Does autocorrection and predictive text annoy you terribly?

Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,926
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't believe the weirdest words that form when you type in a perfectly normal word and it autocorrects to something stupid. This happens a lot on Ipad especially on facebook. It also annoys me when a full stop is inserted if you accidentally double space.

Only now I typed. Accidentally and when I'd got as far as Accidental it auto corrected to Accident lay by. Its crazy.

Another thing is when you see misspelled word with a redline under it, you click on the word and above is the correct spelling but just as you press it in millisecond it changes to paste and you end up inserting a body of text you copied a week ago or a website address you copied.

Seriously you need to check over carefully as you do not know what embarrassing words have been inserted.

Tbh autocorrection is more trouble than its worth.

Any other weird words you can share?

Comments

• Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It doesn't annoy me because you can turn it off.

My shit typing annoys me more tbh.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No because I don't use it, and it can sometimes offer up hilarious results. There's a brilliant autocorrection in a Mumsnet Classics thread, it still makes me laugh thinking about it.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me laugh.

My father used to send me texts from holiday that he was watching the sunset sipping wine and it would change to watching the sunset ripping wind :D:D:o
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it annoys me. Mine is turned off on my tablet, though it seems to reset itself from time to time.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, autocorrect is my worst enema
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    It's great when I'm pissed, annoys me otherwise.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I does on my iPhone 6 plus and my iPad the alternatives it provides at times are ridiculous.
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate google's (among others) predictive inputs when typing it into the search, to the point that I often will type what I want in the adress bar than c/p it into the box.

I really don't know why either. Maybe I don't like it trying to help me? Maybe I don't want to know if people have searched for it before?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This.is.What.I.hate.about.my.kindle
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    I really hate google's (among others) predictive inputs when typing it into the search, to the point that I often will type what I want in the adress bar than c/p it into the box.

I really don't know why either. Maybe I don't like it trying to help me? Maybe I don't want to know if people have searched for it before?

Don't you get a little excited though when it doesn't have an option so you're the first person to look for that :D or maybe it's just me 😳
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does annoy me it always changes that to thay for some reason. It seems to be playing up just now and changing a lot of my words but I won't turn it off as my typing would probably be even worse with out it.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does vary from device to device.
    I use the iPad a lot, and it's not perfect, but I have seen people's kindles do a lot worse.
    My phones text auto correct is different again, and different to my last phone.
    The PC auto correct is different again.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fine as long as it's a suggestion that you can ignore. I used to own a Nokia and it inserted its suggestion and expected you to correct it. The Android system is much better as it offers you three choices and it's up to you whether you select one or just do your own typing.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    This.is.What.I.hate.about.my.kindle

It's easy to turn it off on a kindle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Autocorrect ducks me off
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i dont use it now. on my ipad it does capitalisation spelling and other stuff but its too much of a control freak and i switched it off.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    It's easy to turn it off on a kindle.

The autocorrect isn't the problem it's the fact I always hit full stop instead of space.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me more when it doesn't even recognise whatever word I've misspelled and doesn't offer a sugestion. Sometimes I even take it personally, I'm not that bad of a speller ffs.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,510
    Forum Member
    I can't believe the weirdest words that form when you type in a perfectly normal word and it autocorrects to something stupid. This happens a lot on Ipad especially on facebook. It also annoys me when a full stop is inserted if you accidentally double space.

Only now I typed. Accidentally and when I'd got as far as Accidental it auto corrected to Accident lay by. Its crazy.

Another thing is when you see misspelled word with a redline under it, you click on the word and above is the correct spelling but just as you press it in millisecond it changes to paste and you end up inserting a body of text you copied a week ago or a website address you copied.

Seriously you need to check over carefully as you do not know what embarrassing words have been inserted.

Tbh autocorrection is more trouble than its worth.

Any other weird words you can share?

Yes, it is very annoying... when other people use it and can't be arsed to read what they just posted to correct their nonsensical autocorrected words. I see several examples of this here on DS every day, grrr.

But I never use it, never use autocomplete, never use spelling checkers and never will use any of them. They may save the writer save time, but this is at the expense of the reader, who has to spend time working out what they hell they are on about. More trouble than they are worth.

Ban them I say!
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend and she's a slapdash speller as well as a user of text shortcuts. She doesn't use full stops or capital letters either ! It takes me a couple of reads through each message to realise what she's saying. I might suggest to her that auto correction would be a good idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Sometimes.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    its blooms Notting but AI hat autocorrelate ta so cupids and it completest changes the way i typos thing out.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Occasionally. Usually immediately after I sent it.

For example, I didn't notice until I sent it that the phone auto-corrected Mr Shaw as Mr Shawarma. Didn't help that this was in a note of condolence as Mr Shaw had passed away. :/
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    One of my phones is a Microsoft Lumia and the predictive text on it is freakishly good. My other phone is an Android and the predictive text on that is rubbish. I never used the T9 text on the old feature phones as I found it quicker to just write everything myself.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does autocorrection and predictive text annoy you terribly?
    "That's why I kill"