Out of hospital and struggling with bad nausea - any tips about what I can try to eat

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not looking for a medical diagnosis

I got out of hospital just after New Year after having a blocked bowel. I'm still struggling with nausea and constantly feeling sick. I'm on three anti sickness tablets and still feel like I'm on a rowing boat in the Atlantic. GP knows how I am.

Any tips on what I can try to eat? I managed some tomatoe soup and bread today which was an achievement.

Any replies would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Go to the chemist and buy some Complan...it is easy to digest and has all the goodness of a light balanced diet.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    readybrek and warm milk. Fairly bland soups. You need to take plenty of fluids.
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was pregnant I suffered terrible sickness, I found meals were just too much so in was told to snack little and often.
    Those Ryveta cracker breads a bit of butter (and maybe some fruit) are good, crackers also and ginger biscuits. Ginger is great for sickness, so ginger tea too and raw ginger, also green tea is meant to be good for sickness too.

Hope you feel better soon x
  • bobby_boleynbobby_boleyn Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Flat, cold coca cola. With ice. Keep sipping fluids.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Oh Greg, you poor man, you really suffer with your health :( Dry toast, thin soup, plenty of fluids, ask your GP for a prescription for Ensure and Fortisip drinks. I hope you feel better soon, take care.
  • Mandy73Mandy73 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Sipping flat coke does help a lot. And I know it's weird, but eating Fishfingers without the skin on helps me too. It's bland, and better (and tastier) than dry toast. The dried chicken noodle soup you get in a packet is a good one too.

You can only get it on prescription, but the anti-emetic drug Domperidone (Motilium) is very good and what I use when I'm feeling sick and nauseous. If you can face it, it should be taken 30-60mins before food.

Feel better soon x
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies I genuinely appreciate it. I will try some of your suggestions out and see how I get on. Thanks for all your best wishes also. I was lucky this time round it happened four years ago and I nearly died of pneumonia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really only know from pregnancy, and i lived on walkers salt and vinegar crisps and cold flat coke. I hope you feel better soon!
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    You could try (low fat) rice pud, rich tea biscuits (the Nice Price ones from Asda are tasty, high in fibre and very cheap) dunked in tea or on their own to nibble, and dry toast dunked in hot milky mild coffee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies msmasood and evil c I appreciate your best wishes and suggestions. I'm going to see my GP today cause I have had a bad night I just want to throw up all the time. Hopefully I can change to the anti sickness medication suggested here and I will try out some of your suggestions also. Thanks everyone for your comments you are all awesome.
  • Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    Try jelly it's most liquid but it's not so it helps with fluids but doesn't come up as quickly as a stomach full of liquid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Good luck at your Doctors today Greg. I hope you get sorted and feel tons better soon. xx
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    l'd suggest scrambled eggs and fish dishes once it's safe to eat solid food again (after Complan, Lucozade, etc.) but what l've done when l've been ill is have different types of soups for lunch and different flavours of Pot Noodle for tea.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ginger biscuits, build up milkshakes. perhaps some plain pasta with a touch of salt in the cooking water for flavour, as others have said try & keep your fluid intake up to stop dehydration
  • year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Prochlorperazine 10 mg three times a day, may make you sleepy, used when getting chemo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    year 1957 wrote: »
    Prochlorperazine 10 mg three times a day, may make you sleepy, used when getting chemo.

Thanks for your suggestion my GP gave me a prescription for this today. I feel so bad I've never had nausea like this in my life I hope it subsides. I'm struggling to keep my medications and food down. I managed to eat a bit today hopefully I can have some soup later.

Thanks avasgranny for your best wishes as always they are much appreciated. Thanks also to TelevisionUser and LYNN(E) for your suggestions.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, flat coke and flat R Whites lemonade. MUST be full sugar, the diet versions don't seem to work on nausea.

I ate loads of salted popcorn - that seemed to help, much like the crisps someone else mentioned?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Ah, flat coke and flat R Whites lemonade. MUST be full sugar, the diet versions don't seem to work on nausea.

I ate loads of salted popcorn - that seemed to help, much like the crisps someone else mentioned?

Thanks Emmersonne for your suggestions. I've started the Prochlorperazine Stemetil tablets and they have made a massive improvement thank goodness.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    To anyone else looking for ideas, one I use is a mug of boiling water with a teaspoon full of Marmite stirred in. Though you either love it or hate it.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you like Bovril ? A mug full is warming and nutricious and easy to get down
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I suffer from chronic nausea and take prochlorperazapine maleate almost daily at the moment. If I'm feeling really rough I mostly stick to bland, dry foods like white bread or crackers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'm getting better but eating is still a bit of a challenge still feel terrible nausea when the prochlorperazine (Stemetil tablets) wear off and when I am waiting for them to kick in. Managing eat some soup and a piece in sausage today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'm getting better but eating is still a bit of a challenge still feel terrible nausea when the prochlorperazine (Stemetil tablets) wear off and when I am waiting for them to kick in. Managing eat some soup and a piece in sausage today.

I'm on these at the moment too and really struggling with food - even the smell.
    I find sprite good, better than water actually , for staying down and coconut water.
    My friends swears by BRAT after sickness - banana , rice , Apple sauce then toast- I don't like banana but tried some rice last night and it was ok, managed it anyway.

Hope you feel better soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    I'm on these at the moment too and really struggling with food - even the smell.
    I find sprite good, better than water actually , for staying down and coconut water.
    My friends swears by BRAT after sickness - banana , rice , Apple sauce then toast- I don't like banana but tried some rice last night and it was ok, managed it anyway.

Hope you feel better soon

Thanks Mrstim hope you feel better too & thanks for your suggestion.