Options

An unpopular forum member

ML11ML11 Posts: 888
Forum Member
✭✭
The internet, a place where you can chat or have discussions with people of all walks of life on forums like Digital Spy.

Since I've come on here, I do post and I wonder if I come across well in other members eyes when they read my posts whether my posts are serious or not, some are wind-ups to be honest. But however, I have posted a number of times on the Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4 thread on the TV shows forum which seems to have a closed group of regular posters and anything constructive I post is totally ignored.

So, do you judge others by what they say even though you don't know the person?

Link to the afore mentioned thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2031662&page=345

Comments

• Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I judge certain forum members by their name, if I see certain names I just ignore them/their posts regardless of what they have to say.

You've just found a clicky thread, there's a lot of them out there, don't take it personally
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen, some other posters don't seem to have had a reply from that page onwards.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some part of the DS forums are like that pub in American Werewolf In London.

I know we probably shouldn't judge someone by what they say on here but it's all we have to go on, so inevitably a picture will form but it won't be the full picture. However if someone is here to constantly troll and be a dick then there's a good chance they're a dick in person too. I generally ignore what the wind up merchants here say, even when they're trying to be 'nice'.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is always been like that here and there on here; sometimes you get two or three posters argueing the toss over something and they ignore and fresh posters making points etc. Thankfully most threads are " normal"-ish lol
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of my zoom level, the posting column occupies the full width of my screen. Unless I have reason to scroll and look, I have no idea who the authors are as I read the posts. Though sometimes I can guess. :)
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know certain areas can be more cliquey than others, which is a bit unfortunate. As others have said, either persevere or cut your losses :D

For me, I answer a post, rarely read who the FM is although I'm slowly learning a few names - but I can't remember details about many (whether they are male or female, left or right wing, etc) except a couple who do stand out (one particular who uses the term Feminazi so predictably often they are hard to miss). I reply to a post as it's written with an answer based on the post, not the FM specifically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I'll admit I only came on this thread to see who you were talking about.
    But yes, a lot of the other forums have a select strange group, just take it with a pinch of salt. I have also chosen to block some on the politics thread
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    The internet, a place where you can chat or have discussions with people of all walks of life on forums like Digital Spy.

Since I've come on here, I do post and I wonder if I come across well in other members eyes when they read my posts whether my posts are serious or not, some are wind-ups to be honest. But however, I have posted a number of times on the Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4 thread on the TV shows forum which seems to have a closed group of regular posters and anything constructive I post is totally ignored.

Link to the afore mentioned thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2031662&page=345

It takes a lot more posts than you've accumulated to pass the invisibility stage on some forums. Sometimes, even then, you may as well talk to the wall. :D
    I go by what the FM is saying.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely pay attention to poster's names and don't remember more than a couple of them. To me forums are pretty much faceless and I just take each post as it comes. So I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I don't know who you are or what you've posted about. And don't much care either :)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I rarely pay attention to poster's names and don't remember more than a couple of them. To me forums are pretty much faceless and I just take each post as it comes. So I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I don't know who you are or what you've posted about. And don't much care either :)

This. There are only a handful that I remember, sometimes for good, other times bad reasons.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice certain net handles but only in a 'oh, there's that ID' way so I'd be surprised if anyone had any kind of opinion on me.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    You've just found a clicky thread, there's a lot of them out there, don't take it personally

What is a "clicky" thread, exactly? Does it make a sound?
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I think we all do don't we? form an opinion on a poster based on their opinions, thoughts and statements about whatever we're debating.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »

If I've spelt that wrong then whoops but I'm too tired to even know what the correct spelling is.

A clicky thread where the same group of posters chat and don't welcome newbies. A clique, ahh my brain works after all.
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DS is far better than Yahoo answers!

I once did Yahoo answers and only used it for about 3 weeks. Its full of reporter trolls. >:(

A lot of people post perfectly ok questions or answers with no abuse in them and for no reason they get reported and their question deleted, with an intimidating YA email warning them of violation consequences.

It seems on Yahoo answers there is a tightly knit group of people who don't like any outsiders and will report any Qs or As that arn't from their fellow friends. I once asked if people preferred barbecues or eating indoors? In the polls and surveys group.

Within 25 seconds I got an email from Yahoo saying that my question had been reported and that I had violated community guidelines and that my entire Yahoo account would be in jeopardy if I continue to get violation notices. There was nothing wrong with my question except some nasty bit of work wanted it removed. >:(

Yahoo knows fine well people are being reported for no reason. People have complained to them but yet they do nothing about it. 3 weeks on YA was more than enough for me!

YA is a question and answers forum but I only used it for a few weeks, I found you can get much better feedback if you join individual forums. Their is a forum some where on the internet for just about any topic you want. Only thing it means having lots of different passwords!

Yahoo answers. Best avoided.
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    If I've spelt that wrong then whoops but I'm too tired to even know what the correct spelling is.

A clicky thread where the same group of posters chat and don't welcome newbies. A clique, ahh my brain works after all.

Yahoo answers is very 'Clique' Outsiders Qs and As are often reported and removed by reporter trolls for no reason. Yahoo knows this happens but they do nothing about it other than give violation notices to innocent people.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »

You really didn't know what the poster meant?
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    It takes a lot more posts than you've accumulated to pass the invisibility stage on some forums. Sometimes, even then, you may as well talk to the wall. :D
    I go by what the FM is saying.

I agree!

To be fair, whenever I've asked a question in the computer forum I've had some very helpful people advise me on what the answer to my question might be.
    I always try to help people with car problems despite being ignored at times.
    Posting my photographs seems to be wasted energy on my part these days, but I'll keep at it :D
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I don't really understand your problem. Do you expect people to reply to you every time? You seem to be frantically posting links to things that aren't always much to do with what people were saying.

Maybe the people you quoted just didn't find them interesting? I mean with the parody thing, the user you quoted was saying they thought something was overrated, and you responded by posting five links to parody videos.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is against the rules to say anything bad to a forum member on here.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Witty and offensive response withheld*

:D
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

This unfortunately applies more to some than others.

For the most part DS is ok, but not as good as it used to be. I wish there was another decent forum available sometimes.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really didn't know what the poster meant?

Of course, is your sarcasm detector broken?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I think the perception of cliques on here is largely just paranoia. This is a busy forum, with lots of members - we can't all stand out all the time. My posts sometimes get ignored, but that's because they're not always all that interesting!
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    I always try to help people with car problems despite being ignored at times.
    Posting my photographs seems to be wasted energy on my part these days, but I'll keep at it :D

You post very good answers to car problems and DS would be up the creek without genuinely helpful professional people like yourself, and seacam, Stig, chrisjr too. I have seen many of your photos and enjoy them, the problem for me is that Flickr has dropped support for IE9, so the pics don't display properly.

I make a mental note of FMs and so can usually tell who is posting just by reading the post. A few FMs I will read all their posts and a few I will ignore all their posts. Everyone has their own uniquely recognisable style.