Viva Forever! has already made almost $5 Million - before even opening...

Comments

• kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Press Release
    "As soon as I met the girls there was something very special immediately…we clicked straight away and it felt very comfortable from that moment."
    Emma Bunton

The Spice Girls are undisputedly the biggest, best-selling all-female group ever and their mantra of Girl Power is currently taking London by storm all over again with the launch of new musical Viva Forever!

This brand new feature-length documentary will celebrate the Spice Girls’ music and their story as Girl Power is introduced to a new generation through the musical. It will explore the band’s stratospheric rise to fame, featuring exclusive new interviews with all five girls, and with the people who know them best and worked with them along the way.

Victoria Beckham says of the band’s success: “It was such a whirlwind, it was really quite overwhelming. And we were so tired. We were working really, really hard. I mean the record company would have us at the airport sometimes at five o’clock in the morning. We’d fly somewhere, we’d be working all day, we’d get in super, super late, we’d have a couple of hours sleep and then we’d go off again the next day.” Melanie C says: “Everything we touched turned to gold. It was ridiculous.”

More than 15 years since they took the pop world by storm, this documentary provides the definitive portrait of a band which sold more than 75 million records worldwide and examines the story of the five girls whose music, look, attitude and success had such a profound, era-defining impact on the 90s and whose influence in British pop culture is still felt.

We examine how their relationships with each other have evolved over time, the truth behind the rumours, and how the five girls now juggle individual projects and roles as working mothers.

Mel B says of her Spice persona: “Every woman gets a little bit scary now and again…I liked my name. It kind of put a barrier up because when somebody would first meet me they would think I was going to be horrible. And actually I picked and chose whether I was going to be nice or not nice!”

Geri recalls the story behind her infamous Union Jack dress at The Brits: “I remember the stylist at the time told me not to wear it. I literally got “don’t wear that”. And I was going, “but I like it. I like it”…For me that dress symbolises what the Spice Girls is about.”

As the highly anticipated musical is launched in the West End this December, we look at the creative process behind it, see the girls in the lead up to its premiere and go behind the scenes leading up to opening night, providing the perfect opportunity to reflect on the music that made the Spice Girls’ success.

Melanie C explains: “I think us girls have always felt that our songs were quite theatrical, you know. And you know, there’s great subject matter in there. There’s quite a lot of storytelling within the songs as well. So it was something we’d talked about for years and years and years.“

This is an opportunity to tell their story first-hand, revealing the extent of their ambition, their aims, their creative partnerships, their music and their legacy. Victoria says: “I’m really proud to be Posh. I’m so proud to have been in the Spice Girls and to have achieved everything I have. I’m the luckiest girl in the world, I really am. No-one knows that more than me.”

The documentary also includes interviews with the writer of the musical Jennifer Saunders and its producer Judy Craymer. Jennifer says: “For a long time…if I’ve written it, I’ve always been in control of how it went on. So this is a massive collaboration where I’m just not allowed to be as bossy as I would like to be. So it’s kind of terrifying.”

Other new and exclusive interviews featured include two of the Spice Mums - Victoria’s mum Jackie and Melanie C’s mum Joan, plus Richard E Grant, Perez Hilton and Dawn French.
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to stand outside the theatre for the première to try and get autographs, but unfortunately I have an exam the next day so I can't. Gutted!

However I'm going to watch it on the 22nd!!! Can't wait. Hopefully the cast will be at the stage door afterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    @kenny12 - someone needs to tell you its no longer 1997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @kenny12 - someone needs to tell you its no longer 1997

Thankyou, darling.

Yes it does appear to be 2012! A year in which we have seen The Spice Girls reunite and steal the show in front of a global audience of billions at the London 2012 Closing Ceremony.

A year in which we have the opening of Viva Forever! A New Musical based on the songs of The Spice Girls.

A Year in which all five Spice Girls reunited for the Press Launch in June, and will again sensationally attend the Premiere together on December the 11th.

A year in which a prime-time Christmas Eve documentary on the 'Girls story will air on ITV1, featuring the famous five talking about their time together, and bringing Girl Power to a whole generation through Viva Forever!

Is this not current?

Must have missed all of these Spicy goings on back in 1997....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem with me providing the brand new Press Release from ITV which was literally sent out less than an hour ago..

I have had multiple PM's and posts asking if I knew when the documentary would be airing.

Relax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know all this stuff?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    How do you know all this stuff?

I work for an entertainment company;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Cool :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I went on Saturday with 5 friends for my birthday... we LOVED IT!!!! I wasn't sure at the beginning but it just got better and better - at the end of the show everyone were on their feet singing and dancing! Would love to go again...!! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait. I'm going in 11 days!

Opening night tonight, so seeing the reviews tomorrow will be interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been looking at some of the press photos on Getty Images - wonder why Victoria isn't in any of the pics with the other girls? Looks odd.
    Forum Member
    I heard on the news that Posh was travelling with David and her sons and got stuck in London traffic so was late and couldn't do the first set of press interviews.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian
    "But the real problem is the songs. For one thing, there aren't enough memorable hits in a career that lasted for three albums to support two hours of theatre. In fairness, the Spice Girls had a handful of decent songs - 'Stop' and 'Say You'll Be There' among them – but elsewhere they're forced to rely on pretty vapourous album tracks such as 'Right Back At Ya' and, at one panic-inducing moment, delve into the solo oeuvre of Geri Halliwell."

The Telegraph
    "I'll tell you what I wanted, what I really, really wanted – I wanted this terrible show to stop... this is a fatuous show with nothing fresh to say about popular culture and our fixation with fame. If you love the Spice Girls stay at home and listen to their greatest hits."

Daily Mail
    "What a disappointment. The Spice Girls were fun, full of beans, a greater force for feminism than Harriet Harman or even Nick Clegg. They were can-do, can-just-about-sing. What they lacked in the harmony department, they made up for with vim, va-voom and hip-clingy Union Jack frocks. So how come this new musical featuring the group's songs is so drudgy, so sour and focused on failure?"

The Independent
    "Not only does Jennifer Saunders's script rarely give you that necessary gleeful sense of expectancy about where the songs are going to be shoe-horned in, but it's embarrassingly derivative of Mamma Mia! and looks way past its sell-by date in its utterly surprise-free satiric swipe at X Factor."

Huffington Post
    "These are songs for dancefloors, not the aircraft hanger space of what amounted to a big-budget school production, without a hairbrush to sing into in sight."

Evening Standard
    "When 'Spice Up Your Life' is performed, it's a genuinely buzzy moment. But there aren't enough really potent songs to make this a compelling jukebox musical. The first half is limp, the second better yet hardly electrifying."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first thought I had when I read about the Spice Girls musical was "but they haven't got many memorable songs!" and this have proved to be the case.

The Spice Girls were no ABBA.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet kenny needs a lie down after these scathing reviews :D
    Forum Member
    Despite all the negative reviews I still loved it and would see it again.:D

It's just a fun night out - nothing heavy. Although I do agree I think it is more for Spice Fans really. I knew every song and sang along with my friends.:)
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite all the negative reviews I still loved it and would see it again.:D

It's just a fun night out - nothing heavy. Although I do agree I think it is more for Spice Fans really. I knew every song and sang along with my friends.:)

it will close soon then.:o casual fans like myself wont be interested after reading those dreadful reviews.
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't you rather form your own opinions rather than being dictated by reviews of other people? That's what I always tell my students.

No disrespect meant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't you rather form your own opinions rather than being dictated by reviews of other people? That's what I always tell my students.

No disrespect meant.

the reviews will put people off, you must realise that. personally, i wouldn't go away, because i wasn't impressed with mamma mia. which incidentally was met much more positively with the critics. although, after reading the almost universal panning for viva forever, i appreciate that`s not difficult.:D
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No disrespect meant.

If it was as simple as listening to a record on the radio or watching a TV show you're right

But when it comes to spending £20-£85 on a ticket plus the associated expence of travel to London etc for maybe a couple of people casual show goers would probably take a guide from critics.
    Forum Member
    This is totally off topic - but you make a good point about theatre tickets being pricey. Here's a good site which is aimed for students and young people:

http://www.londontheatreticketscheap.com/students-under-26/

and

http://www.studentbeans.com/student-discounts/morebeans.eolts.co.uk.html

There may be other good sites but these are ones I have been told about.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really dont see where this is going to fit in to be honest.

If you want a sing-along musical full of catchy songs then you're going to see Mamma Mia, the Spice Girls have about 4 memoral songs at the most.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is totally off topic - but you make a good point about theatre tickets being pricey. Here's a good site which is aimed for students and young people:

http://www.londontheatreticketscheap.com/students-under-26/

and

http://www.studentbeans.com/student-discounts/morebeans.eolts.co.uk.html

There may be other good sites but these are ones I have been told about.

students will not flock to see viva forever.:o some casual fans may have already bought tickets, but i cant see this show finding a long term audience now.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I really dont see where this is going to fit in to be honest.

If you want a sing-along musical full of catchy songs then you're going to see Mamma Mia, the Spice Girls have about 4 memoral songs at the most.

This.

And that is the problem when people overrate/overhype a very basic girl band. Sure they achieved a lot in a short space of time, but that's been done and dusted and bigger and better records have been broken since.