Christmas 1984

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just realised today that this year marks the 30th anniversary of my favourite Christmas of all time, 1984. I was six years old and it has kind of become the template of a perfect Christmas in my memory. It is the one which cannot be surpassed mainly because of my age at the time, and the excitement of that year.

I got every present I wanted, including a Care Bear ( I know, I know):D also I was in the school nativity playing an in-keeper. The TV that year was great, the TV premiere of One of our 'Dinosaurs is Missing' on Christmas Eve, and 'Mary Poppins' on Christmas Day. Also the series 'The Box of Delights' was must see for me. Add to that the first Band Aid, and Wham's 'Last Christmas' and it all made quite a memorable Christmas. What are other people's recollections of Christmas 30 years ago? was it a good one for you too?

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad died that August or September, so it probably wasn't actually AWESOME, but I do remember liking The Box Of Delights a lot. Watched it again a couple of years ago and it was still good nostalgic fun.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    My dad died that August or September, so it probably wasn't actually AWESOME, but I do remember liking The Box Of Delights a lot. Watched it again a couple of years ago and it was still good nostalgic fun.

Just the opening jingling notes of the theme tune takes me back when I hear it aaaghh!:)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I was veh veh drunk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it christmas 1984 when frankie goes to hollywood realeased the power of love?
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our senior school 'Christmas' play was Orwell's 1984, rather bleak.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that when Hilda left Corrie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Is that when Hilda left Corrie?

That was 1987 :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh...,
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Wasn't it christmas 1984 when frankie goes to hollywood realeased the power of love?

Yes it was, it was certainly a year for iconic Chrissy tunes.

My '1984' was 1977, brilliant Christmas, had some pretty classic toys that year from the Denys Fisher range and Action Man, it was also the first year I got Star Wars figures, a Luke Skywalkers Land speeder and X-Wing.

I was just 16 in 1984, so a year for records really, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw, Thompson Twins and Cyndi Lauper. Great Christmas for movies too...Gremlins!
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzNvZPH-RXI (shameless plug for my video) :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It certainly was. One of the best Christmas songs ever. i remember being enthralled by the video on TOTP, with the angels etc.
  • CarrieBradshawCarrieBradshaw Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I don't remember that Christmas even *slightly* as well as you & I'm the same age! :) The important q is which Care Bear you got :-p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly was. One of the best Christmas songs ever. i remember being enthralled by the video on TOTP, with the angels etc.

Best Christmas song ever? Yet Christmas is never mentioned in the song
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember that Christmas even *slightly* as well as you & I'm the same age! :) The important q is which Care Bear you got :-p

You don't remember ANYTHING? maybe my memories just very clear lol. The care Bear was the brown one with the love heart on its chest :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aaahh that's the genius of it!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe best Christmas music video ever? :D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At number 5.

This was number 1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent it laying on my back drinking, babbling absolute crap, being noisy and annoying to anyone who would come near me.

But hey, that's 2 year olds for ya.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there was a Christmas Episode of Only Fools and Horses, probably due to the death of Leonard Pearce.:(
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wham's 'Last Christmas'
    *groan*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is something haunting,hypnotic in that opening part

''iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Feels like fire
    I'm so in love with you
    Dreams are like angels
    They keep bad at bay-bad at bay
    Love is the light
    Scaring darkness away''-
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    My '1984' was 1977, brilliant Christmas

Mine was 1974, when I was not-quite six. Got some good games and goodies to eat, plus two great annuals, Pippin and Spiderman, the latter which I read and reread for about five years running. One of the games I got involved two people, one firing a ping-pong ball from a handheld plastic receptacle, while the other caught it within an identical receptacle before firing it back. .One receptacle was green, the other pink. Both were made out of horizontal and vertical strips of thick plastic in rows, making a grid, attached to a cylindrical handle with a spring-like firing device, Anyone else remember this or what it was called?
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Christmas 1984 wasn' the greatest for me.

I did pretty rubbish in my A levels that year and got nowhere near uni,whilst all my mates did and left home.

Instead of resitting them I lazed around alone feeling sorry for myself before starting a really really rubbish job as a (very) junior office clerk!

That Christmas I spent in various pubs listenening to my mates who had returned from various Unversties for the holidays telling me,and each other, none stop just how great student life was! I remember feeling really jealous and left out!

For some reason Paul McCartney's Frog Chorus sticks in my mind that Christmas.

What I didn't know then was that my best Christmas was still to come!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    I remember Christmas 1984 wasn' the greatest for me.

I did pretty rubbish in my A levels that year and got nowhere near uni,whilst all my mates did and left home.

Instead of resitting them I lazed around alone feeling sorry for myself before starting a really really rubbish job as a (very) junior office clerk!

That Christmas I spent in various pubs listenening to my mates who had returned from various Unversties for the holidays telling me,and each other, none stop just how great student life was! I remember feeling really jealous and left out!

For some reason Paul McCartney's Frog Chorus sticks in my mind that Christmas.

What I didn't know then was that my best Christmas was still to come!!

Ahhh, that's quite a sad, yet uplifting little tale :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm too young to recall this, but out of the two sitcoms shown Christmas Day which was the most popular, 'Hi-de-Hi' or 'Just Good friends' ?