TOP 100 BOYS and GIRLS baby names 2010

PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
Forum Member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jul/28/top-100-baby-names-oliver-olivia?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

I love these kind of statistics.

For girls we see the rise of Lacey and Florence.

For boys we see the continuing popularity of Alfie and Harry and also climbing is Jayden:):)

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd light the touchpaper and point out that variations of Mohammed are the fourth most popular boys' name.
  • PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Well we are a multicultural society so that doesnt trouble me.

I am fascinated that lots of really old popular names of the past are very low down or have dropped out of the top 100 altogether.

Eg Paul,Susan,Steven,David,John,Margaret,Mary while at the sametime names that were very common in the early 20th century like Florence,Alfie,Ruby,Lily are are having a renaissance.:):)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Just thought I'd light the touchpaper and point out that variations of Mohammed are the fourth most popular boys' name.

You added together both derivatives of that name to get to that conclusion, right?

Just thought I'd mention it cos it confused me and I'm sure I won't be alone.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Many shit names are moving towards the top of the list.

Many traditional good names are moving lower down the list.

How many of these kids will even be able to spell their own names, while drinking alcopops is another story.
  • PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    jra--Which moden names do you dislike and think will be difficult to spell when drunk?

I like some of the newer names like Summer,Kai, Brandon,Tyler,Evie Taylor-I dont see any that are tricky to spell when intoxicated!:confused::):):cool:
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jra--Which moden names do you dislike and think will be difficult to spell when drunk?

I like some of the newer names like Summer,Kai, Brandon,Tyler,Evie Taylor-I dont see any that are tricky to spell when intoxicated!:confused::):):cool:

Well, I was joking obviously about the spelling.

Anyway.

Oliver, Alfie, Ethan, Dylan, Noah, Lucas, Oscar.

Evie, Ava, Isla, Maisie, Summer, Lola.

Just a few.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I find it really interesting that there aren't more popular European names being chosen by British parents. ie. Germanic, French, Italian.
    American names don't seem to be that popular either. Instead the old names of 100 years ago have resurfaced.
    Nice names but to me Alfie, Archie, Harry, Florence, Daisy,Alice and Lily remind me of the little old ladies and men in the nursing home my aunt used to run when I was a kid. :)
    In the school my granddaughter attends there are 5 boys called Lewis in the same year (7 year olds) and 4 girls called Chloe in the same class.
    But in my class at school in the 60s there were 6 Susan's with a few others having Susan as their middle name.
  • Doubting ThomasDoubting Thomas Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Didn't Mohammed like come top last year or something? I always look for that first when I see these because it winds so many people up. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324194/Mohammed-popular-baby-boys-ahead-Jack-Harry.html
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a complete mystery to me why Oliver and Olivia are so popular names.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    It's a complete mystery to me why Oliver and Olivia are so popular names.
    Me too. :confused: But I quite like Olivia.
    Oliver always conjures up the picture of Dicken's poor little waif holding up a bowl asking for more or memories of drunken Oliver Reed staggering all over a TV chat show set. :D
  • sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand Oliver and Olivia either. Especially when everyone hates the name Olive.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    My name is the 29th popular for boys!

I have a Top 30 name (although according to the newspapers, boys with my name are more likely to be mummy's boys with behavoural issues!)
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tops girls names in 2010 are absolutely horrendous. There's not one single name in the top 25 that I would use.

The boys aren't much better. Too many names are just shortened versions of ones traditionally associated with elderly men (Alfie, Archie, Charlie etc).

It's an interesting comparison looking at 2000 vs 2010 and seeing some of the popular names of 2000 totally drop out of the list in the space of 10 years.
  • glordmonkeyglordmonkey Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you combine the different spellings of Muhammed/Mohammad/Mohammed it moves up to 4th.

According to one of the comments on the page.

What country do we live in again?

Dear me.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What country do we live in again?
    The same one as you, unfortunately.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My name is not in top 100.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really pleased my son's nice traditional name isn't in the top 100. Does that make me a terrible snob? :)
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can download the entire spreadsheet from the Guardian link posted earlier.

I have a Daniel and an Andrew. I'm sure in 2007 when Andrew was born, his name was somewhere in the 70s, but it's dropped off the list entirely now though.

Looking at the historical data though made me smile ... in 1924 my two boys were next to each other in the rankings, 72 an 73.
  • glordmonkeyglordmonkey Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    The same one as you, unfortunately.

Yes, apologies for not wanting my country to be changed beyond all recognition.

My bad.

It is ridiculous, that in England, the 4th most popular named combined is 'Mohammed'.

Ridiculous. This is not the middle east.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My bad.

It is ridiculous, that in England, the 4th most popular named combined is 'Mohammed'.

That's nice, dear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleased my daughters isn't in there either - i have no idea why I'm pleased but I am!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My bad.

Amelia is 5th - isn't that a French name - OH MY GOD WE'RE GETTING OVER RUN!!! :D

ETA - turns out it's German - even worse :rolleyes::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the girls top names are very pretty but some of them have become really boring because every second child in the playground nowadays seems to be an Emily' or a 'Sophie' or an 'Ella'.
    Still I suppose that's better than deliberately calling your child something mad just to show how different and bohemian you are.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Most of the girls top names are very pretty but some of them have become really boring because every second child in the playground nowadays seems to be an Emily' or a 'Sophie' or an 'Ella'.
    Still I suppose that's better than deliberately calling your child something mad just to show how different and bohemian you are.

Where I live there are two Emily's and an Emma. But even at school there were 5 Emily's in my year, I was never the only Emily. It was a popular name back in the 70's it has never really lost it's popularity. I walk round supermarkets and hear someone call Emily and I instantly look round. Thank god for nicknames though.