Is anybody else annoyed with Jacqueline Jossa's lazy-acting.?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
Forum Member
I think she can be a good actress and shows promise when she puts in the effort. But I find myself really underwhelmed when I watch Jacqueline playing Lauren on EastEnders, because she puts no energy into her performance, and energy is key to do for any actor. I know there are a lot of lazy actors in EastEnders but I think Jacqueline stands out the most for it at the moment. Which is frustrating because I think she is capable of more.

Comments

• ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment her character is an unemployed layabout who either is lounging around with friends, getting drunk or avoiding work, so I think it suits the role quite well, but I agree that with the right storyline she would be capable of more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the appeal of this actress/character at all!

Those faces she pulls, the way she talks is quite fake as well and the way she walks just makes me want to yell "Shake yourself".!

Highly annoying character!
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the appeal of this actress/character at all!

Those faces she pulls, the way she talks is quite fake as well and the way she walks just makes me want to yell "Shake yourself".!

Highly annoying character!

Yes, that bugs me too. There's just something not quite right about her performances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Lauren more than I could possibly say, but I personally see no problem with Jacqueline Jossa's acting.

Sure, she's not the best actress in EE....you get the point :D
  • aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was good during Tanya's cancer and the alcohol story but anything else is cringeworthy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Yes, that bugs me too. There's just something not quite right about her performances.

I just find it questionable how her tone as well as her voice can change so frequently, is she trying to act 3 female characters in one body?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The character has become very lazy, annoying and pouty, so in fairness Jacqueline is doing her job. I think she over acts a bit if I'm honest.
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jacqueline's made the "Lauren role" her own since superseding the rather tepid Madeleine Duggan two years ago in the re-cast and although she's a tad pantomime-like in her role she's a more animated improvement on the original non-entity that was the younger Lauren.....even though I'm not a big fan of re-casts! I do think that the previous actress wouldn't have done "lazy" acting very well either and Jacqueline suits the role of a pretty looking "lay about" better than Madeleine would've done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido9 wrote: »
    Jacqueline's made the "Lauren role" her own since superseding the rather tepid Madeleine Duggan two years ago in the re-cast and although she's a tad pantomime-like in her role she's a more animated improvement on the original non-entity that was the younger Lauren.....even though I'm not a big fan of re-casts! I do think that the previous actress wouldn't have done "lazy" acting very well either and Jacqueline suits the role of a pretty looking "lay about" better than Madeleine would've done!

Madeleine would have wiped the floor with Jacqueline in any of the storylines that the "older" Lauren has been given.

As the character was written out for quite some time and in the meantime, Madeleine's appearance had matured to be able to portray the "new version" of the character, I didn't see the point of the re-casting ........ until I found out that Jacqueline's family has several behind the scenes contacts on the show.

The most ridiculous thing about the restructuring of Lauren is that she went to America speaking more Westminster than Walford and came back speaking "street". At least that has been toned down a little now but Jacqueline's tone and diction is still annoying.
  • karl93karl93 Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is ridiculously hot though :P
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just find it questionable how her tone as well as her voice can change so frequently, is she trying to act 3 female characters in one body?

You're right, she does do that :D

I recall that there was a recent scene in the Branning's passageway with her, Max, Joey and Derek and SHE was the worst which is saying something :D She wasn't natural at all and her speech was very forced. You're right IMO, it's the way she uses her voice that is the problem.
    tands wrote: »
    The character has become very lazy, annoying and pouty, so in fairness Jacqueline is doing her job. I think she over acts a bit if I'm honest.

Perhaps that's it too? Over acting, too emphasised, too over done etc even when she's supposed to be lying lazily on the sofa!

For the life of me I can't put my finger on it but there is something wrong and I'm always aware of it. She doesn't come across as a 'natural' actor to me, it's forced.

She's a gorgeous girl who is perhaps just used to coasting on her good looks? Thinks she doesn't have to make too much effort?

Mind, the storylines they're giving her don't help.
  • EEfansince1990EEfansince1990 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I used to love her but I agree it's like she can't. A***d anymore Whitney is the Same it's like she can't b bothered but I think she's doing that on purpose Coz she was suspended
  • EEfansince1990EEfansince1990 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Maybe shes got too bigheaded
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite puzzled about what's seen as good or bad acting around here.
    We have some characters who use understated acting but are then called bland and boring, and then the very expressive face of Jac Jossa gets accused of over acting.
    To make things even more confusing is seeing Lacey Turner being lauded for her
    acting, which consisted of nothing more than looking sad and miseable, and screwing her face up and snarling out her lines.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,211
    Forum Member
    How very, very, very dare any of you diss my Lauren/Jac J, you all should be ashamed :mad: naughty corner you all go! :mad:
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Dixon on this one. What exactly do you think is bad acting?

Jossa does a perfectly good job. When is called upon, she's been fantastic - Tanya's cancer, her drink addiction. And her chemistry with Witts is brilliant, she does that flirtaious, sexy tone really well.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like the character. I think you're all probably the same and you're mistaking an unlikeable character for a bad actress...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Dixon wrote: »
    I'm quite puzzled about what's seen as good or bad acting around here.
    We have some characters who use understated acting but are then called bland and boring, and then the very expressive face of Jac Jossa gets accused of over acting.
    To make things even more confusing is seeing Lacey Turner being lauded for her
    acting, which consisted of nothing more than looking sad and miseable, and screwing her face up and snarling out her lines.

If you think Jacqueline has been better than Lacey Turner then it's no wonder you are puzzled when it comes to understanding good and bad acting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    I'm with Dixon on this one. What exactly do you think is bad acting?

Jossa does a perfectly good job. When is called upon, she's been fantastic - Tanya's cancer, her drink addiction. And her chemistry with Witts is brilliant, she does that flirtaious, sexy tone really well.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like the character. I think you're all probably the same and you're mistaking an unlikeable character for a bad actress...

I'm certainly not mistaking an unlikeable character for a bad actress! Don't be so ridiculous and insulting.

For me, and I can only speak for myself, there is something missing from her performances. I can't put my finger on what it is but I know it's there.

There are many unlikeable characters in soaps who I love to watch, who play the parts really well. In this case the problem is compounded - less than convincing 'shouty' actress coupled with a quite unlikeable character. Double whammy.

But that's just my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I'm certainly not mistaking an unlikeable character for a bad actress! Don't be so ridiculous and insulting.

For me, and I can only speak for myself, there is something missing from her performances. I can't put my finger on what it is but I know it's there.

There are many unlikeable characters in soaps who I love to watch, who play the parts really well. In this case the problem is compounded - less than convincing 'shouty' actress coupled with a quite unlikeable character. Double whammy.

But that's just my opinion.

Well said :)
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there are different types of unlikeable characters. Characters like Janine, Archie and Den who we love for being so very bad! Then there are unlikeable characters who have become unlikeable by accident and through circumstance, those characters are often young - the likes of Sonia, Bianca, Stacey and Lauren.

I don't think Pasty Palmer is the best actor in the world but I know she is a perfectly capable actor and the reason I dislike her character is due to bad writing and poor storylines. The same could be said for Sonia, that random lesbian affair made no sense and made me permanently dislike the character. Character, not actress! (though her recent celebrity antics and stints on reality tv and made me think otherwise...)

I'm not trying to be insulting but I very much doubt anyone here has the qualifications to judge who and who isn't a bad actor. In fact, they're probably very few with any acting or industry experience at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorene is a lazy brat who spongers of her parents and throws a wobbly if she dont get her own way
    I think she is doing a good job .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong at all with Jac j's acting. She does a good job. People are too critical I think.
    It's her character thats to blame , lazing around and goofing off all day long. I read the Lorraine Newman interview recently and she says that next year Lauren goes back to college. About time.
    She needs to knuckle down like her little Sister and better herself :)

From what I can gather stalking her on Twitter she is a well-rounded and likeable individual in real life .
  • anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is a very good actress.But at the moment as some people said,Lauren is supposed to be lazy,so Jac acts it well.But i do find her way of speaking getting so fake.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jacqueline Jossa has grown into a great young actress and plays the character of Lauren Branning very well. The character has a great mix of drama, emotion and comedy, and I'd say Lauren is one of most favourite young characters.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought she was darn good tonight!