knew he was dying.
    I also so my darling mum dying and dead. She suffered from kidney failure. She was only 58. That was very tough
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    When I was in Cairo with friends we were walking around a less-than-salubrious area and there was what we thought was a homeless person asleep in a doorway. Then we noticed the insects crawling into and out of his nose and mouth, and a host of bruises. We realised then that he had been an RTA victim and the bystanders had just dragged his body into the doorway for someone else to deal with.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I used to be a nurse, so saw many dead people, and laid them out of course.
    When my parents died I was offered the chance to see them afterwards, but I chose not to.