So what are you buying from Amazon !!!

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was reading an old post on this board which was about someone being banned from amazon. What I found odd about the post is the number of people who replied that they could not cope without the site because they bought in the order of 10 items a month.

I dont think i buy 10 items from it a year let alone in one month. I have to say it has been on my mind for a few days what the heck is it people are buying from the site. I feel like i am missing out now on some wonderful new trend or cool bargains I am not aware of.

I am quite curious just what are people spending their money on !!!

Comments

• Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy loads but I ordered an HDMI cable yesterday. It's only the third thing I've ordered from them this year.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy stuff from them like certain Rock albums & blu-rays that are quite cheaper than they are in the likes of HM Thief.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I don't buy loads but I ordered an HDMI cable yesterday. It's only the third thing I've ordered from them this year.

oh i bought 2 belkin ones in the pound shop today !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I have a thing for books, geeky toys and gadgets that can easily run 20 orders a month. It's because of the prime subscription, with free next day delivery all the time I just order 1 or 2 things daily.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy many physical items, maybe once or twice or year. I've bought a few digital download computer games, although I mainly get them on Amazon US.

Last proper thing I got a was a keyboard that had Latin and Cyrillic symbols on the keys. My dad wanted to start doing some typing in Russian so it was a gift for him. You can get little stickers to stick on your existing keyboard but this looked better.

I might be looking for a cheapish, half decent camera soon.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I have a kindle so I download lots of books, mostly under £1, I've found some really good authors through the Kindle daily deals.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never bought anything from Amazon......
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use it to buy almost anything.
    Things I've bought from Amazon mainly include books, DVDs and games, but I've also bought calculators, molecular model kits, and a bag of copper sulphate before as well as various random nick-naks for Christmas presents.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blu Rays mostly.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    DVDs
    Blu-rays
    Kindle books
    Craft things (pens, pencils, paper, glue, stickers, scrapbooks etc)
    Vitamins
    Supplements
    Hamster/mouse things
    Food

I would be lost without it tbh
  • cfc86cfc86 Posts: 31,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Books
    Dvds
    Cds

I'd buy about 20 items a month from Amazon. Possibly more.
    My other source was HMV but they charge ridiculous prices which is a shame as I use to go quite a bit.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I was reading an old post on this board which was about someone being banned from amazon. What I found odd about the post is the number of people who replied that they could not cope without the site because they bought in the order of 10 items a month.

I dont think i buy 10 items from it a year let alone in one month. I have to say it has been on my mind for a few days what the heck is it people are buying from the site. I feel like i am missing out now on some wonderful new trend or cool bargains I am not aware of.

My housemate basically buys everything she needs on Amazon. Or elsewhere online if it's cheaper but usually amazon. This week it's been a washing bin, spider catcher and shot glasses. :D (They are all things we needed for the house. Well, I'm skeptical about the spider catcher)
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use it to buy almost anything.
    Things I've bought from Amazon mainly include books, DVDs and games, but I've also bought calculators, molecular model kits, and a bag of copper sulphate before as well as various random nick-naks for Christmas presents.

WOOOOO a bag of copper sulphate !!! that needs to be explained you cannot just drop that into a list of things you buy as if it is normal !!! explain yourself young man
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    My housemate basically buys everything she needs on Amazon. Or elsewhere online if it's cheaper but usually amazon. This week it's been a washing bin, spider catcher and shot glasses. :D (They are all things we needed for the house. Well, I'm skeptical about the spider catcher)

Spider Catcher and shot glasses sounds like you are doubling up on the same problem area unless you have very big spiders in the house. Also what is a washing bin ??? Did you mean a washing basket erm will i suppose you have bread bins but i never heard of a washing bin before.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spider Catcher and shot glasses sounds like you are doubling up on the same problem area unless you have very big spiders in the house. Also what is a washing bin ??? Did you mean a washing basket erm will i suppose you have bread bins but i never heard of a washing bin before.

Oh yeah, we have had several HUGE spiders over the last few days. I don't mind them so I catch them but she wants a spider catcher for if I am not home :D

A washing/laundry bin is what we call the thing you collect your dirty clothes in before you wash them? Yeah same as washing basket. Maybe bin is a local term for it?! :blush:
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Dvd's...maybe 2 a month, sometimes more, sometimes less.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Everything.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I order 7-800 items a year from Amazon.
    Welders, compressors, power tools, multimeters, handtools
    All my clothing, shoes, binoculars
    Powdered milk, tissues, soap, chairs
    Cameras, radios, phones, watches, many torches
    Electronic components, bed linen, several vacs
    Lockpicks (hobby), knives, glasses, stationary, air dusters

I buy tons of toys for work - I can buy toys sourced abroad via Amazon at half the price I can get them from large UK wholesalers.

I also buy from Amazon US - I would buy more but there's lots of stuff they won't ship.

Life would be difficult without Amazon - by looking hard you can find very obscure items at Amazon - I needed a 110volt laminated solenoid to repair a machine at work Amazon had it but it doesn't come up in a simple search you have to dig around in the 'shop fronts' .

In many thousands of orders they've only let me down once - I ordered a meter from a Hongkong supplier which never arrived and they have not done anything about it - all other 'errors' have been dealt with very well.

Some deals have been incredible - I bought 180 high intensity coloured LEDs shipped from the Far East for less than £5.
    Amazon imported Hydraulic and pneumatic valves are great value at around £8 compared to £50-100 in the UK - I pay £14 for a repair kit for a UK valve.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I don't use it as much as I used to since being in France (and, surprise, surprise, Amazon France is a rip-off compared with what you pay in the UK). I did order something from the UK Amazon earlier though, a book from the 'new and used' section.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    TBH, I still use eBay for buying most of my "tat" but experience has taught me to never, never, ever, buy games or DVDs from eBay (I swear, I have been ripped-off every f**king time I've attempted it) so I always buy DVDs and games for my PC, Wii and PSP from Amazon.
  • 123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I am more of an eBay type of guy myself although I don't do the bidding thing.

I buy carrier bags from Amazon once a year.
    Next thing on my amazon list is a pedal washing machine.

Literally only 1 or 2 items per year though,
    I find eBay much more reasonable.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the sheer range of items you can now buy of Amazon. For example, yesterday I ordered bubble wrap. On another day I can order socks, another day pyjamas and maybe a book or an appliance another day. Nowadays there are marketplace sellers who sell surplus goods.

I live in a rural community. It's very difficult to be able to get many of the items I get off Amazon locally without having to travel some distance. As I don't drive this can prove limiting in what can be be transported back from the shops, costly in bus fare and time. It's just so much easier to get stuff from Amazon, and get it delivered.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a multimeter, and a replacement heating element for my washing machine. I also bought replacement bulbs for the extractor fan in my kitchen.

All items were far more expensive on the high street (I couldn't even source the heating element from anywhere on the high street - although they could order it ... which I did myself)
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh i bought 2 belkin ones in the pound shop today !!!

I don't have a proper pound shop anywhere near me so it would cost me more in fuel to go and get one than it has to buy it from Amazon :D
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    A washing/laundry bin is what we call the thing you collect your dirty clothes in before you wash them? Yeah same as washing basket. Maybe bin is a local term for it?! :blush:

I've always just called it "the bin". It can be a bit confusing if I actually want to throw old clothes away however... :D
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very recently I bought an adapter for my spare camera tripod so that I could attach a flash unit to it.