Options

Re-heating chips

HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For some reason last night I ended up with way too many chips with my takeaway.

Not knowing what to do I bunged them in the freezer. Can these be defrosted and reheated successfully? :confused:

I'll only get one shot at it realistically, so should I try heating them in the microwave or the oven?

Comments

• Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think the bin is the best place. If you'd cooked them yourself they would possibly be ok but I wouldn't risk it with takeaway ones. They've probably been reheated already.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will just dry out, you'll be left with a nasty, dry shell of a chip.

Bin!
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or add them to a curry. not if vinegar has been sprinkled on them.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never found a way to reheat chips that make them taste nice.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    home made chips are quite tasty reheated.

I wouldnt have put the takeaway ones in the freezer - just the fridge and heat them up the next day - they will taste very dry though.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Put them in fridge then microwave for two minutes the next day. Lashings of mayo or your sauce of choice and they taste fine.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I like re-heated chips. They're dryer and have an extra flavour to them.

I wouldn't want to eat them all the time though. But they're a nice treat the morning after you've made them. I never leave them longer than that, so I just leave them on a tray in the oven rather than refrigerate them. I tend to eat chips more in the cold months, and the oven keeps the dust out.

I also like fried potatoes, made from surplus boiled potatoes the day before.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    either use for a curry or re-fry briefly at a high temp.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried reheating chippy chips a couple of times and they tasted not too good. I am into those Aunt Bessie Homestyle oven chips at the minute, also the M&S fries are pretty good.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the Tesco value oven chips taste good and easy to prepare in just 15 mins from frozen using a halogen oven. At just 82p for a 1.5kg bag, I haven't been to the chippies since.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've no fryer, just zap them in a microwave on half power for 90-120 secs then pop under the grill to take away any sogginess (or in the oven if preferred).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only ever reheat home made chips. Basically, refry them for a bit next day. Never freeze them.

All other types (fries etc) go in the bin if not consumed
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I've put my bag of uneaten chips into the fridge overnight
    then the next day I have popped them all into a heated dry fry pan and jiggled them about till they are hot enough
    I like them ~with some houmous & salad cream or maybe some tomato sauce
    With grated cheese on top
    and or baked beans and an egg ~
    A bit of side salad always goes down well with some red onion and grated cheese
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Put them in fridge then microwave for two minutes the next day. Lashings of mayo or your sauce of choice and they taste fine.

i did this yesterday for my lunch with Friday's chippy chips..reheated them in microwave and they were even more tastier too :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've put my bag of uneaten chips into the fridge overnight
    then the next day I have popped them all into a heated dry fry pan and jiggled them about till they are hot enough
    I like them ~with some houmous & salad cream or maybe some tomato sauce
    With grated cheese on top
    and or baked beans and an egg ~
    A bit of side salad always goes down well with some red onion and grated cheese

aww i love your posts :) you like to try different stuff in your ''menus'' ..i like reading them
  • Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    aww i love your posts :) you like to try different stuff in your ''menus'' ..i like reading them

aww thank you Orangemaid x:)x
    .... Glad you enjoy them :p
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    I would think the bin is the best place. If you'd cooked them yourself they would possibly be ok but I wouldn't risk it with takeaway ones. They've probably been reheated already.

You would not risk it? I bet they will taste vile but I am curious what you think the dangers of reheating potato is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i had chippy fish n chips last night..had them fresh last night but halved them again..Had other half tonight..Took them out of fridge reheated them in microwave for 3 mins, then bunged them under hot grill , turned them once..Oohh nice and crispy, both the fish and chips were yummy..You can see them sizzle under the grill. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    You can see them sizzle under the grill. :D

Thats what grills do generally
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting the chips in the frying pan works
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats what grills do generally
    You don't say !! ( rolleyes) ^_^
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Don't bin them! They will be fine. They are never going to taste as good as when they were fresh though.

Microwace - Too soggy
    Deep fry - Too crispy

Never tried the grill method tough, but i imagine that would be even crispier than the fryer.

Still big blob of ketchup and mayo and your good to go whatever :)