Options

Sky to offer Terrabyte HD boxes upgrade to existing older boxe HD susbscribers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My playstaion 3 has the I-Player and is only 160gb - why do you need a 1tbg to use the I-Player?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    My playstaion 3 has the I-Player and is only 160gb - why do you need a 1tbg to use the I-Player?

You're rather missing the point, the current Amstrad boxes (both 500GB and 1TB) will be the first to be upgraded to receive Anytime+ - you don't upgrade all boxes at once, in case something goes wrong (as it did once many years back).

Other HD boxes will receive the upgrade later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Followed instructions and emailed jeremy darroch direct and got the following email back quickly and a phone call that I missed.
    I tried ringing this afternoon but the lady was on a half day so will ring in the morning if she doesnt ring me.
    This is the email with certain details removed for privacy:

Thanks for your email addressed to Jeremy Darroch when you expressed an interest in upgrading your Thompson HD box to a 1TB but were disappointed in the prices quoted when you called us. I've been asked to respond on Jeremy's behalf and will be personally assisting with your enquiry.
    I tried to call you today but was unsuccessful.
    Having checked our records I see that as you were an early adopter of Sky+ HD and currently have a Thompson HD box, a mailer was sent to you in June this year offering you a 1TB box with self install at the reduced cost of £149.00. Therefore, if you are still interested in upgrading I'd be happy to honour this offer and arrange the self install for you. I must make you aware of the key terms of this offer an have set this out below for your reference:-
    “You have chosen to self-install your Sky+HD box. Your Sky+HD box is only free (or discounted) provided that you complete the self-installation process and activate your new Viewing Card within 28 days of receiving your box. If you have not done so within 28 days we will charge you the price of a non-subscription Sky+HD box which is £299 unless you have exercised your right to cancel. We aim to provide a high level of customer service and if you wish to proceed I'd be grateful if you could provide me with a daytime contact number so that I may call you to take payment and make the necessary arrangements. Alternatively you can call me on 08************ between the hours of 0830 - 1530 Monday to Friday however I will not be available this afternoon.
    I dont remember getting the original offer anyway so will try for more tomorrow when I call. I will report back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Spoke to SKY this morning and asked about free 1TB boxes. The lady said that she doubted very much that it would be available free and that they hadnt heard about any such deal ( SKY executive office not normal phone contact)
    However she has ordered a 1Tb box for me, as I seem to have missed the offer earlier in the year, for £149 self install all inclusive.
    She said there would be an anytime+ announcement at the end of the month/beginning of November time.
    She hinted, but didnt confirm, that maybe people would only need one HD payment for multi room sometime in the future.
    I did ask if there were any major offers coming up and she said that they hadnt heard anything and usually they find out before time but obviously couldnt guarantee that.
    Box arrives on the 26th October for £149:)
  • Options
    aghalee blueaghalee blue Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I contacted Sky via the Jeremy Darroch email on Thursday evening and had a call from Sky 10.30 Fri morning. Offering me a New 1Tb Sky HD box for £149 inc free delivery and self install.
    I have had Sky HD from day one and at least I now will have a replacement for my Thomson box. Arriving Wed 27th Oct..:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Just got off the phone with sky on there 0800 cs number.Got a 1tb box for £149 self install and free delivery.Arriving on the 28th october.Happy days:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading this thread and hearing about the anytime+ launch i decided to try my luck at a 1TB box deal, i'd also decided to get Sky broadband too due to anytime+ and longstanding hassle with TalkTalk.

Phoned using the 0800 number from SayNoTo0870.

I didn't go through the threatening to cancel route as i really can't lie that well! lol

I said i was looking at getting SkyBB and a 1TB box and were there any deals available?
    He went though a few prices of the BB etc and then went on the the 1tb box. He said something about the box being £499! I said it's only £249 online and that i know of people getting it for £149 and mentioned the mailshot that i never received. He said 'Oh, it must be on offer on the website then!' and went on to check for the £149 deal.

Unless i've gone mental the box was never £499, even at launch, so i don't know where the hell he got that from, maybe he thought i was going to be stupid enough to think £249 was an offer price!

Anyway, he said he could offer it for £149 and went on to suggest self install for £15 which by the end of the call he'd removed the £15 charge, without me asking!

As for the BB, he said it would cost £39 as a one off connection charge, i mentioned i'd just gone through the online process of adding the items without actually completing the order and it listed One Off Charge as £0.00. He said it was due to taking over the line from TalkTalk and wouldn't budge on that, shame but i had read of the £39 charge for others online so i didn't put up much more of a fight!

Like i said, by the end of the call while going through all the order process he removed the £15 self install charge. He also offered 6 months half price Movies which i had no interest in so turned down, i just wish i'd thought to suggest that i'd take a reduction on some of my current package but it just never entered my head!:rolleyes:

My box is being delivered on the 27th and BB should be sorted by 15th Nov.

Reasonably pleased with the outcome of the call. It really seems to be pot luck with who you speak to, it's very unfair! The guy was actually very nice to talk to, i even caught him towards the end of his shift just before 5pm and the call ended at about quarter past because he was trying to get it all to got through in one order or something.

I just hope the BB transition goes smoothly, and my speed at least matches TT!
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natstally wrote: »
    by the end of the call while going through all the order process he removed the £15 self install charge. He also offered 6 months half price Movies which i had no interest in so turned down, i just wish i'd thought to suggest that i'd take a reduction on some of my current package but it just never entered my head!:rolleyes:
    You can always call them back! If you can't get anying on your current viewing package you could try telling them you'll have movies if they will give you half price on all your viewing. You only have to keep the movies for a month, so can wait for it to be activated and then give 31 days notice. You won't lose any of the discount.
  • Options
    Cbell108Cbell108 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I thik whats really interestingn is that Sky opposed You View. JD of Sky said

"[With] leading broadcasters and ISPs in a consortium there is a risk of stifling choice and there is also the inappropriate use of public money [by the BBC]."

But of course a closed platform initialy only allowing LLU Sky broadband customers to use it gives choice?
  • Options
    Boris BlankBoris Blank Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Well, I couldn't wait any longer and phoned Sky about a new box (my old original Thomson was acting up again). Mentioned the £149 deal for a 1TB and got one offered very quickly without any hassle. No install fee and free postage.

I'll be gutted if the hoped for special deal suddenly makes its appearance tomorrow :eek:

Mind you, if that happens, distance selling and all that I might just have to send the box back and then reorder.....hmmmmm!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I got old Thomson box and I upgrade its power supply + 1TB hard drive last year! so far no issues...

I still got the old WD drive that was in that box.

My question is... if I try my luck to get new 1TB box will they check it was opened etc?

or they just send a new box and we can keep our old box?

Sorry for this thick question... :(
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kalababa wrote: »
    Hi,

I got old Thomson box and I upgrade its power supply + 1TB hard drive last year! so far no issues...

I still got the old WD drive that was in that box.

My question is... if I try my luck to get new 1TB box will they check it was opened etc?

or they just send a new box and we can keep our old box?

Sorry for this thick question... :(

I'm very you can keep the old box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it is yours to keep
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I rang sky earlier this afternoon and got the £149 deal too. My thomson box was bought new from ebay years ago (thomson with component out)

I had upgraded my box to a 1tb drive and replaced the power supply, but it is sooo slow with lots of recordings that I thought I would jump

Just hope anytime+ becomes available for non-sky ISP's and then I'll be happy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reply!

which model they will send? new small black one or same shape with bigger drive?

Thanks

PS: What model is the new small shiny one? any good :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    small black one
  • Options
    Boris BlankBoris Blank Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Yep, as SkyPaulusPlus says, its the newest Amstrad 1TB box. Its very nice :D
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Jabes wrote: »
    I rang sky earlier this afternoon and got the £149 deal too. My thomson box was bought new from ebay years ago (thomson with component out)

I had upgraded my box to a 1tb drive and replaced the power supply, but it is sooo slow with lots of recordings that I thought I would jump
    I have a 1Tb (upgraded!) Thomson STB which I am very happy with. Personally I wonld not dream of paying Sky £149 - especially as about half the rumours suggest that Anytime+ WILL come to these STBs eventually!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello,

I tried my luck on phone but no offer :mad: (tried three times)

They forcefully booked sky engineer call out for free and repair box!

I will cancel that anyway because I do not want that.

so what next what should I do to get that deal? email to JM or any specific number other then usual help line?

Help!
  • Options
    James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emails to James Murdoch will go unanswered as he's no longer in that role. Jeremy Darroch is the man you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I have a 1Tb (upgraded!) Thomson STB which I am very happy with. Personally I wonld not dream of paying Sky £149 - especially as about half the rumours suggest that Anytime+ WILL come to these STBs eventually!

Each to their own. My Thomson is super slow before it even gets to 25% full - all the kids tv programmes I guess.

If the firmware gets improved, I'll still have it on the shelf. Might even give it to a mate who still has sky+
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got the £149 deal after being passed around several depts. Our Thomson box is starting to struggle with dual-HD recording in spite of the Satcure PSU fix some time ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Hi, just a quick question do you think i'll be entitled to the upgrade, currently using a Thompson version 4E3007?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you guys!

After sending email to JD I got reply by email and then phone and will get my box on this Sunday! :)

I hope picture quality is good as my old Thommy... I got Amstrad as a multiroom and pic quality is not good and Thommy...

so fingers crossed...