Sky Planner - Please wait ....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
Forum Member
I have a Pace v2 Sky+ box which I upgraded to 250GB over a year ago. Its all been great since then until last week when it started say "Please wait..." every time I tried to go into the planner.

I tried planner rebuilds and resets and all kinds of things with no luck, but after one time when I unplugged the whole thing for 10 minutes or so, I got into the planner okay. The strange thing is that as soon as I go into standby the planner develops the same problem.

I've taken it apart and reseated everything, and called Sky but they seemed to know far less than you can get from 10 minutes reading this forum!

As an engineer costs £65, I'm thinking of upgrading to Sky HD even though my Plasma is the old 3000:1 contrast Panasonic that was well before HD (although it does have component input). However the extra cost seems quite steep considering I won't actually have HD, and I don't see much need to replace my screen when its pretty damn good compared to so many others I've seen.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? Do I stay with my current set up and reprogram my expensive Logitech remote so that it never turns the Sky+ box off (and be careful when using my bedroom TV)? Or should I pay for Sky HD ? Or does anyone know what the problem with my box is ?

Simon

Comments

• battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried a 'software update'? Also check your signal strengths etc. If those are low that can cause problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Yes tried the forced software update (twice) and the signal strength is fine (I don't see how that would stop planner working though)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have this problem too (posted here).

Do you still have the original drive? Try it with that fitted and see if it still has problems (I've not tried that yet myself).

Mine's fitted with a nearly new Western Digital 160GB AV drive (WD1600AVBB).

I find that if I leave it in standby for any length of time, when I go to the planner I get the Please Wait message and have to power-cycle. As long as I bring it out of standby quickly after power-on it's fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    My pace v1 box did this after the auto standby update last week I just did what it said on screen (PLEASE WAIT) and it came on after about 10mins or so.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has happened to me in the past week or so, haven't touched the drive or anything.

Seems okay now, could it be a software bug?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been happening to me since I got this box (off eBay) a couple of months ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    It must be a software issue. Otherwise why is it all 100% fine if you never put it in standby....

QED
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened to me again.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it happen to anyone who has the original disk fitted?
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoog wrote: »
    Does it happen to anyone who has the original disk fitted?
    I had it once, several months ago. Might even have been last year. Never happened since.

Pace PVR3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Ive had this 3 times in the last week with my Pace PVR2 (upgraded to 320gb iirc), the first time my mother rang Sky and they step-by-stepped her thru the System reset procedure, and managed to remove 3 years worth of recorded F1 races... :mad:

Since then its happened twice more and both times ive unplugged, left for 10minutes and plugged the unit back in and its worked again... It appears that the box no longer likes coming out of standby, ill try leaving it turned on 24/7 and see if that helps.

Am i being skeptical in thinking Sky simply want me to upgrade to the new HD+ box and have purposefully introduced a new bug to give me a nudge in that direction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I agree with the last reply. Sky+ doesn't like coming out of standby..It has been happening to me for about a week.
    I fitted a new hard drive 18 months ago and this is the first problem that I have encountered.. It would be interesting to know iif Sky have downloaded new software within the last couple of weeks
  • SC_PeteSC_Pete Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    japling wrote: »
    I agree with the last reply. Sky+ doesn't like coming out of standby..It has been happening to me for about a week.
    I fitted a new hard drive 18 months ago and this is the first problem that I have encountered.. It would be interesting to know iif Sky have downloaded new software within the last couple of weeks

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=934809
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same problem for the first time yesterday with my Pace v2. Did a power-cycle and it was fine. I will try it again when I get home today. All this after upgrading the drive 5 years ago and not 1 problem since.
    I certgainly hope it doesn't happen again as I'm going on holiday next week and will not be too happy if I get back to a box full of failed recordings!
    To me it sounds like a software update from Sky messed up quite a few boxes. They need to fix this!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me yesterday. 500GB drive that's been in there months now won't get past Please Wait when viewing planner or trying to add a recording.

Put the older 160GB drive back in and it's fine. Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing it. Wonder if doing a software download will restore the older software (if it's still on the stream) and get it working for a bit again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Same here for me, started in the past 5 days - Pace v2 with 250GB maxtor. Been fine for 2 years, now getting the Please Wait ad infinitum when trying to access planner after coming out of standby.
    Other downside is that it won't record programmes while in Standby since this problem. Hmm....
    Hard reboot (power lead out for 30 secs) seems to fix it until the next standby.
    My suspicion is a poorly tested software update from Sky.
  • DaisyMaisyDaisyMaisy Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness. I thought my beloved Sky+ was on the way out.

This has been happening to me as well, started two days ago. I have a V2 with 250 gig disc. It has been problem-free until now.

Very annoying but I'm relieved I'm not the only one this is happening to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    storri wrote: »
    Same here for me, started in the past 5 days - Pace v2 with 250GB maxtor. Been fine for 2 years, now getting the Please Wait ad infinitum when trying to access planner after coming out of standby.
    Other downside is that it won't record programmes while in Standby since this problem. Hmm....
    Hard reboot (power lead out for 30 secs) seems to fix it until the next standby.
    My suspicion is a poorly tested software update from Sky.
    Which is more or less confirmed on the other thread (referenced above) where we've been discussing it for the last 2 days and are trying to gather as much information as possible to help Sky fix this as quickly as possible.

New threads about this really don't help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im getting the same thing it was the 3rd time on the trot this morning.
    Because i didnt get home from work till late last night it didnt record anything either!!!!

Its just one thing after another with that flaming box! Its almost impossible to doube record anything that involves ITV. stuttering etc, it crashes for no reason so I have to reboot the dam thing and now this!!!!
    I have a pace PVR2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    New threads about this really don't help.

Whilst new threads might not help, existing threads with less informative titles don't help much either.

When searching for this problem a thread with "Sky Planner - Please wait .... " makes much more sense to me than "New Software Update & EPG". Perhaps the two could be merged under "Please wait... error / Software Update"?

Anyway, I'm another experiencing this problem and I'm relieved to know it's not just confined to my upgraded box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the Link.
    Ive turned off standby for the time being so shouldnt get it again hopefully

Ive emailed the guy stated in previous threads as I have a whole load of other problems with recordings skipping on certain channels, freezing and crashing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rustpot wrote: »

Interesting. Different from the "fix" people have been hearing from customer services.

Really badly written too. Only mentions the Planner at the top and never again. Seems to be about a different problem.
  • RustpotRustpot Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoog wrote: »
    Interesting. Different from the "fix" people have been hearing from customer services.

Really badly written too. Only mentions the Planner at the top and never again. Seems to be about a different problem.

So similar but I think you are right. Thought it was worth putting up as this is where a google search will take you.

It certainly differs from the advice I was given by Sky technical which involved the removal of the viewing card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Rustpot wrote: »

This fix is just a version of the standard power cycle reboot procedure which Sky customer support seem to throw at every technical problem that arises. I agree any non permanent glitch can be fixed by a reboot but not this problem.

I just got off the phone to Sky CS who could go no further than this procedure other than to say "if it happens again we will have to send out an engineer at a cost of €100". hmmm - I don't think so!:rolleyes:

This is clearly a software bug. I have just started to experience this in the last 2 days since 18/Nov. Failed recordings, "Please Wait..." error when I try to access the planner and when I try pause/rewind live tv. It seems anything to do with the hard drive just won't work. However, when I do a power cycle reboot, everything works perfectly - until it happens again the next day.:mad:

The box was setup to auto standby and I always switch to standby when not watching. From now on I'm going to see how it goes with the box left on all the time.

I told the Sky CS guy that there was a problem with the box freezing when using live pause about three years ago following a software "upgrade" in Sep/05 which took Sky ages to sort out. When I asked him was my OS upgraded in the last few days he insisted that my box had the correct software version and it had not been upgraded recently - yeah right!. He said the only next step was a service engineer visit. I told him I would go see if anyone else was experiencing this problem - I didn't need to look far!

I think this will be another one for the e-mail inbox of James Murdoch and/or the sky All Customer Care Escalation if the sky frontline customer support don't at least acknowledge this problem for the software bug it is.

My system is:
    Pace V2 - 250GB Maxtor upgrade in early 2005
    currently running
    OS version 1.31B07
    EPG version 5.04.e

It has worked flawlessly since the Sep/05 bug was fixed until now.

If any Sky techs read this - please get this sorted! Is it possible to get Sky to rollback the recent software update until a fix is available?

Brian