Sky Text on LCN 206

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The quiz on page 222 hasn't been updated in months: please does anyone have a link to S&T's contact details?

It would be good to be able to contact the editor:)

Comments

• chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    IIRC the correct address is skytext@bskyb.com
    S&T do not have any editorial involvement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanking you kindly:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Result! New Quiz on page 222. End of quiz no longer promises a weekly update.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Result! New Quiz on page 222. End of quiz no longer promises a weekly update.

Well done. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, glad they do take notice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what we do have on Sky Text

100 Welcome to Challenge Text
    199 Challenge Text A-Z

307 All about Pick TV

227 All About Challenge TV
    220 Challenge Games Headlines and pages 224-226 and 222
    300 Challenge Shows and Pages 301-305

Page 120 News from Sky News
    101 Sky News Headlines and 102-109 Stories
    201 Sky Sports Headlines and 202- 209 Stories
    140 Strange News Headlines 141-145 Stories
    170 Sky News Showbiz 171-175 Stories
    651 National Weather Summary
    123 Lottery Results
    130 Business Headlines and 131-135 Stories

Advertising
    500 Sky Text Holidays Headlines –various pages
    940 Marketplace Tipsters and Games Menu – various pages

998 DTT ops status for Sky engineering use only
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Page 160

Sky Text Holidays
    Important service information

From Tuesday 15 October the Sky
    Text Holiday service will no longer
    be available.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Who thinks this is the end of Sky Text altogether? Do Sky have to provide a news and information text service as part of their Freeview commitments?

Personally I haven't looked at it much since they forced viewers away from their TV channels in order to use the service. The way the service is designed suggests that they don't want people to read the news etc. If the Holiday ads have run their course then I would bet they would close it all down as soon as they could.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although something like a connected BBC Red Button might be very good. And an app for phones where u could get all the info via the app.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Who thinks this is the end of Sky Text altogether? Do Sky have to provide a news and information text service as part of their Freeview commitments?

No, they don't - it's not a listed obligation.
    Personally I haven't looked at it much since they forced viewers away from their TV channels in order to use the service.

Same here. Not being able to take a quick nose at the news during the break, without knowing when the programme is coming back on (and also not being subjected to the adverts, curious decision there for a commercial funded channel), basically makes it unusable (not to mention they stripped loads of content out).
    The way the service is designed suggests that they don't want people to read the news etc.

It's weird - you can get to the news headlines, but that's a menu level deeper than where the news starts, so if you don't know the number you have to go to the headlines, then press RED to get the index with all the other newsy bits. They really screwed it up when they changed it to Challenge Text (although I suspect that was part of the plan, along with removing the Sky branding from Sky3/Pick and screwing that up too)
    If the Holiday ads have run their course then I would bet they would close it all down as soon as they could.

The Challenge side of things still has the old branding too. It might be that they have an update pending which removes Holidays and revamps the Challenge part.

With a bit of luck it'll resurrect the correct behaviour with the 1/4 screen video, rename it Sky Text with a less hideous colour scheme and put some of the content back (it works much better as an accompaniment to Sky News than Challenge). If it's not closing down they'll have a bit of extra bandwidth to play with, and they can prove their commitment to world-class news provision, or whatever it is they usually bang on about.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,405
    Forum Member
    http://www.ricesigns.com/real_pictures/bump_sign_W8-1_large.jpg
    AngusMast wrote: »

Personally I haven't looked at it much since they forced viewers away from their TV channels in order to use the service. The way the service is designed suggests that they don't want people to read the news etc. If the Holiday ads have run their course then I would bet they would close it all down as soon as they could.

Sky to end teletext service?

The above post by AngusMast might indeed turn out to be prophetic. I have seen a so far unconfirmed report on another forum* that Sky's text service will be ending on 1 November and that would presumably be because so much news content is now available on assorted Sky websites.

If anyone sees any notices about the end of this service, can they please report them? Thanks. I read Sky text daily and it would be a shame to see it go which would just leave the BBC's offering (good though that is).

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone sees any notices about the end of this service, can they please report them?

Sky Text page 160 on LCN 206, which is the first link mentioned on page 500 under the Blue Button from the service's Home page, announces the Sky Text service is closing on Wednesday 30 October 2013, a tad earlier than predicted.

As ever, it is those without internet access at home who miss the service the most once it has gone.

Mind, the editors did not manage to sort out the bug that put the formatting in rather than quotation marks themselves into headline and the associated text.

This leaves us with the DMGT Text Channels and a couple of others for direct dialling, I think. I only keep LCN 200 BBC Red Button of the entire range of the 200 series of LCNs on my EPG as it's good for getting Testcard W!

So long, Challenge TV Text.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,405
    Forum Member
    Sky Text page 160 on LCN 206, which is the first link mentioned on page 500 under the Blue Button from the service's Home page, announces the Sky Text service is closing on Wednesday 30 October 2013, a tad earlier than predicted.

As ever, it is those without internet access at home who miss the service the most once it has gone.

Mind, the editors did not manage to sort out the bug that put the formatting in rather than quotation marks themselves into headline and the associated text.

This leaves us with the DMGT Text Channels and a couple of others for direct dialling, I think. I only keep LCN 200 BBC Red Button of the entire range of the 200 series of LCNs on my EPG as it's good for getting Testcard W!

So long, Challenge TV Text.

I shall miss it and I particularly like reading the sports news section. Thanks for reporting the confirmation, Sue_Aitch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're welcome, and BBC Red Button page 300 is your friend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Text page 160 on LCN 206 is now the first link mentioned on page 100 under the Red Button from the service's Home Page.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And just proves again why we have such a thing as Public Service Broadcasting in this country.

It is not commercially viable to run a news & information text service for such a small disadvantaged group in this internet age. Which is why we need the licence fee to provide such a service.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And just proves again why we have such a thing as Public Service Broadcasting in this country.

It is not commercially viable to run a news & information text service for such a small disadvantaged group in this internet age. Which is why we need the licence fee to provide such a service.

what a licence fee provided internet service?
    If thats what you mean then I cant see it being workable! not unless say it provides a very basic level of service like it will pay for 1Gbps on the lowest speed broadband internet available in your area! and then you pay extra for anything above that. So if say you order fibre then you just get the cost of a 1Gbps ADSL broadband cost off your fibre cost as you paid for it though your TV licence.
    Or the TV licence paid for ADSL internet to be activated on every line in the country, but it has to be connected to a box that only works with your TV and does connected red button functions or any other stb that works with connected red button. The connected red button (and iPlayer), would be the only data charges that the ISP will charge to the licence fee, with all other data being privately charged. This second idea would be instead of the 1 Gbps of data in the first idea! but is it workable?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    what a licence fee provided internet service?
    I read it as meaning a licence fee funded TV text service, which of course we already have, on the BBC.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    I read it as meaning a licence fee funded TV text service, which of course we already have, on the BBC.

Ok well I took it as LF funded internet service as thats fast becoming the main source for information and also where some TV services are now starting to migrate to.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Ok well I took it as LF funded internet service as thats fast becoming the main source for information and also where some TV services are now starting to migrate to.

No - I was referring to BBC Red Button text which is now the only on-demand info source for the non-internet connected population (and I am excluding mobile phones from that definition).
  • maw1maw1 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the quiz editor ever realised that one question asked " How many miles in a furlong?" and gave the answer as 8? (there are of course 8 furlongs in a mile).:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try asking British Sky Broadcasting Ltd:):)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a shame but with smartphones and internet TV. Does anyone use it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I wrote earlier, those without internet access, such as one of my brothers, do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maw1 wrote: »
    I wonder if the quiz editor ever realised that one question asked " How many miles in a furlong?" and gave the answer as 8? (there are of course 8 furlongs in a mile).:confused:

Just realised yesterday that question is still on there, nine months on from that new-then January 2013 edition.

A few days to go.