Options

BBC Iplayer HD

mmh21mmh21 Posts: 251
Forum Member
Hey, this is my first real post so sorry if its in the wrong place/common knowledge etc etc and mods please feel free to move thread to a more appropriate area

Anyway, Im not good with computer issues at all!! so wondered if anyone could help me.

I have an acer laptop with windows 7 and mostly use safari or IE8 (or now 9). And i have been lead to believe my laptop (bought last year) is HD compatilbe (seems to work fine on youtube too).

However when i watch iplayer HD programs i get the first 2-5 mins ok, but then it gets choppy and unwatchable. Ive dont the internet connection tests on the site which say my internet is fast enough for HD.

I looked on the sites problem page and the most i could find was something to do with Adobe, Flash player and encoding. But its all too technical for me to understand.

Im petty sure i have the latest Adobe and FLash player programs, just wondered if anyone could shed some light in simple terms!?
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmh21 wrote: »
    Im petty sure i have the latest Adobe and FLash player programs, just wondered if anyone could shed some light in simple terms!?
    Thank you
    Check your version of Flash, a new version was released two days ago. Also go to Control Panel from Start Menu, click Hardware and Sound, click Device Manager, click Display adapters- tell me what is says you have (it'll be ATi, NVidia or Intel something).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have checked the flash player and yea its the most up to date version.

that adapter thing you asked for says - AMD M880G with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4200

Hope that tells you something because i have literally no idea what that means :o
    X
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have checked the flash player and yea its the most up to date version.

that adapter thing you asked for says - AMD M880G with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4200
    The HD 4200 should be DXVA compatible (meaning it should be able to use the graphics chip to show HD nor the CPU), can you tell me what graphics driver you are using, i.e. the ATi Catalyst version or what is listed under the properties of the HD 4200?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sorry for being a bit computer thick again and saying... how do i check that?

Assuming you mean right click and click properties on the adapter thing that your instructions bought up then it says quite a few things in different tabs, have looked at them but cant find anything about graphics or an ATi catalyst.

Sorry to be a pain, dont suppose you can give me a step by step on how to get the info you need?

Thanks for all the help so far!!!
    Xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry for being a bit computer thick again and saying... how do i check that?

Assuming you mean right click and click properties on the adapter thing that your instructions bought up then it says quite a few things in different tabs, have looked at them but cant find anything about graphics or an ATi catalyst.

Sorry to be a pain, dont suppose you can give me a step by step on how to get the info you need?

Thanks for all the help so far!!!
    Xx
    OK:D... go to Control Panel from Start Menu, click Hardware and Sound, click Device Manager, click Display adapters, right click Radeon HD 4200, click Properties, click Driver tab, and note down the Driver version number. Also if you go into your Programs, there should be ATi Catalyst Control Center, if you open that and go to Information Center> Graphics Software it should tell you what Catalyst Version it is (probably 9 or 10.something). Can you also go to Windows Update in your Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update, click Check for Updates, tell me what if any Optional Updates are listed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok... the driver version number is 8.632.0.0

the catalyst driver packaging version is 8.632-090702a-084363C

and it says 1 important update is available and 2 optional ones. the important one is Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7x64-based systems (KB982670)

and the optional ones are Atheros Communications Inc. - Network - Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network adapter
    and
    update for windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976422)

i hope any of that meant something to you because i have literally NO idea!!! Whether or not its art of the problem, should i install any of those updates?
    thanks again
    Xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok... the driver version number is 8.632.0.0
    Xx
    OK forget about the Windows updates for the moment, your graphics driver is quite a bit out of date, download the update here, click download next to full software suite, save the file to your desktop, then close your browser. Double click the file which will have a red ATi logo, follow the instructions, you'll probably have to reboot, fingers crossed you should then have hardware acceleration on iplayer:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just writing to say...
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH YOUR A HERO!!!!!!!
    it worked :):):)
    so yea, thank you :) haha

and one last question... is it worth stalling those other updates that came up?
    thank youuuuuuuuu
    Xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it worked

and one last question... is it worth stalling those other updates that came up?
    Glad it worked for you:cool:. I think the NET Framework update is probably only recommended rather than important, but some software may need it in the future, the Windows x64 update is for SD cards (i.e. like you have in cameras) larger than 32GB, bear in mind 64GB cards are currently £180 minimum so it might be a while before they are in common use:D. Regarding the wireless card driver, I would tend to err on if it ain't broke don't fix:), also Windows can also be a bit inaccurate on drivers- often I install latest versions and it will tell me an older version is newer:rolleyes:. However, it could fix security flaws, so I might just bite the bullet on that, but make sure you have all your wireless SSID and passwords/codes to hand in case you need to reset up, although you almost certainly won't.