Making the products - impossibly quick!

2»

Comments

• Options
    BelligerentBossBelligerentBoss Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, that's different.

However, don't be surprised to see the 'Body-Rocka' out in the near future, as FremantleMedia Ltd took the unusual step of registering the domain name bodyrocka.co.uk back on 18th February 2009, something they have never done with past products!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think normally they don't buy the products for real; at least, they are not committed to. Last year they made a big deal of the ice-cream task because in that one, the new products were genuinely produced and sold to real customers, and the farms had to fullfill the orders.

However, if the candidates produce something good it'd be foolish not to exploit it. An episode of the US Apprentice produced a kind of desk caddy, which was sold for a while, although I can't now find a link to the web catalogue entry.

In this case it looked like the Body Rocker was good enough. However, they might consider polishing the design a bit first. I'm sure they could make it lighter and so more portable, for example. A production model could use different materials to the rapid-prototype model.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ Which is why Fremantle have also registered a trademark application for the 'Body-Rocka'.

Body-Rocka trademark application
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Which is why Fremantle have also registered a trademark application for the 'Body-Rocka'.

Body-Rocka trademark application

Good link. Going through them there is also stick stuck and swapbelt from the celebrity version. Something called kick off aswell just after the body-rocka, could this be something else to emerge from this series?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably just standard to protect themselves. I mean imagine if they featured a product and then someone else created it and made millions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi there, thought I’d chip in; I’m one of the directors of Designworks and thought you might appreciate some Apprentice info from the source, as it were. Since 2004 we have assisted contestants of the program in completing some of Sir Alan Sugar’s most challenging tasks. We’ve designed and constructed everything from toys to perfume bottles, sports equipment to structural packaging.
    The program throws us constant surprises but the core brief is always the same - the contestants arrive late in the afternoon and by the next morning we will have turned their ideas into concept boards and physical models. Everything you see was created within a twelve hour time limit be it the nine ‘Swap Belt’ characters we sculpted for Celebrity Apprentice or the fully functional Body-Rocka prototype.
    It should be noted that all the ‘products’ you see on screen are prototypes and not production items. In the case of the Body-Rocka it was created using CAD (Solidworks) and machined out of a block of polyurethane modelling board on one of our CNC milling machines, it was then finished by hand, sprayed with a 2 pac white paint and applied with zoat foam ‘comfort lozenges’ to its top surface. The Home Multi-Tone was tough because it involved two core mechanisms that would need way more than one evening to complete - so the ‘sample’ was created with these two elements non-functioning (the pulley system and the sprung sit up support).

Check us out, if you’re minded to: http://www.designworksgroup.net/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there, thought I’d chip in; I’m one of the directors of Designworks and thought you might appreciate some Apprentice info from the source, as it were. Since 2004 we have assisted contestants of the program in completing some of Sir Alan Sugar’s most challenging tasks. We’ve designed and constructed everything from toys to perfume bottles, sports equipment to structural packaging.
    The program throws us constant surprises but the core brief is always the same - the contestants arrive late in the afternoon and by the next morning we will have turned their ideas into concept boards and physical models. Everything you see was created within a twelve hour time limit be it the nine ‘Swap Belt’ characters we sculpted for Celebrity Apprentice or the fully functional Body-Rocka prototype.
    It should be noted that all the ‘products’ you see on screen are prototypes and not production items. In the case of the Body-Rocka it was created using CAD (Solidworks) and machined out of a block of polyurethane modelling board on one of our CNC milling machines, it was then finished by hand, sprayed with a 2 pac white paint and applied with zoat foam ‘comfort lozenges’ to its top surface. The Home Multi-Tone was tough because it involved two core mechanisms that would need way more than one evening to complete - so the ‘sample’ was created with these two elements non-functioning (the pulley system and the sprung sit up support).

Check us out, if you’re minded to: http://www.designworksgroup.net/

So glad you came on here to clear that up. How did you make sure that the ball form doesn't slip during use (or hopefully the apprentices were aware that that could be an issue when doing the demo, yes?)
    Nevertheless, i'm glad you posted what you did, as I imagine you needed some clearance to do it.
  • Options
    SomebodytoLoveSomebodytoLove Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for posting Designworker.:)