How do I remove stubborn limescale from the toilet bowl?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had a new one installed in 2012, yet just 4 years later there is persistent limescale all over it. I've used the usual cleaners which apparently remove limescale, but there it still is, and is in fact increasing. One of the problems is that anything you put on it, won't stay put, as being a toilet bowl it just slips downwards.

Anybody got any good tips as to how to remove it?

TIA :)

Comments

• MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flush the toilet with a "posser" (rubber plunger) to get the water level down as far as possible.
    Apply suitable (acidic) cleaning agent. I've heard various products recommended, such as vinegar, lemon juice and Coca Cola but there must be proprietary products that you can buy.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck a couple of litres of white vinegar down the pan before you go to bed and the limescale will come off with a quick scrub of the bog brush in the morning. I do mine regularly as we live in a hard water area. No toilet cleaner ever worked, nor bleach so I bought white vinegar from Amazon in a big 5ltr bottle, works a treat. My toilet is nearly 15yrs old, looks brand new.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the Viakal fizz that does the bizz.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Whatever you do, don't get a screwdriver and start scratching at the limescale. You'll only end up scratching your bowl.
  • flashfictionflashfiction Posts: 10,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flush the toilet with a "posser" (rubber plunger) to get the water level down as far as possible.
    Apply suitable (acidic) cleaning agent. I've heard various products recommended, such as vinegar, lemon juice and Coca Cola but there must be proprietary products that you can buy.

Martin, maybe daft question, how do you do this BIB with the plunger? I have heard vinegar soaking works so I want to try it too.

( I can't use Viakal etc as we are not on mains water or sewage here and we also get lots of peat discolouration despite filtration. Vinegar must be best for septic systems.)
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I had a new one installed in 2012, yet just 4 years later there is persistent limescale all over it. I've used the usual cleaners which apparently remove limescale, but there it still is, and is in fact increasing. One of the problems is that anything you put on it, won't stay put, as being a toilet bowl it just slips downwards.

TIA :)
    Hi Blue,

I have written on this subject before, I wish my bleedin' search function worked it would save a lot of typing.

Get yourself down to your general hardware store and purchase a bottle of " Spirit of Salts".

This stuff will shift anything including your lungs.

No pets, no kids around, open bathroom window, follow instructions on bottle.

I'm use to using the stuff so can be a bit blasé with it.

Hold your breath, gently pour it around rim and in to pan, no need to empty pan, get the f*ck out, give it ten minutes. With Gloves on, go back in, grab a toilet brush, hold your breath and start using brush under and around rim and in the pan.

Repeat the process 20minutes later, leave for a couple of hours, let it do its job

You have to be quick, vigorous and thorough with the brush and able to hold your breath for a minute, avoid splashes on to you.

Lastly using brush, clean around rim and pan before flushing several times, hopefully you will be amazed, it's not often I have to use a second bottle.

Blue, it's nasty stuff, be careful, works a treat.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the responses guys. Sound like some really great ideas there
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Domestos Zero Limescale works a treat.

And to remove the water from the bowl, get a large bin bag, put in bowl, fill bag with water, as it expands it pushes the bowl water round the u-bend, lift out bin bag and empty water in sink (NOT in the loo, obviously).
  • Brian The DogBrian The Dog Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    Toilet duck works wonders on limescale - Nothing more usual is needed.
    If it's very think then you just need more of it left longer.

Bleach on the other hand kills germs but does nothing to limescale.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it a good idea to remove the water from the bowl ?..........doesn't all the foul air from the sewers come up ?.......:o
  • Hut275658Hut275658 Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to remove the water from the bowl ?..........doesn't all the foul air from the sewers come up ?.......:o

Don't remove the water below the china seal (the bit at the back of water level). then smells, Sewer gas won't escape. Then add Electric Kettle descaler at twice the recommended dose, leave overnight, does the job everytime. (Retired Plumber):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut275658 wrote: »
    Don't remove the water below the china seal (the bit at the back of water level). then smells, Sewer gas won't escape. Then add Electric Kettle descaler at twice the recommended dose, leave overnight, does the job everytime. (Retired Plumber):)

Thanks for the heads up :cool:
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    It's the Viakal fizz that does the bizz.

Yes good stuff, and a lovely smell.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I use white/clear vinegar (Tesco call it distilled and sell it very cheaply).

Where I live the water isn't as hard as in some places and I only really get limescale on the water line in the toilet bowl. But then again I do the following a couple of times a year (maybe as many as 4 - I don't count) . So limescale doesn't get to build up.

I flush the loo. Then scoop out some of the water from tha pan to expose the water line. I use a paper cup to scoop out about 3/4s of the water.

I then soak two absorbant cloths in the vinegar. I use a couple of strips torn from an old towel. I then twist these loosely into two sausages and sort of lay/stick them around the toilet bowl, over the lime scale. Once in place I wet them with a bit more vinegar, this helps them stay in place it seems.

Then I just leave them for as long as I can. Easy if you have a second loo. Not so easy if you don't. :) I tend to do this when I am about to go away for a day or two, or at least if I am out all day.

When I get back I remove the towels. Give it a brisk brush with the loo brush and flush the loo to refill it. Voila. It works like a charm.
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use limescale remover and bleach. I use limescale remover once a month for my bath, toilet and kitchen sink, best stuff ever, wear gloves though, then I just use bleach spray for the toilet when I need to.

But why did you wait for your toilet to get that bad? if you had cleaned your toilet often it would be clean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use limescale remover and bleach. I use limescale remover once a month for my bath, toilet and kitchen sink, best stuff ever, wear gloves though, then I just use bleach spray for the toilet when I need to.

But why did you wait for your toilet to get that bad? if you had cleaned your toilet often it would be clean.

Cleaning the toilet normally and frequently has not prevented the build up of limescale, which clearly needs a different sort of application.

I did mention this in my OP.
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a tube of sterident , put three in the loo overnight and it should be gone by the morning.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kilrock is a very good lime scale remover.

I have used it with great success.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »

I use normal liquid Kilrock for my kettle but I expect it's too runny for the toilet bowl..........you need something that sticks to the sides !

Viakala or Harpic are just the job, they're quite sticky......... or Kilrock do a 'Bathroom Spray Gel Descaler' which is pretty good and being a spray you get it into the awkward places that you can't see....like under the rim of the toilet bowl
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »

Hi, I agree,

Kilrock, ( spirit of salts ), will shift it for Blue, just has to be careful with the stuff.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not sure if that is a good idea, I was told not to mix bleach with any other cleaners as some can produce a dangerous gas when mixed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From all the great suggestions above, I tried Viakal, which has proved very effective. All limescale now gone.

Thanks again folks :)
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried Viakal, which has proved very effective. All limescale now gone.

Yes! Hugh wins again!

;-):D
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member

Lidl's W5 Max Power toilet cleaner, overnight. 69p for a bottle. The end.