The Ratings Thread (Part 64)

Comments

• RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know there were special effects to add to Strange/Norrell, but I think they finished filming in March 2014, so it's been on the shelf quite a while. Not sure it would have gathered that much dust if anyone thought it would rate well.

That said it was first programme featured in BBC1's 2015 showreel straight after the new year fireworks.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Vicious - has anyone got any consolidated ratings for this series yet, and how well are the Friday night repeats doing? The Monday night overnights aren't great but I only noticed the other night they're showing it on Fridays too.. perhaps all added up together it's doing well enough to justify a third series. I hear the writer sees it as three series.

We have only partial information in the public domain, as the ITV HD and ITV+1 figures did not make BARB's top 10s, and neither did the first episode consolidate by enough to enter Broadcast magazine's rundown of the top 30 most recorded shows (+440k was required).

These are the figures I could find:

Vicious Series 2

Episode 1
    Overnight: 2.99m (14.1%) exc +1 / 3.09m (14.6%) inc +1
    Consolidated: 3.00m exc HD & +1

Episode 2
    Overnight: 2.26m (10.6%) exc +1 / 2.35m (11.0%) inc +1
    Consolidated: 2.40m exc HD & +1

Episode 3
    Overnight: 2.39m (11.5%) exc +1 / 2.52m (12.1%) inc +1

I would estimate that first two episodes consolidated to ~3.4m exc +1 / ~3.5m inc +1, and 2.7m exc +1 / 2.8m inc +1.

As for the repeats, all I can tell you (using Broadcast magazine's top 10 comedy chart) is that the second one on 12 June overnighted to 1.01m or fewer. (Not terribly helpful as we wouldn't necessarily expect it to get a million when the News at Ten often barely does that!) :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    Awful weather here, the soaps could be higher.

That means nothing in this age, Why watch rubbish like Corrie where you watch anything you want on the internet? YouTube has far more entertaining videos then the dull acting on the soaps these days. Then we have things like games and books which may be better to do.
  • AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That means nothing in this age, Why watch rubbish like Corrie where you watch anything you want on the internet? YouTube has far more entertaining videos then the dull acting on the soaps these days. Then we have things like games and books which may be better to do.

It really does. Some people (like me) enjoy the soaps. Not everyone watches them out of habit. I'm enjoying Emmerdale at the moment (I've watched it for more than 15 years but I don't just sit through it when it's bad, I stopped watching for a while in 2011/2012.)

When the weather is bad, the soaps go up (as do all shows more or less). Coronation Street was getting 7.5m or more in January when the weather was cold, now it's down to the low 6 millions.

Proof:

Coronation Street January Average: 7.69m
    EastEnders January Average: 7.26m
    Emmerdale January Average: 6.36m

Coronation Street May Average: 6.77m
    EastEnders May Average: 5.85m
    Emmerdale May Average: 5.46m
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    BARB officials for the most recent week show BB dominating with all 7 of the channel's most watched programmes and nothing else above 1m (exc. +1). And yet somehow they are 0.03 share points up on the equivalent week last year - which, given the minimal effort they seem to be putting into programming at the moment, is probably a bit of a feat - but it's a miniscule gain, particularly compared with the 1.1 share points C4 has found, albeit inflated to an extent by the one-off TFI event. ...

Which week are you using as the equivalent week for BB last year? Sometimes the partial week at the start of this year's BB is counted as Week 1, with the first full week as Week 2; but in other cases, the two are combined into a long Week 1. (Last year's partial week was shorter and I think I've always seen it combined with the first full week.)
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    BIB1 - JS&MN is a co-production, so although the BBC may have commissioned it, they certainly didn't pay top whack for it …

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2548418/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co

BIB2 - if fantasy really was mainstream, JS&MN wouldn't have had the humiliating ratings it's had. Game Of Thrones is a successful brand, of course - but does 'everyone' love it? Those that have seen it, certainly - but how many is that? And how did they watch it? Not on BBC One on a Sunday night, that's for sure.

I'm not sure whether you're disagreeing with me that the BBC and the people making JS&MN could have been thinking the way I suggested (which included the thought that fantasy was mainstream and everyone loved GoT) or whether you just disagree with those ideas.
    Forum Member
    And by way of comparison, this is how I estimate Vicious consolidated in spring/summer 2013 (exc/inc +1):

Ep 1 - 6.3m/6.7m
    Ep 2 - 4.2m/4.4m
    Ep 3 - 3.00m/3.28m
    Ep 4 - 2.9m/3.1m
    Ep 5 - 2.8m/3.0m
    Ep 6 - 3.0m/3.1m

Again, many consolidated HD and +1 figures are missing so I've had to estimate - except for episode 3 (whose official rating I posted on this thread at the time as I had BARB access).
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Excellent rating for Black Work. Where the hell did 6.2m come from in June?! :o Strange & Norrell is a huge, huge flop - 1.6m is an atrocious rating. Surprise, Surprise returned decently too.

Also that Humans consolidated rating is insane! :o 6.12m is a terrific result for Channel 4 and a rating that wouldn't look out of place as an ITV or BBC drama rating.
    Forum Member
    Excellent rating for Black Work. Where the hell did 6.2m come from in June?! :o Strange & Norrell is a huge, huge flop ....

Answered your own question there ;-)

Seriously though, fantastic for BW, and S&N is a mega-flop of astonishing proportions, making The White Queen two years back look good. Thank God there's only one more to go.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Answered your own question there ;-)

Seriously though, fantastic for BW, and S&N is a mega-flop of astonishing proportions, making The White Queen two years back look good. Thank God there's only one more to go.

Iv sat through three Norrells now on catch-up and tbh I don't think its bad. Winter nights on BBC2 is where it should have gone maybe but its sad its dipped so dreadfully low. Perhaps if they had managed to get Harry Potter into the title somewhere it might have rated better :D
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you there. I'm still waiting for days when it's hot enough to sit outside in the evenings.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to the England Women's team for winning their first ever World Cup knockout game. They will play Canada in the Quarter Finals on Saturday night at half past midnight. Looking at the schedules could this be promoted to BBC One?
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    As for Ripper Street, I dont know what kind of window Amazon has, but I am surprised its taking the BBC this long to air it.

Ripper Street is currently airing a re-run of series 1 and series 2 on UKTV Drama (aka Drama) on Thursdays at 10pm. This week's episode is series 2 episode 7, so it may well be that series 3 starts on BBC1 shortly afterwards.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Overnights: Monday, June 22

BBC One
    19:00 The One Show: 3.79m (21.5%)
    20:00 EastEnders: 6.48m (32.2%)
    22:00 BBC News at Ten: 4.07m (23.4%)

BBC Two
    20:00 The £100k House: The Final Fix: 1.44m (7.1%)
    21:00 Japan: Earth's Enchanted Island: 2.66m (13.2%)
    22:00 Episodes: 0.85m (4.9%)

Channel 4 (exc. +1)
    20:00 Dispatches: The Great British Property Divide: 0.73m (3.7%)
    20:30 Gadget Man: 0.61m (3.0%)
    21:00 Kevin McCloud's Escape to the Wild: 1.55m (7.7%)

Channel 5 (exc. +1)
    20:00 Kicking Off: Caught on Camera: 0.89m (4.4%)
    21:00 Inside Manchester's Midland Hotel: 0.93m (4.6%)
    22:00 Big Brother: 1.01m (6.5%)

BBC Three
    20:00 Don't Tell the Bride: 0.39m (1.9%)
    21:00 Russell Howard's Good News: 0.45m (2.2%)
    21:30 Women's World Cup: Norway v England: 1.39m (10.7%)

ITV2 (exc. +1)
    19:00 You've Been Framed!: 0.23m (1.3%)
    20:30 Two and a Half Men: 0.22m (1.1%)
    21:00 Love Island: 0.44m (2.2%)

E4 (exc. +1)
    19:00 Hollyoaks: 0.60m (3.4%)
    21:00 Made in Chelsea: 0.48m (2.4%)
    22:00 My Mad Fat Diary: 0.32m (2.1%)

Source: Broadcast.
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Well done to the England Women's team for winning their first ever World Cup knockout game. They will play Canada in the Quarter Finals on Saturday night at half past midnight. Looking at the schedules could this be promoted to BBC One?

They could do, but at that time of night I wouldn't consider it much of a promotion; BBC Three would quite often be the highest-rated channel then anyway. However that's mainly down to Family Guy. As Three are showing Glastonbury and both quarter-finals (as things stand) there are no episodes of Family Guy scheduled for Saturday which is very unusual.
  • toffeemanntoffeemann Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did The Met do?
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Good figure for the England game on BBC Three. One hopes they continue and make it to the final. Would be nice to see the media and public get behind the women.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Not a bad rating for EastEnders last night, was it major in terms of story or was this weather related? BBC Two's Japan documentary is once again very high, a real consistent rater. But the standout rating of the night was for the England game on BBC Three. Channel 4 had a mixed night with Gadget Man seemingly now gone the same way as The Gadget Show but Kevin McCloud's show is doing very well. Solid enough for C5 but nothing stands out, as has been the case for several weeks. Interesting to see Love Island up these past two nights, can it keep that going? Still managed to get beaten by Made in Chelsea however, which added a lot more.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether you're disagreeing with me that the BBC and the people making JS&MN could have been thinking the way I suggested (which included the thought that fantasy was mainstream and everyone loved GoT) or whether you just disagree with those ideas.

I'm saying that if they did think JS&MN would be a GoT for BBC One, they were massively mistaken, because fantasy isn't 9pm Sunday night viewing on a mainstream channel. If it was, JS&MN would not be getting the ratings it has.

Is GoT a massive international hit? Sure. But it's from HBO, ergo it's not targeted at the same audience that watches Death In Paradise, New Tricks or Poldark. It also has the advantage of being set in a fictional world, whereas JS&MN puts a fantasy spin on real events - which isn't exactly the most straightforward concept for an audience not devoted to fantasy tropes to grasp.

Additionally, JS&MN isn't a rites of passage story in the way the Harry Potter books are, nor is there any eye candy in there (and people will watch for that - like it or not!). In other words, there aren't really any concessions to non-fantasy fans.

There is no evidence of fantasy shows playing well at 9pm on BBC One or ITV: look at Eternal Law or Outcasts. So, as far as that slot on those channels go, fantasy clearly isn't mainstream …

I totally agree that the BBC should take risks - but JS&MN was, as I and many others have said, never going to be a BBC One show … and the public reaction backs that up.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Island is actually holding better than expected after a poor first week. Women's WC doing well too. Fantastic as always for Japan and BB down a bit to around 1.1m with +1 again
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I agree with you there. I'm still waiting for days when it's hot enough to sit outside in the evenings.

Today could be your lucky evening. ;-)
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toffeemann wrote: »
    How did The Met do?
    3.7m/18.5% for The Met on BBC1 according to Overnights TV
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Vicious 2.18m + 89k
    Funny Old Week 1.32m +85k :o
This discussion has been closed.