Netflix

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have Microsoft Silverlight installed?

Yes, the date on it is May this year, I followed instructions about clearing cookies etc but I'm at a loss :)
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    There's a new Netflix search facility launching soon which will cover all Netflix regions and a couple of other streaming sites.
    It's called MoreFlicks
    They're also on Twitter @MoreFlicks
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenting wrote: »
    unblock-us and its variations turns netflix from a small lake into a huge ocean.

Absolutely. Heartily recommend unblock-us.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Heartily recommend unblock-us.

Seconded
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who is listed on Netflix in HD but it isnt, why say something is HD when its isnt.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Doctor Who is listed on Netflix in HD but it isnt, why say something is HD when its isnt.

It often depends on your current connection speed, if peak-time traffic means HD isn't possible it'll default to SD.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    I got Netflix last week. I still have the free trial for now but does the selection of films and TV shows get better once you start paying?
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I got Netflix last week. I still have the free trial for now but does the selection of films and TV shows get better once you start paying?

The selection of films and TV are the same, but what your actually shown in each category all depends on your ratings and preferences.
    Also, if you use a VPN service like unblock-us then you can get access to the other geo locked Netflix regions which will give you even more choice.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    The selection of films and TV are the same, but what your actually shown in each category all depends on your ratings and preferences.

Are you saying that it's impossible to see a full list of what's available? I've found the interface really frustrating and am never sure whether I'm seeing the whole library. Searching seems hit-and-miss too.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they change the choice of movies regularly or stay the same?. Ta
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Are you saying that it's impossible to see a full list of what's available? I've found the interface really frustrating and am never sure whether I'm seeing the whole library. Searching seems hit-and-miss too.

They use a recommendation algorithm which is determined by what you've watched,rated and your personal prefence settings.
    Moreflicks is a pretty good site to use for finding out what's on and in what region.
    http://www.moreflicks.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They use a recommendation algorithm which is determined by what you've watched,rated and your personal prefence settings.
    Moreflicks is a pretty good site to use for finding out what's on and in what region.
    http://www.moreflicks.com/

I'll look into Moreflicks. Surely most people don't bother with things like ratings and preferences, they just try to find films they want to watch and if they can't find them they assume they aren't available. You don't have to waste time with ratings and preferences to watch films at the cinema or buy DVDs, do you?
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I'll look into Moreflicks. Surely most people don't bother with things like ratings and preferences, they just try to find films they want to watch and if they can't find them they assume they aren't available. You don't have to waste time with ratings and preferences to watch films at the cinema or buy DVDs, do you?

It may not be perfect, but what would you rather have?
    A full list with pages and pages full of stuff that doesn't interest you at all or some selections of things that are more suited to you as its based on things you like rather than what everyone else might like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may not be perfect, but what would you rather have?
    A full list with pages and pages full of stuff that doesn't interest you at all or some selections of things that are more suited to you as its based on things you like rather than what everyone else might like.

The way it works now is frustrating. It's divided into genres, but the same films appear in several genres, giving the impression that they've only got a small number of films. Searching by title is OK with English language films but less straightforward for foreign-language ones, so there should at least be an option to list all films within the foreign-language genre, or by language. As far as I can see the search works by some kind of algorithm too, since it autocompletes with predictive answers and searching for a director's name doesn't always find the director even if they have films by him/her.

It really just needs to be more user-friendly and easier to navigate.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me how much unblock us costs per month please.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I just reactivated my account and am looking into that unblocking US thing. Does it work via mobile or only if you watch on the computer?
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me how much unblock us costs per month please.

$4.99 a month which is around £3.20ish depending on what the exchange rate is.
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    I just reactivated my account and am looking into that unblocking US thing. Does it work via mobile or only if you watch on the computer?

Works with any device that you can manually change the DNS on or directly via your router.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $4.99 a month which is around £3.20ish depending on what the exchange rate is.

Thanks, definitely worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Works with any device that you can manually change the DNS on or directly via your router.

I tried to do it on my iPhone last night but found it really hard to set up the US iTunes account thing. I followed all the instructions but it kept changing my region back to UK. :confused:
  • dizzydjcdizzydjc Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Is it likely Desperate Housewives will EVER be on the UK Netflix?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member

I've used the unblocking thing and now I *only* have access to US content. All the UK only stuff has gone :( Was this supposed to happen and if not, does anyone have any idea how to fix it?!
    Forum Member
    AmyF9 wrote: »
    I've used the unblocking thing and now I *only* have access to US content. All the UK only stuff has gone :( Was this supposed to happen and if not, does anyone have any idea how to fix it?!

As long as your using the DNS settings provided by Unblock-Us then you'll see a region selector on the main page.
    Just select which region you wish to use(US,Canada,Mexico,Brazil,UK,Ireland,Denmark,Sweden,Norway,Finland) then select Update.
    Log back into Netflix and you'll be on the region you selected.
    If your using different DNS settings then US Netflix may be all you can recieve unless you set your DNS on your device back to Auto then you'll see UK content.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is various videos on you tube showing you how to do this without that unblock thing..

I have us netflix on my ps3 and uk Netflix on my nexus.
    Forum Member
    Dombo wrote: »
    there is various videos on you tube showing you how to do this without that unblock thing..

I have us netflix on my ps3 and uk Netflix on my nexus.

Yeah there are, but the vast majority of free ones use unsecured servers and also why be limited to just the US when you can get access to so much more for as little as £3.20ish a month.
    Netflix Canada, Netflix Mexico & Netflix Sweden have some good recent movies that the US don't.