Options

Is it possible to copy DVD's onto an iPod?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I need to upgrade my 2nd Generation 4GB iPod Nano and I can't decide which one to buy next.

What could decide it for me is whether or not I can copy some DVD's onto it.

I really fancy the idea of copying two or three movie DVD's onto an iPod Touch.

Is this possible, if so how would I go about doing it ?

If it is possible, how much space can I expect an average movie to take up on the iPod? I'm seriously considering the new 8GB iPod Touch - but I've already got about 5GB of music planned for it. If, for instance, each movie took up 1GB I'd have to reconsider.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. It can be done!
    I use two bits of software for this... most likely there's a far easier way, but I like my system. :D

First I rip the bits of the DVD I want using 'MediaFork' (which might be called handbreak now). Most times the main movie, sometimes specific chapters (if I'm taking music vids off my directors label dvds, for example) This creates a large Quicktime file (changeable in settings I think).
    Then I use MPEG-Streamclip to compress and convert the file into an ipod sized MPEG-4 file.
    Then dragged into itunes. :)

A 100min movie is 635Mb using this method.

Like I said, this most likely isn't the best method. But it works for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    www.videohelp.com

Plenty guides on how to rip and encode for iPods on there.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    mac the ripper - rips carbon copy onto hdd.

drag drop vob files you want into mpeg streamclip and choose mpg 4 - theres an itune button.

i recently had an issue with the simpsons movie - took two days (using a ye ol powerbook g4) and was out of sync with poor video quality - blocks were appearing when moving images. The playback of vob files via mpg streamclip is also poor imo - so i may just export the film as a dv file - about 20gbs then use quicktime pro or isquint - i squint is very good - think its quicker than qtp and mpg streamclip
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Cucusoft, just google it, excellent piece of software and does the job all in one, just put your DVD in and away you go!
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVD43 + Handbreak should do the job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Or alternatively, just buy a media player that supports DivX and download anything you want to play on it (assuming you own the original in the first place of course).

Much easier.

You can download iPod compatible video files as well of course ..... theres just less of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still amazed the this is not built into itunes yet, I would have thought a lot of people would find it a usefull fuction, and might even get them to buy a 'video'ipod if they knew there was a very easy way of get dvd's on to thier ipod
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    I am still amazed the this is not built into itunes yet, I would have thought a lot of people would find it a usefull fuction, and might even get them to buy a 'video'ipod if they knew there was a very easy way of get dvd's on to thier ipod

But Apple decide to market the fact that movies and music videos can be purchased through the iTunes store.

I can't think why :rolleyes: (£/$) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    maxsys wrote: »
    Cucusoft, just google it, excellent piece of software and does the job all in one, just put your DVD in and away you go!

I downloaded this and it is only a free trial version which rips short clips only with 'trial' written accross the video. Is there a free full version of this anywhere?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miss_chaos wrote: »
    I downloaded this and it is only a free trial version which rips short clips only with 'trial' written accross the video. Is there a free full version of this anywhere?

I tried DVD43 and Handbreak (cheers, Gormond) which are both free. I've only been able so far to test them with a small 15 minute programme on an unencrypted DVD as the on my PC Handbreak estimated 3 hours to rip a movie, so I'm going to try one overnight tonight or tomorrow but the software looks very promising.

DVD43 runs in the background and removes the encryption from the DVD on-the-fly and Handbreak encodes the DVD data to a video file on the PC. There are lots of preset settings for different types of video file, including a bunch of settings for the iPod Touch.

Handbreak looks very complicated initially but there are easy-to-follow instructions in the help menu which explain the process.

If I may, I would like to mention that you should only use this software to create video files from legitimate DVD's that you own and when the video files are purely for personal use. I'm not condoning piracy - but what I do believe is that once you have paid for a CD, DVD, game, download, etc. you should be able to do what you want with that material, as long as it is purely for personal, maybe household use. Just thought I should say that as I don't want to get told off :)

My reason for trying out the software is that I'm buying an iPod Touch and I thought the "killer" application for it would be to put some of my DVD's on it. For example, "I Am Legend" which I have on DVD, and I don't want to have to pay Apple for a downloaded version especially when I can't afford it being on a very low income and I'm having to borrow money to buy the Touch.

Just to say, DVD43 and Handbreak appears to do the trick nicely and for free. I'll find out for sure hopefully on Monday when I get my hands on my new iPod Touch.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member

i guess when u can import a cd you should be able to import a dvd. but then again dvds have copy protection whereas cds dont, so its understandable that this isnt a feature of itunes 'abit dodgy'