Options

I have Amazon (lovefilm) rental...is it worth signing up with Netflix?

Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am happy with my Amazon service.....but I'm guessing certain shows are only available via Netflix or have I got that wrong?

Comments

• Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am happy with my Amazon service.....but I'm guessing certain shows are only available via Netflix or have I got that wrong?

Yes that is correct, there is also content on Amazon that isn't available on Netflix. I subscribe to Netflix but am consideringin giving Amazon a try.
  • Options
    hugonhugon Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get a months free trial, so you have nothing to lose by signing up and seeing if there is anything you're interested in.
  • Options
    Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugon wrote: »
    You get a months free trial, so you have nothing to lose by signing up and seeing if there is anything you're interested in.

I will check it out
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

I do - There are things which are 'free' to watch on Netflix but you pay for on Amazon. I have not yet seen Marco Polo on Amazon but watched it for free on Netflix.

Season 2 of Black Sails has just started on Amazon, but is not on Netflix.

Having both means you get the bet choice.

Indeed I've got Sky Movies and Sport (through Virgin) and I am thinking of getting rid of both and relying on Amazon/Netflix
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have Netflix, Blinkbox and Amazon Prime Instant video. You know if a member of your family, or someone you know has Netflix, you can be a member on their account for free if they give you their password.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though there is some crossover, each service has its exclusives (especially the "originals") and I think that both are worth having.

Netflix gets you Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, etc.

Amazon's got Vikings (not its own show, but it has first-run rights), Black Sails, Transparent, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Both are available free for a limited time so it is pretty easy to try both.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both.

I use Netflix most but there are a fair few things that are only available on Amazon so both get a decent amount of use.
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I had both for a while. I used Amazon Instant two times in a year, and I used Netflix multiple times every day.

I'm not sure why, but I guess Netflix had things that I wanted to watch, and it's also a better website/app. Whenever there was something I wanted to watch that wasn't on Netflix, I'd check Amazon and it typically wouldn't be on that either (except for those two times). So ultimately I got rid of it.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    It used to be that Netflix was strong on TV and Lovefilm Instant as it was known, strong in movies. But both services are pretty similar now.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much once it ceased being Lovefilm Instant, I got rid. As already pointed out Lovefilm was great for movies while Netflix was particularly strong for TV and indie movies but now Lovefilm is Amazon Instant, it's become like a poor mans Netflix.

Luckily my brother pays the Netflix bill so if Amazon gets good again, maybe I'll have both again once more!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I think they are both worth having. I love Netflix and taken with Unblock-Us it is excellent value.
    There is some negativity here with regards Amazon but IMO Amazon is getting better and their range of good tv series not found on Netflix is growing. Their original series also look interesting. We are watching Ripper Street season 3 and I am bowled over by how good it is- gripping and the best of the three.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    Pretty much once it ceased being Lovefilm Instant, I got rid. As already pointed out Lovefilm was great for movies while Netflix was particularly strong for TV and indie movies but now Lovefilm is Amazon Instant, it's become like a poor mans Netflix.

Luckily my brother pays the Netflix bill so if Amazon gets good again, maybe I'll have both again once more!
    I just don't know how you can say that? The content for movies and TV has improved dramatically since it became Amazon prime. The layout for TV shows was also terrible under Lovefilm instant with episodes being listed separately. Also the streaming quality was awful in the early years.
    In my opinion the only thing that has got worse is the rent by post service. Personally I think Amazon have plans to scrap this service at some point.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't know how you can say that? The content for movies and TV has improved dramatically since it became Amazon prime. The layout for TV shows was also terrible under Lovefilm instant with episodes being listed separately. Also the streaming quality was awful in the early years.
    In my opinion the only thing that has got worse is the rent by post service. Personally I think Amazon have plans to scrap this service at some point.

I'm sure it's improved! I've not been a customer for about a year now but at the time, movies were the only reason I was still paying the direct debit. I watched some of the original pilots way back but none ever actually made it to air, I felt a little cheated because some were quite good!

I'm sure I'll reinvest eventually. When there is a show I want to see that isn't on Netflix or NowTV (which I get for free), I'll probably opt back in. :p
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Netflix about 4 times per week accessing it on my Virgin Tivo Box which is a bit sluggish accessing. It is much quicker accessing it on my Samsung Smart TV and Sony BDP-6200 Blu-Ray player. I tried Amazon Instant for a free month and didn't continue it because they were charging extra for certain films on top of the £6.99 I would have paid if I had kept it on. Netflix do not charge extra. Amazon is being a little greedy charging extra (usually around £2.99 mark). If they had not charged extra I might have kept it going after the free trial. Netflix is the slighter better value, although their content might not be as great as Amazon. Still, there is plenty of choice though.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I use Netflix about 4 times per week accessing it on my Virgin Tivo Box which is a bit sluggish accessing. It is much quicker accessing it on my Samsung Smart TV and Sony BDP-6200 Blu-Ray player. I tried Amazon Instant for a free month and didn't continue it because they were charging extra for certain films on top of the £6.99 I would have paid if I had kept it on. Netflix do not charge extra. Amazon is being a little greedy charging extra (usually around £2.99 mark). If they had not charged extra I might have kept it going after the free trial. Netflix is the slighter better value, although their content might not be as great as Amazon. Still, there is plenty of choice though.
    That is because Netflix don't offer newly released films. There is plenty of content included in the prime subscription but if you want to watch Gone Girl for example it wouldn't be available at all on Amazon if they didn't offer PPV titles.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having had both I prefer Netflix. Using an unblocker app opens up access to all content irrespective of country of origin and makes it very much worth the money.
    I jacked in my LoveFilm/Amazon Instant subscription as soon as we got Netflix and I haven't missed it, although I have it atm through a free Amazon Prime trial.