Options

AV200 vs AV500 Powerline

steve1971uksteve1971uk Posts: 41
Forum Member
I have 100 meg Virgin broadband and get the full 100 to the main PC connected by ethernet to the Superhub 2.

I have an ethernet cable from one of the other Superhub 2 ports to a TP Link AV200 Powerline plugged into the power socket. In the other room at the end of the house is another paired AV200 Powerline plugged in on the same ringmain. Then ethernet cable from that one to my son's PC and he gets 60 meg on speedtest. Both Powerline adapters have 100mbps ethernet ports.

Thinking about changing to AV500 Powerline adapters at each end with either 100 or gigabit ports. Would I get much of a boost upto 100 meg, that I get on the main PC hardwired to the superhub 2?

Tried searching but could not find the answer to this question.

Is there anyone else out there with Virgin 100 meg internet and using AV500 Powerline adapters? If so are yours 100 or gigabit port versions and what internet download speed do you get?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you carefully check the exact spec of those powerline adaptors. Some of those which claim to be 200 or 500 Mbps only have 10/100 Mbps Ethernet ports on them so the advertised rate is impossible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply.

My superhub only gives out 100 meg so I know that is the maximum I can get.

Just wondered if changing from AV200 to AV500 would allow more than 60 meg through that I am getting via the AV200 versions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply.

Just wondered if changing from AV200 to AV500 would allow more than 60 meg through that I am getting via the AV200 versions?

If your hub is limited to 100 Mpbs then any benefit is going to be so marginal that you may not notice the difference.

I have just checked with my TP Link AV500 setup and I can only get 50-60 Mpbs download and that's with a Superhub 2 and Virgin's 152 Mbps service. When connected into the Superhub's Gigabit port I can get a consistent 150-155 Mbps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    If your hub is limited to 100 Mpbs then any benefit is going to be so marginal that you may not notice the difference.

I have just checked with my TP Link AV500 setup and I can only get 50-60 Mpbs download and that's with a Superhub 2 and Virgin's 152 Mbps service. When connected into the Superhub's Gigabit port I can get a consistent 150-155 Mbps.

Thanks for your reply. Out of interest, do your AV500s have 10/100 or gigabit ports on them?
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply.

The speeds of these devices are notoriously difficult to predict. And as another poster says, beware the specs/claims implied by the model names.

You could get the AV500s from a return-friendly supplier (e.g. Amazon) and test them to see if you get a worthwhile increase?
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Given the way in which Ethernet works you're unlikely to see all that much more than 60Mbit/s throughput even on a 100Mbit/s network, for general traffic. I think ~80Mbit/s is about the theoretical max.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. Out of interest, do your AV500s have 10/100 or gigabit ports on them?

This is the model I have:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B0084Y9N3O

I have a total of 3 around the house to cover Wifi blackspots and to be a more stable connection between my NAS and media player.

They only have 10/100 Mbps ethernet ports so how they can claim 500 Mbps is anyone's guess. However, hey are cheap and reliable but I didn't buy them expecting anywhere near the advertised rate.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    They (TP-Link) also do ones which offer "up to 1200Mb/s". Hmm.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=4044&model=TL-PA8010P+KIT#spec
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    To be clear - I don't have cable but have BT Infinity.

I originally had 200Mbps PLAs which gave a D/L speed of around 50Mbps (78 at the router), on the advice I received here I changed to Solwise 500Mbps units which give 76Mbps - so virtually full speed.