Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A line that made me laugh:

Bev Baker had cut Lou Kelly's arm.

The next day Baker says to Frances "I had a little chat with Lou".

Frances says yeah, "I saw her arm". :D

It's just the way Frances deliveres the line, without a hint of irony or knowing. To her, a person being cut was a sign of communication.

Brilliant.

:DI liked Frances, an underrated character in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    i thought she was a vile character. Your example just there with bob is one of the many reasons i dislike her, She rarely ever seems to suffer or get punished for her bad behaviour as shes always in the 'goodie' group, thats apart from when she teams up with Lou of course. Her only possible redeeming feature might be the friendship with chookie which did bring out a nicer side at times and we saw her caring about and looking out for chook. Pepe trevor wasn't a bad actress and was capable of some excellent performances such as when lexie gives birth but the character is far too obnoxoius, in the show far too long and gets away with far too much imo.

rant over:p

Fair enough :), I still like her though, but she did seem to get away with more than a lot of others did, I did love her friendship with Julie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    yeah, although i do like the character of Bea (shes not my favourite character though) i am not so keen on Val.From what i have seen and heard of her, she does not come accross well at all!

Yeah, I was so upset. I had never heard the stories about Vile, so when I met her I was so excited, only to come away heartbroken by the way she behaved. Not a nice experience at all.

Luckily Judith McGrath was the nicest woman I could hope to meet when I met her later in the year. It made up for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A line that made me laugh:

Bev Baker had cut Lou Kelly's arm.

The next day Baker says to Frances "I had a little chat with Lou".

Frances says yeah, "I saw her arm". :D

It's just the way Frances deliveres the line, without a hint of irony or knowing. To her, a person being cut was a sign of communication.

Brilliant.

I love that scene, and all that era. Angel, Bev and then Ruth. All amazing.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was so upset. I had never heard the stories about Vile, so when I met her I was so excited, only to come away heartbroken by the way she behaved. Not a nice experience at all.
    Luckily Judith McGrath was the nicest woman I could hope to meet when I met her later in the year. It made up for it.
    when did you meet Val and what happened..and where did you meet Judith?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when did you meet Val and what happened..and where did you meet Judith?

Met Val through some Australian friends while I was staying there for a year, (I am guessing you are Robert 'I' aka SpikeyRoberto? We have spoken before, I just keep my head down these days) quite some time ago. Before the forum days on the official website came and went. I have been to a few of the events, I just don't see eye to eye with some of the people.

Judith was an accident and we met after she came off the set of All Saints after I was looking around. I toyed with not bugging her, but I did and she was lovely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I hate 70s / 80s hairdo's. Is it just me or did people's hair look different back then? It look's like pubic hair growing out of someone's head. It looks disgusting.

Well big fluffy high perms were in fashion in the early 1980s.

Andy Anderson actually has naturally curly hair and it is not a perm, but given the fashion they'd cut it that way and then the show's hairdressers would give it that extra 'fluff' before each take, I'd expect.

'Blonde' was very much 'in' in the 1980s too. So you'll notice that so many of the prisoners have very blond bleach jobs. Nora and then Rita started out with natural light brown/ash blond then suddenly went blonder during their run. Lou Kelly's colour changed a bit I presume due to the various highlights and peroxide touch-ups she endured. Alice's hair changed from tight springy curls to lank frizz and back as her portrayer regularly had her hair permed during her run.

Earlier in the series Margo went into isolation with a peroxide bleach feather cut. Months later Marie released her during a riot and she came out with a perm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I know why they put the human traits of selfishness and jealousy in but she uses them too much for my liking. Things went her way and you agreed or you were wrong. Very rarely a middle ground. Escaping was a mugs game but not for her, risks affected everyone, except when she was doing it. Debbie dying wasn't just your husbands fault...

All personal opinion obviously but I never liked her leadership style or her personality.

I also had the misfortune to spend some time with Val Lehman.

I still immensely enjoy the first 400 episodes but mainly love it when somebody gets the better of her.

I loved the character of Bea - as her faults were what created a lot of the drama and conflict. Though she was charismatic, I don't think the makers of the show really wanted audiences to 'like' her or 'agree' with her. Even Dor and Lizzie and especially Judy often disagreed with Bea - and those three were probably more the characters audiences were meant to 'like' and agree with.

Nora was probably the nicest top dog, and she's the one who is least popular with fans. For drama, the top dog has to be divisive, not 'nice'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DVDs are heating up now.....

Welcome Eve Wilder!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the character of Bea - as her faults were what created a lot of the drama and conflict. Though she was charismatic, I don't think the makers of the show really wanted audiences to 'like' her or 'agree' with her. Even Dor and Lizzie and especially Judy often disagreed with Bea - and those three were probably more the characters audiences were meant to 'like' and agree with.

Nora was probably the nicest top dog, and she's the one who is least popular with fans. For drama, the top dog has to be divisive, not 'nice'.

I am well aware of that. I just answered a question on why I don't like her. As in me, personally.

Rita and Myra did the same thing as Bea but with more humanity and often better results. IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't side with Joan often but how she held herself back from throwing Terri over that bridge....what a total cow.

And that Lexie, hurry up and escape
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't side with Joan often but how she held herself back from throwing Terri over that bridge....what a total cow.

And that Lexie, hurry up and escape

I always side with Joan :D

I've just watched the episodes when Lexie escapes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which characters do you think should have been in the series longer, I think

Randi Goodlove
    Brenda Hewitt
    David Bridges
    Gloria Payne
    Harry Bassinger
    Kath Deakin
    Eve Wilder

I would have liked to see all these last longer, there's probably others I haven't thought of yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Which characters do you think should have been in the series longer, I think

Randi Goodlove
    Brenda Hewitt
    David Bridges
    Gloria Payne
    Harry Bassinger
    Kath Deakin
    Eve Wilder

I would have liked to see all these last longer, there's probably others I haven't thought of yet.

For me:

Nolene Burke
    Bev Baker
    Kay White
    Edna Perason
    any of those "celebrity-reporter" inmates
    Sally Dempster (my personal quirky fave character)

they should appear more...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kath Deakin
    Frances Harvey
    Sally Dempster
    Zara Moonbeam
    Faye Quinn

And my personal one...Queenie Marshall...wow! She added a bit of humour and reminded me very much of Chrissie Latham meets Helen Smart. Thought she might become a recurring chaacter after reappearing with the teenage delinquents programme but no such luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Kath Deakin
    Frances Harvey
    Sally Dempster
    Zara Moonbeam
    Faye Quinn

And my personal one...Queenie Marshall...wow! She added a bit of humour and reminded me very much of Chrissie Latham meets Helen Smart. Thought she might become a recurring chaacter after reappearing with the teenage delinquents programme but no such luck.

Best thing about this forum is that there're always some other favourite characters that I've forgotten - e.g. Queenie Marshall! Thanks for reminding!

Queenie reminds me of a strutting peacock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me:

Nolene Burke
    Bev Baker
    Kay White
    Edna Perason
    any of those "celebrity-reporter" inmates
    Sally Dempster (my personal quirky fave character)

they should appear more...

Agree with some of them, especially Bev Baker. Speaking of reporters I really liked Sandra Hamilton.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angel Adams reminds me of the police station receptionist in Twin Peaks.
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :DI liked Frances, an underrated character in my opinion.

I think Frances has a scary face. Of all the prisoners in the series, I think Frances looks the scariest. Which makes her one of the most credible as a prisoner / heavy.

It looks like she'd be capable of anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Frances has a scary face. Of all the prisoners in the series, I think Frances looks the scariest. Which makes her one of the most credible as a prisoner / heavy.

Mary Adler....wouldn't mess with her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Adler....wouldn't mess with her

They both messed with Cass at the same time and ended up in Hospital:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It would be good if they had given Frances a proper exit but she was another one I think that just disappeared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing about this forum is that there're always some other favourite characters that I've forgotten - e.g. Queenie Marshall! Thanks for reminding!

Queenie reminds me of a strutting peacock.

:):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kath Deakin
    Frances Harvey
    Sally Dempster
    Zara Moonbeam
    Faye Quinn

I never really liked Queenie originally, but rewatching her episodes again recently I liked her a lot more, and she had a lot more potential as a character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They both messed with Cass at the same time and ended up in Hospital:D

Haha that's right, Frances seemed like a bit of a punch bag for Cass lol