Options

iPod touch and Windows 7 64 problems

DonkeyDonkey Posts: 892
Forum Member
✭✭
Tried upgrading my iPod 3rd gen 32gb to latest firmware yesterday, (4.0.2) and it got stuck in the dreaded 'recovery' mode. I then tried to sync it with my laptop, also running win 7 64, and after restore, it still had the same issues.

I spent a couple of hours googling the problems and trying all the known fixes to no avail.

As a last ditch attempt, I dragged out my old desktop which runs on XP and hey presto, after restore the iPod works again.

Has anyone else running Win7 64 tried to upgrade the firmware of their iPod?

The issue is only when attempting firmware upgrades or restores, it works perfectly OK with Win7 64 when synching.

Comments

• Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Have Win 7 64 bit and 64 gig 3rd gen iPod Touch.

You know what I'm going to say dont you...

Sorry, I had no problems whatsoever with the firmware upgrade on mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried updating on two separate machines running win7 64.

Incidentially, both my machines run Intel H55 chipsets, one has an i5 processor and the other an i3.

Looking on the apple forums, seems I'm not alone. Obviously it is not as simple as just running win7.

Wish Apple would get on to it and narrow the problem down and provide a solution.

The easiest thing for now is not to allow the iPod to do anymore firmware updates unless absolutely essential......and keep the old XP machine.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Donkey wrote: »
    Tried upgrading my iPod 3rd gen 32gb to latest firmware yesterday, (4.0.2) and it got stuck in the dreaded 'recovery' mode. I then tried to sync it with my laptop, also running win 7 64, and after restore, it still had the same issues.

I spent a couple of hours googling the problems and trying all the known fixes to no avail.

As a last ditch attempt, I dragged out my old desktop which runs on XP and hey presto, after restore the iPod works again.

The issue is only when attempting firmware upgrades or restores, it works perfectly OK with Win7 64 when synching.
    It's not a problem specific to Win 7 64 bit or the iPod Touch. Quite a few have experienced this on various versions of Windows and it appears to be an iTunes problem (corrupt download or temp file issue). One workaround is to create another new admin user on your computer and run iTunes from there (or as you found out run iTunes on a different machine) - this gets the corrupt file out of the equation. Once iOS is upgraded you can switch back to your normal username and sync all your stuff back across. It applies to iPhones too and has been mentioned by a number of people on the Apple discussion forums and apparently affects all versions of iOS. Thankfully only a minority experience this problem, but it's a significant minority by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    It's not a problem specific to Win 7 64 bit or the iPod Touch. Quite a few have experienced this on various versions of Windows and it appears to be an iTunes problem (corrupt download or temp file issue). One workaround is to create another new admin user on your computer and run iTunes from there (or as you found out run iTunes on a different machine) - this gets the corrupt file out of the equation. Once iOS is upgraded you can switch back to your normal username and sync all your stuff back across. It applies to iPhones too and has been mentioned by a number of people on the Apple discussion forums and apparently affects all versions of iOS. Thankfully only a minority experience this problem, but it's a significant minority by the looks of it.

Slightly different for me as I had already tried another machine ie my laptop and that had exactly the same issues. I had to resort to using a machine with a different windows os to solve my problem. I think the easiest workaround for the time being is to keep firmware updates at arms length, if the iPod is working OK otherwise.

Shame really, as it is my first experience with anything Apple and I expected better.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Slightly different for me as I had already tried another machine ie my laptop and that had exactly the same issues. I had to resort to using a machine with a different windows os to solve my problem. I think the easiest workaround for the time being is to keep firmware updates at arms length, if the iPod is working OK otherwise.

Shame really, as it is my first experience with anything Apple and I expected better.:(

Apple do have a fix for this problem; buy a Mac and run iTunes on that, as it works much better than the buggy Windows version :p
  • Options
    Steve PearceSteve Pearce Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem recently and the only way I got around it was uninstall and reinstall iTunes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Apple do have a fix for this problem; buy a Mac and run iTunes on that, as it works much better than the buggy Windows version :p

Did you say fix or scam?:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this problem recently and the only way I got around it was uninstall and reinstall iTunes.

I don't think that would have worked for me as I tried installing iTunes on my laptop with exactly the same problems. Wonder if it would have been any different if I tried to install the 32bit version of iTunes on my 64 bit OS?
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can't affect everyone thank god! I use Win 7 64bit and had no problems updating.
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Upgraded fine here on a Intel Core i7 system running Windows 7 Ultimate x64
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    Upgraded fine here on a Intel Core i7 system running Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Are you running the 32bit or 64 bit version of iTunes?
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you running the 32bit or 64 bit version of iTunes?

Ahh, right good point, I'm running iTunes x86
  • Options
    GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I run Win 7 Pro 64 and each time I sync my iTouch it crashes with a Windows message because it has encountered a problem. After about 3 or 4 of these iTunes finally syncs/backs up.

Every time I have upgraded the OS on the iTouch it has basically bricked it :eek: and it took a lot of Googling, re-installing the backups and cursing to get it back into working order.

I've now installed iTunes on my Virtual XP and it still has the crashing problem.

I am VERY wary about doing this next upgrade to 4.0.2 and will probably put it off as long as possible. I loathe and despise the invasive bloatware of iTunes and wish I could use my iTouch without it :mad: