Options

People Like Us (Series 2) BBC3 - from 29.10.2014

renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wednesdays @ 9pm

Programme details

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04n9mwb

Surprisingly, I couldn't find I thread for S2 (unless I'm not looking properly!)

Just caught up with this on catch-up and I'll definitely keep watching.

Isn't Chelmsley Wood a bit like Falcon Lodge or Castle Vale?

Some spoilers below:-

* I can't believe that the body-builder Mo is 60! He only looks in his 30's or 40's.

* As for the two sisters?! I'd rather not say anything.

* It was hilarious watching Antonio and his pal trying to nab the bin-bag thief!

* Finally, I do have a bit of a soft spot for single mum, Sade. :blush:

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh!

I thought it was the one with "Roy Mallard," I was surprised when I read the title, for obvious reasons. But obviously it's not.

I really liked that series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtRUrEaRA0
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads-up to say that Episode 2 is on tonight @ 9pm (BBC3).
  • Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Jade thinks she is going to be a Lawyer, she must either have hidden talents or be sadly deluded. :D
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    buttsfife wrote: »
    If Jade thinks she is going to be a Lawyer, she must either have hidden talents or be sadly deluded. :D
    Hate to say it but it's almost as if BBC3 is actually making fun of these people. Whilst their hopes and aspirations do appear to be deluded fantasies it seems wrong to hold them up to ridicule in this way.
  • Options
    Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched episodes 1 to 3 on catch up last night, to be fair I get cheesed off that people sat in benefits and enjoying it get featured in so many TV programs now - why are there no programs following the lives and laughs of those that work for a living and enjoy the rewards of earning a living?

I do worry that TV in this country is turning benefit scrounging in to some thing to be hero worshipped for! Look at her from Benefits Street! No way should the likes of her be classed as celebrity and on celeb Big Brother!

Anyway in analysis of the program here are my thoughts:

Mo - Like him, inspirational to look so good for his age, he works, he is entrepreneurial, great bloke to see in a program like this.

The Sisters - Well what can one say about two girls that just sit at home eating themselves to morbid obesity while being single mums - who the hell wanted to impregnate the the massive one is beyond me! I have no time for lazy people like that who are sat sunbathing and eating full blocks of cheese on a burger when normal folk are out working for a living! The blocks of cheese were beyond a joke, you can't expect to not end up looking disgustingly overweight with those sort of eating habits - not a good example for the kids either! There are people that work who are on a low income and going to food banks yet these fat scavengers have enough benefits to binge eat!

Antonio - Nice lad but like a lot of younger people brought up in rough areas nowadays, he hasn't been encouraged to be very bright and why the hell him and his girlfriend felt it was a great time to being a kid in to the world is beyond me when he is hiding from the police and seemingly not working for a living, choosing instead to hang around with his stoned mate Stiggy.

The young couple with the stoma Baby - frustrating because they seem good parents,she seems to have her head screwed on yet they have 4 kids now that the tax payer seems to be paying for! I hate people that moan bitterly about their overcrowded living conditions - she knew she didn't have a family home for 4 kids when she kept popping them all out one after the other.

Sade - Yet again you question why a young person pops two kids out before building a life for themselves! She sits on benefits and whines about wanting her kids to have stuff- she should have built a financial standing before opening her legs in the first place! I was liking how she seemed to determined to make something of herself, however when she finally had an opportunity she reverted back to her lazy dole scrounging ways and couldn't be bothered to turn up for exams and couldn't reschedule because she is oh so busy!

The problem I think nowadays is that too many young adults come out of school and straight on to the dole, they never learn about routine, about having to be places at certain times, having to work certain hours, having to get up in a morning to be somewhere - they never learn it and then struggle to handle the thought of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I think BBC3 have been a bit of a mick take with this series. They really paint people in a certain way and look to make fun of particular characters.

Just watched Episode 3 which was actually quite refreshing and involved the people mentioned actually trying to find a way in life. The gardening initiative was a good idea, and that they actively try and recruit people

As for last week....
    The sisters were bloody awful. The language they used around their children was absolutely shocking. Is it any surprise they have weight issues when they don't appear to partake in any physical activity and proceed to layer their burgers (?!) in slabs of cheese worthy of a week's ration.
    Sade? She reminds me of when Bugs Bunny dresses up with a woman with those eyelashes :D it was no big surprise when she failed to turn up to the career's exam. Which is a shame as they were obv willing to give her a chance and she blew it.
    I do like Mo, and can't believe he is 60! He looks like he works hard for what he has and he deserves a bit of happiness.
    Antonio seems like he's trying to rebuild his character a bit. I did have to laugh at the bin bag thief! He does seem overly paranoid about the police but with his colourful past I suppose it's always in the back of your mind.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    The problem I think nowadays is that too many young adults come out of school and straight on to the dole, they never learn about routine, about having to be places at certain times, having to work certain hours, having to get up in a morning to be somewhere - they never learn it and then struggle to handle the thought of it.

No, you'll find that the problem is that too many young adults come out of school to find there aren't any jobs.
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh!

I thought it was the one with "Roy Mallard," I was surprised when I read the title, for obvious reasons. But obviously it's not.

I really liked that series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtRUrEaRA0
    Not wanting to get off topic, but same here.

That video was a brilliant satire of the banking/mortgage system and why it all came crashing down, made (I believe) before it actually happened.