Options

Hit films now Forgotten

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Red Heat pops up on ITV4 now and again - rather enjoyed it I must say - its better than Commando.

No way. From Arnie's glory period, Commando is the best of his amazing run of films that were awful, but at the same time, brilliant.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Roadtrip - American Pie'esque college road movie.
    Red Heat - Pretty much forgotten Arnie/Belushi buddy cop movie?

Not by me (I'm a Walter Hill fan) and I often use Belushi's line "I'm gonna get us something from all four food groups: hamburgers, french fries, coffee and doughnuts."
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    These days i'd say everything by John Carpenter that ISN'T Halloween, The Thing or Escape From New York.

I know this is partly his fault for making quite a few stinkers, one after another but still...

Assault On Precinct 13, The Fog, They Live, In The Mouth Of Madness, Prince Of Darkness, Christine, Big Trouble In Little China are all good.

Hell even The Ward that he made in 2010 while not brilliant was better than most horror these days.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    These days i'd say everything by John Carpenter that ISN'T Halloween, The Thing or Escape From New York.

I know this is partly his fault for making quite a few stinkers, one after another but still...

Assault On Precinct 13, The Fog, They Live, In The Mouth Of Madness, Prince Of Darkness, Christine, Big Trouble In Little China are all good.

Hell even The Ward that he made in 2010 while not brilliant was better than most horror these days.

Are those films really forgotten...two have been remade not so long ago...even They Live that fight scene is still probably remembered.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When Russell appeared on the Norton show BTILC got the biggest cheer.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Big Trouble In Little China was a flop when it was released in the states.John Carpenter mentions this on the commentary track.It wasn't until it was released on VHS that it got more of a following.I wouldn't say Big Trouble is a forgotten film.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Wargames
    Still culturally relevant of course. It still gets referred to by the media whenever they run a 'hacking the infrastructure' scare story. It also set the formula for most Hollywood hacking movies ever since...the teenage computer genius up to no good who is then chased and recruited by the Feds to stop an even bigger danger.

The alternative hacking tale is the identity stealing plot line leaving the protagonist in a mess.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Big Trouble In Little China was a flop when it was released in the states.John Carpenter mentions this on the commentary track.It wasn't until it was released on VHS that it got more of a following.I wouldn't say Big Trouble is a forgotten film.

Yes, reading through the thread just now I was just about to say the same thing.

When Big Trouble in Little China first came out it was slated by critics and the public alike.
    But over time it grew a cult following and is given much more respect now than when it first came out.

I think a lot may have to do with its style which wasn't something mainstream western audiences were that familiar with at the time. It was probably seen as a load of implausible fantasy bullshit. But nowadays since Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, and other Wuxia films, people have come to embrace it more readily now.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, reading through the thread just now I was just about to say the same thing.

When Big Trouble in Little China first came out it was slated by critics and the public alike.
    But over time it grew a cult following and is given much more respect now than when it first came out.

I think a lot may have to do with its style which wasn't something mainstream western audiences were that familiar with at the time. It was probably seen as a load of implausible fantasy bullshit. But nowadays since Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, and other Wuxia films, people have come to embrace it more readily now.

BTILC was a cult classic long before those films came along.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Birdcage

It was a pretty big hit in 1996, especially in the US, but it doesn't get talked about a lot today. When Robin Williams died last year, the film wasn't included in a lot of the career tributes and retrospectives that news stations and websites ran.

E.T. is hardly forgotten. It still airs multiple times a year. It's a classic and one of Steven Spielberg's most celebrated and critically acclaimed films. Private Benjamin is one of Goldie Hawn's most famous films. There have been rumours of a remake circulating for a few years now. Some of her other comedy films are forgotten today - Wildcats, Housesitter and Protocol.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all necessarily hits but a lot of Oscar winning films have faded into obscurity. I already mentioned Ordinary People and As Good as it gets as examples, but also Blue Sky (Jessica Lange) Norma Rae and Places in the Heart (both Sally Field), The Trip to Bountiful (Geraldine Page), Harry and Tonto (Art Carney), Charly (Cliff Robertson), The Country Girl (Grace Kelly) and Butterfield 8 (Elizabeth Taylor) are all rarely seen nowadays, even Children of a Lesser God (Marlee Matlin).

Another curious thing is that while The Colour Purple is still remembered for getting eleven nominations and winning none, The Turning Point, the only other film to achieve this, has been almost entirely forgotten.

Driving Miss Daisy is still remembered, but largely as an object of ridicule, which is strange as it made a star of Morgan Freeman.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ I'd say Butterfield 8 is still pretty well known, but you're right to point out Academy kudos is no guarantee of long term awareness.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry and Tonto (Art Carney)

Great film and one that hasn't been shown for donkeys years.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is pretty dumb, of course people who saw a film remember it. However if it doesn't get a big tv/blu-ray viewing then it will be minority known.....
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think this thread is dumb at all, the OP was simply questioning why some big films seem to fade away into obscurity while other receive directors cuts, remasters, 25th anniversary edition etc etc and stay part of the public consciousness for decades, movies like Star Wars, Aliens, Goodfellas whereas some which are equally as successful just dissappear and aren't embraced by the next generation. Avatar which inspired the thread is a good example considering its the biggest money maker of all time I dont know anyone who can't wait for the sequels. There were people who claimed to be suicidal when it was released because they coulkdnt live in Pandora. Its now laregely seen as a dodgy sci-fi Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas rip off. I dont think the OP is saying the films are truly forgotten, just remembered less fondly
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    This thread is pretty dumb, of course people who saw a film remember it. However if it doesn't get a big tv/blu-ray viewing then it will be minority known.....

That's not necessarily true - there are lots of reasons why one movie may stay within the general public's consciousness and others may not; when a film is referenced or parodied a lot in other work, for example, or when a certain movie becomes synonymous with an actor due to their performance (whether for good or bad reasons).

In fact, I would say that it's the other way around from your theory - movies that are better remembered then end up being shown on TV more or get a better blu-ray release, because they get stronger viewing figures and sales respectively.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Avatar which inspired the thread is a good example considering its the biggest money maker of all time...

There's an irony to the claim about how forgotten Avatar is, considering the amount of times it's suggested that it's forgotten. Evidently, it's been remembered to be forgotten. ;)
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »

I wouldn't say that the thread is dumb, but some of the suggestions have had me wondering...
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Not all necessarily hits but a lot of Oscar winning films have faded into obscurity. I already mentioned Ordinary People and As Good as it gets as examples, but also Blue Sky (Jessica Lange) Norma Rae and Places in the Heart (both Sally Field), The Trip to Bountiful (Geraldine Page), Harry and Tonto (Art Carney), Charly (Cliff Robertson), The Country Girl (Grace Kelly) and Butterfield 8 (Elizabeth Taylor) are all rarely seen nowadays, even Children of a Lesser God (Marlee Matlin).

Another curious thing is that while The Colour Purple is still remembered for getting eleven nominations and winning none, The Turning Point, the only other film to achieve this, has been almost entirely forgotten.

Driving Miss Daisy is still remembered, but largely as an object of ridicule, which is strange as it made a star of Morgan Freeman.

Science fiction fans remember "Charly" because it's an adaptation of
    "Flowers for Algernon", one of the classic texts of the genre. I'd say
    a few people also remember "As Good As It Gets", and my mother
    is a big Redford fan so she remembers "Ordinary People".

But I'd say you're right about the others- I rarely hear them mentioned.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Science fiction fans remember "Charly" because it's an adaptation of
    "Flowers for Algernon", one of the classic texts of the genre. I'd say
    a few people also remember "As Good As It Gets", and my mother
    is a big Redford fan so she remembers "Ordinary People".

But I'd say you're right about the others- I rarely hear them mentioned.

I mentioned Charly as it has become obscure in comparison to The Lawnmower Man, which actually is much closer to Flowers for Algernon than the Stephen King story.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cocoon
    Batteries Not Included

From reading online both films were hits at the box office especially Cocoon.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    Cocoon
    Batteries Not Included

From reading online both films were hits at the box office especially Cocoon.

I'd say Batteries Not Included is the more forgotten of the two. Cocoon still gets referenced in relation to sprightly pensioners every now and then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member

you're completely wrong, these films are far from forgotten.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Sleepy Hollow & Big Fish.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »

The Country Girl is probably best remembered for the fact that Grace Kelly won the Best Actress Oscar over Judy Garland's stunningly moving performance in A Star is Born. Hollywood was so impressed that Kelly pulled her hair back in a bun, wore glasses and no make up that they confused that with great acting.

Over 60 years later it is Judy's magnificent performance that will never be forgotten. :)