Ban The Apprentice

2»

Comments

• SlumdogSlumdog Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the joke thread will run forever..............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes, when something bad happens, they take something off the tv because it might upset people, like PTSD, where something might trigger a memory of an event, and cause distress. And nowadays, so many people are actually being fired. It does not have to be a close version of what happens in reality - it only has to have the association, for it to be bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you for real?
    Of course they are. The following shows will probably be re-titled:

• Coronation Street, in case the Queen gets worried it's a heavy hint to shift.
    • Top Gear, as drug addicts & dealers might think it's their own personal marketplace.
    • Only Fools And Horses, in case Princess Anne & Zara think someone's having a pop at them.
    • 8 Out of 10 Cats, as cats are very sensitive & the other two cats might get upset at being left ignored.
    • Come Dine With Me, out of fear that people think it's an open invite to turn up at the home of whoever's on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are others on the hit list. We are living in dangerously sensitive times. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    TBH most people are hearing the words 'you're being laid off or made redundant'. You're fired is very rarely used in the real world - anyone who is facing the sack generally goes through disciplinary procedures and the chair of these does not reach over and point their fingers at the soon to be former employee in a antagonistic fashion. Not in the world of public sector anyway!

Besides it's a great show and most of the contestants are such numpties!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's lost appeal with me. I don't give a stuff which one of them gets the job, they're all thoroughly arrogant and nasty people anway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Ban The Apprentice?

Over my dead body.

It's one of my favourite shows on telly.

Get a thicker skin :D

i agree :D
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny how a lot of the viewers of it (well ones I speak to) convince themselves the show is about something.

It's basically Big Brother for MBAs. Which is basically two vapid things combined into one.
  • Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you didn't even have the guts to post this in the apprentice forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X-Digit-Xx wrote: »

Yes, not showing enough of the chutzpah that'd get a job with Sir Alan.

I should go on it actually and ask him where my essays from uni are that I trusted his shitty word processor to keep safe for me.
  • Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    X-Digit-Xx wrote: »

I might know the words to Candle in the Wind but it doesn't make me Elton John
    :cool:
  • Burning BallsBurning Balls Posts: 4,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    It's funny how a lot of the viewers of it (well ones I speak to) convince themselves the show is about something.

It's basically Big Brother for MBAs. Which is basically two vapid things combined into one.

There is no comparison at all.

The Apprentice uses a lot of skills that have an important place in the real world.

Leadership, accounting (costing mostly), product/service marketing, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    People taking this thread seriously :*)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no comparison at all.

The Apprentice uses a lot of skills that have an important place in the real world.

Leadership, accounting (costing mostly), product/service marketing, etc.

Marketing and leadership are two of the the worst neoliberal myths out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marketing and leadership are two of the the worst neoliberal myths out there.

LOL. :D

I'm assuming that you're joking... but what's wrong with leadership?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. :D

I'm assuming that you're joking... but what's wrong with leadership?

In the context of business/mangement-speak it is the antithesis of what it should be. It's about creating a homogenised manager who attends the right courses, says the right things, and knows which stats to collect.

Leadership is what Napoloen did, not what Alan Sugar does.
  • captncoolcaptncool Posts: 3,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one word sugar m lad
    amstrad .
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it once but the people on it are the types I spend my life trying to avoid so wasn't keen to see it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the context of business/mangement-speak it is the antithesis of what it should be. It's about creating a homogenised manager who attends the right courses, says the right things, and knows which stats to collect.

Leadership is what Napoloen did, not what Alan Sugar does.

Well sure, there are a lot of bad managers out there.

However there are some truly great ones as well.

I read a great article called "Level 5 Leadership" (Collins, 2001) which was a real eye-opener.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I'd do that for £100k a year tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    This programme provides a very important service 'Care in the Community'

I'll be impressed when the winner finds out that the apprentice job is repackaging all the video phone returns in the Amstrad warehouse.

Roger Mellie's various pastiches of the show in Viz were spot-on.

Pick the blonde.
  • Chairman MeowChairman Meow Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    It's so insensitive and is bound to upset so many people nowadays when Sir Alan Sugar says, "You're fired", when a lot of people are really being sacked in the recession - so it should be banned out of sensitivity.

You read The Daily Mail, don't you?
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I find this thread, insulting to my intelligence, boring, and a joke. You've posted a topic with no evidence to back up your claim, no decent source material and made yourself look really silly.

It's on this basis I'm happy to say: "You're Fired!"

:D

PS normally people are laid off or made redundant in a Recession, not sacked. ;)
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should ban live football from the telly because I'm currently injured and can't play not to mention the hundreds of people whose careers have been cut short through injury. How insensitive!
  • EsqualitaEsqualita Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway-the credit crunch would make people REDUNDANT not FIRED.
    And Suralan doesn't say "You're redundant". So I don't see any kind of a problem at all.

Mind you- he can't really fire them either-as they are not yet employed by him...

Maybe "You're crap- bog off" would be better.